Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Remington Wingmaster. 2962

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,262 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Remington Wingmaster.
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:56:48 AM »
Time for another review. This time, we are going to take a closer look at the Remington Wingmaster  18368.

The Remington Wingmaster  multi-tool is geared towards people who hunt birds with shotguns.  It is a rather specialized tool used in the upkeep of your shotgun, and in the field dressing of your game.

The above photo shows the tool closed.

The above photo shows the tool opened. You will notice that there are no pliers on this multi-tool. Instead, you get a nice heavy duty  pair of scissors.

What is really interesting about the heavy duty scissors is the swing locking mechanism that keeps the scissors blades closed when the handles are open.  To unlock the scissors, you have to squeeze the handles to disengage the locking mechanism. Note there is also a built in LED, and a on/off button found on one of the handles.

Here we see the lock in place, keeping the scissors closed. Once the lock is swung out, it can be swung into the handle with a full 200 degree turn to get it out of the way. The heavy duty scissors have an internal spring that is fairly strong and will keep the scissor blades apart making the use of them much easier.

Here, we see the bone notch cut out that is incorporated as part of the design of the main scissors. It also makes an excellent wire cutter/wire stripper.

On one side of the handles, we have a small pull out battery compartment that accepts two small watch batteries. These are used to power the fairly weak LED light that in incorporated into the handle. The LED is positioned towards the scissor blades. Perfect to illuminate what your cutting in low light. Don’t expect much power from the small and relatively weak LED lamp. It will however, illuminate enough to see where and what you’re cutting.

This being a very specialized tool, the folding tool assortment is rather limited for such a large multi-tool.

In one handle, we have:

-    1 ¾”  knife blade, 12 gauge/20 gauge choke tube wrench, and on/off button along with battery compartment.

On the other handle, we have:

-   3” saw, and gutting hook.

There is quite a bit more room for more tools, however, because of its specialization, you get a limited but focused set of tools geared towards bird  hunters.

Conclusion:
The Remington Wingmaster is a fairly cheap multi-tool to buy.  I know that there is a similar handled pair with pliers. They look almost identical, right down to the handle grips and LED button placement and shape. It is quite fair to state that Remington does not make this tool. It is made in China. With that said, the multi-tool is rather good for the amount of money that you pay for it. The LED is weak, but it is just enough to do what it is designed for. The folding tool selection is limited, but then again, it is perfectly adequate for its intended purpose. The scissors are massive and heavy duty. They are more like shears than anything else.  If you hunt birds…this is the perfect multi-tool for you. You get a built in shotgun wrench, all the tools you would need to do field dressing, and a comfortable grip. I am quite happy to state that the scissors are very comfortable to use with no sharp edges digging into the palm and fingers. If you are not a bird hunter, and are looking for a big pair that has scissors for its main arsenal, then look no further. I have cut 8 oz leather with these scissors like butter.  If on the other hand, you are looking for a general multi-tool, then look elsewhere.

Pros:
-   Heavy duty scissors.
-   Convenient bone notch that can be used for stripping/cutting wires.
-   Comfortable handles both in the open and closed position.
-   Locking mechanism on the scissors.
-   Built in light can be useful.
-   Folding tools snap solid at the 90 and 180 degree angle.

Cons:
-   Folding tool selection is limited. Those that you get are rather specialized.
-   LED lamp is not very bright. Only good to illuminate objects a foot or two in front of the scissors.
-   Rather heavy and bulky.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:04:50 AM by Chako »

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Remington Wingmaster.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:31:50 AM »
Great review :tu:

Where do you find the time to write them all :o

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
No Life Club Posts: 1,053 Where is all that water coming from?!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
And once again, very nice pictures!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
 I get plenty of free time in my line of work.  :)

Multitool Enthusiast Admin Team No Life Club Posts: 2,780 Staff Writer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:48:37 PM »
MAN!  :o Is there anything that can stop the Chako review train? Your going to make us folks who normally write the reviews a bad name.  ;) Currently I am on dial-up but should have high speed maybe next month, if the guys agree I will transfer these reviews you have been writing as well as others to the main site. I could probably do it on dial-up but it would be so painstakingly slow I might likely go mad. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your reviews. It's nice to see someone reviewing stuff that other folks have not, plus it gives a deeper look into the cheap import world. Thanks again. :tu:
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »
Well I have a few new pieces coming in sometime soon…

I enjoy doing the reviews. It gets me to do a little photography (big plus), and to express my opinions on some of the items I have. I don't view these reviews anywhere near as polished or professional as those on the main site. I still do stupid typos that for some reason, I don’t catch when I re-read my piece. Quite often, I am unable to fix them after I post the article.  :ahhh

But hey, I post them in here. What you guys decide to do with them is entirely up to you. I get my enjoyment in making them. I know that there aren’t that many reviews done on multi tools to be found on the net.
I endeavor to try and make good photographs, because I firmly believe a picture can say it more intelligently then I can in words. I am happy if I can help someone out there by making an informed decision, or at least, to study the photographs. I find that multi-tool manufacturers overall haven’t figured out how to make informative photographs of their products.

Enough of my belly aching though, I have another review to make soon.  :D

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:35:55 AM »
Nice write up and pics Chako. :tu:

Interesting design evolution. The original Remington bird hunter's multitool was made by Bear in the USA.
Link: https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bird+Hunters+Tool

Then they copied the design almost exactly and moved production to China. Now they've changed the handle design, but kept the same shears head.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:11:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know about that. You are right, that is an interesting evolution.

I wanted one for the collection to go along with my newer version, so I bought a Bear and Son's version on eBay. It will be my first Bear and Son multi tool.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:36:20 AM »
I know what you mean about that collection bit. Now I have to find a Wingmaster for mine. ::)

Thanks to you..... >:( :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:42:50 AM »
It just dawned on me...I may have to look for that cheap Chinese version also.  :(

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:12 AM »
It just dawned on me...I may have to look for that cheap Chinese version also.  :(

It's a viscous cycle. Where will it end? :ahhh

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 02:56:08 AM »
I know I can quite anytime. I am just not ready yet. I do have a definite goal in sight however.

-I have probably all the SOGs I need. The other versions are just basically different tool sets.
-I am working on my Leatherman collection. Right now, just fleshing it out. I still don't have any of the Squirt/Juice line yet, along with a few of the older models. I am finding eBay very helpful for that, and I reckon I can get those sometime down the road.
-I just put in an order for all the Victorinox MTs that I believe I will need. So i can scratch off Victorinox along with SOG.  :tu:
-I don't have the Wenger MTs yet...but that will come in their own good time. I am thinking my next order from felinevet might be a Wenger only order...might be a good time to pick those up.
-I don't have any of the Paladin tools yet. When its time, I will buy all 3 models at once....and be done with them.
-I don't have any Bear and Son's yet, other the one I just ordered. In fact, I had never heard of them until I started to visit this website. This series is on the back burner for me. That might change when I get my first one in. It all depends on how they feel, etc.
-I also will be working on my Gerber collection...but slowly. This is also on the back burner for now. I don't find Gerber MTs all that high in quality. I do plan on getting the 600 and 800s, and a few of the other models...but not my focus at the moment.

As for the SAK collection...well. I am not going into it with both feet. I just did an order to get some higher level Victorinox models to see what all the fuss is about. Right now, I only have some of the smaller Vics and Wengers. I will probably do one more order for Wengers, and then, I may pick up one or two that catch my eye here and there.

You see, I do have a plan.  :D

EDITL And to write reviews of what I get for this web site.  :tu:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:58:53 AM by Chako »

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 04:14:28 AM »
Whoa, that's a pretty ambitious plan. You may have to sell both kidneys in order to afford everything! :D

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 04:51:56 AM »
So long as I can keep my arms and legs...its all good!  :D

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,694 The MTO handshake.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
Chako what about these SOG's ; Switchplier, microtoolclip , Toolclip & there TiNi(gold colored hard coating)MT's :pok: :pok: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
I reckon those will be harder to come by. I haven't seen one posted on eBay yet...but I am looking.

There is on from France on eBay...but they want 200+ Canadian for it. I don't think so.

The newer models are easier to get. I am happy with my 4 specimens of the breed.  :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:15:54 PM by Chako »

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 61,323
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 03:23:07 AM »
 :tu: Another fine writeup Chako :) I have the Bear version of this tool and I like having the shears but like this version the tool set is a little lacking :( :D I do like the idea of the LED and seems like the mechanism that holds the shears together has been updated some :) Great read :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,694 The MTO handshake.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 04:12:49 AM »
I reckon those will be harder to come by. I haven't seen one posted on eBay yet...but I am looking.

There is on from France on eBay...but they want 200+ Canadian for it. I don't think so.

The newer models are easier to get. I am happy with my 4 specimens of the breed.  :D

Chako you need to experience 'the long hunt' :pok: :D. There was a second hand Swithchplier listed on ebay that got passed in at least 3 times(listed 3 times) , the seller had a minimum $50 starting bid that scared everyone away.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:35 AM »

Black TiNi though. Just think about that for a second:

Indestructable finish.

and black.

Deep, rich, haunting black.

and its a SOG

new in the box.

and they don't make them any more.

Black TiNi

Are you starting to salivate yet? :drool:

:D

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 05:15:04 AM »
You guys are just plain evil.  :ahhh  :D

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 61,323
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
You guys are just plain evil.  :ahhh  :D

:D :D

Donations

Operational Funds