Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Comparison of 3 odd multi tools that don't center on pliers.

Chako · 11 · 3951

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I was looking around at the local Canadian Tire, when I spoted a gift box. It sported a folding knife, a Swiss Army style knife, and a multi-tool. My eye went to the multi-tool straight away. I just had to have this odd duck.

I must admit. They tried to make this look more expensive than it actually is. That wooden box is only cleverly disguised plastic. Overall, not a bad box.

Here we have all 3 on top of the plastic fake wood lid.

Here is the set showing all the sharp and pointy bits.

And the flip side.

Now, this is most definitely a mixed back quality wise. The folder is actually not that bad. It comes very sharp, and at this price point, I wasn’t expecting that. The thumb knurl on the blade is a small metal disk that overlaps each side of the blade, making it rather ambidextrous. Not much else to tell about it. The liner lock is solid and secure. Another surprise that. The clip is also nice. The knife has a nice solid feel to it, and it would make a nice beater.

The SAK like knife is a total bust. It looks the part, but is large, heavy and very cheap. Interestingly enough, this tool configuration seems to be a very popular model out there. I have a Ruko that is of much higher quality, and another Carolina tools one that is about as cheap as this one .

The main issue with this tool, is that it punished your fingernails. Some of the folding tools are very hard to engage. The fish scale is the worst yet. To pull it out, you have to sort of get a fingernail into the v shaped tip, and somehow miraculously flick the tool open. The problem with the implementation on this one, the V notch goes into the body of the knife, meaning you can’t open it. For the above photos, I had to use a small pair of scissors to get it opened. Something that would be impossible in the field. The fit and finish is lacking on this one. The rubber gripping surface on one side is rather uneven, with a fairly wide gap between the rubber and the metal body that a palm can feel easily. This could cause some discomfort to the user.

The multi-tool is the main reason why I bought this gift set. I have never seen this type before other than fencing pliers. This one differs in that it has folding tools in the handle. A pliers/hammer combo is unique enough I would imagine. This is a fairly heavy and solid multi-tool. The pliers are of the fixed variant. The exception being that the jaws are also shaped to form a hammer. You have the head on one jaw, and the claw on the other. When the pliers are locked closed by a small metal clasp, you can hammer nails and remove them. With the jaws opened, you have a weird looking set of pliers.  In keeping with the fence theme, there is also a very large set of wire cutters.

The handles contain a folding knife, a combo serrated blade/file/wire stripper/large flathead screwdriver, a large and fairly sharp can opener, a Phillips head screwdriver, and a small swing out flathead screwdriver/scrapper.

This tool naturally leads to a comparison of other strange tools that I have.

From left to right: Unknown adjustable wrench, Sheffield Camping Axe, and Unknown Fencing Pliers.

These 3 odd ducks showing off their folding arsenal.

Now, the interesting thing is that both the adjustable wrench and the Camping tool have almost the same set of tools, construction build, etc. One would think that they are both Sheffield tools, or they were made in China, one being made for Sheffield tools. I don’t know which is true. What I do know is that the similar tool configuration, construction, and quality tell me that they were made at the same plant.
The folding tools on all three do not lock. Mind you, these are all rather cheap multi-tools I can’t expect much for 20-25 dollars. With that said, you get your money’s worth with any of these. They are well built and sturdy.

The major downfall with the Camping tool and the fencing pliers, the handles aren’t long enough to give the user some good leverage to really get some work done. Consequently, you could hammer or shop for a very long time as each blow won’t have much force behind it.

Unknown Adjustable Wrench
Pros:
-   Solid and fairly well built.
-   Wrench works well.
-   Smooth adjustable action.
-   Good complement of folding tools.
-   Price.
Cons:
-   Folding tools do not lock.
-   Handle is a bit thick to use the wrench comfortably.

Sheffield Camping Tool:
Pros:
-   Axe is sharp on arrival.
-   Good complement of folding tools.
-   Price.
Cons:
-   Folding tools do not lock.
-   Due to the size and design, the axe head is of a size to make the tool almost useless.
-   Short handle means you get no force behind a chop.

Unknown Fencing Pliers.
Pros:
-   A very good assortment of folding tools.
-   Lots of uses for a small hammer and claw other than for hammering nails home.
-   No wobble when the folding tools are fully deployed.
Cons:
-   Handle is too small to generate enough leverage to get a solid strong hit when using the hammer.
-   Must open the can opener to access the small folding flathead/scrapper.
-   Heavy.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:20:47 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Well there certainly different :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Dang it. Not sure which is worst....reading it the next day and seeing all the typos and mistakes, or reading it the next day and seeing all the typos and mistakes and not being able to correct them.  I seriously wish I could fix them after the fact. For some reason, I never see them when I make the bloody article. :twak: :twak:

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Relax dude! Nice review on strange tools, like it. Thanks!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Chako I like the look of those hammer MT's. What is it like to actually whack stuff with it  :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Chako I like the look of those hammer MT's. What is it like to actually whack stuff with it  :think:

I have a version of that hammer MT and it's horrible.  You're better off using the butt end of a Maglite IMO.  Too short, badly balanced, and so wide that it's likely you'll mash your fingers when you swing.

:P

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I agree.

It does looke good in a collection though. cheap and different.  :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I have to say, it looks better than that removable head multi-axe lawsuit-waiting-to-happen tool that J-Sews posted a while back!   :o

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I have to say, it looks better than that removable head multi-axe lawsuit-waiting-to-happen tool that J-Sews posted a while back!   :o

Def

::) :rofl:

Great write-up on some odd tools Chako :tu:

Dang it. Not sure which is worst....reading it the next day and seeing all the typos and mistakes, or reading it the next day and seeing all the typos and mistakes and not being able to correct them.  I seriously wish I could fix them after the fact. For some reason, I never see them when I make the bloody article. :twak: :twak:

You could type them up before hand on some type of word program then use spell check :) if you use Firefox it spell checks as you type but I still seem to misspell stuff :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I do oddly enough. My issue is that I type so fast that I often will want to type up one word, my brain will go in an opposite tangent, and type in another word. I read it, skip over the mistakes, and post it. When I come back to the article, it has been some time, and they glaringly look at me in the eye when I read it after the fact. I am cursed lol.  :drink:

By the way PM sent to you.

I am thick. just noticed that there is a preview function.  :twak: :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:39:57 PM by Chako »

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Re: Comparison of 3 odd multi tools that don't center on pliers.
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:04 PM
They stock something that looks similar to the hammer type tool in B&Q in the UK, for about £5. On the one I bought the blade is so stiff that I need a screwdriver or similar to open it, sounds like yours is better though :)

Nice pictures :salute:
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32