Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Famous or Infamous?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Famous or Infamous?
on: April 19, 2007, 04:17:50 PM
Tim Leatherman has been called the "Inventor of the Multitool" which most (if not all) Multitool.org members should know by now is not entirely true.  I hadn't realized that SOG had gone on that bandwagon with a similar statement.  While reading about Spencer Frazer, the CEO and founder of SOG Knives.  He is also responsable for all of the designs produced by SOG.  You can see all of his info on SOG's site:

http://sogknives.com/about/spencer/index.php

The bit that I found interesting was this line, in which they are mentioning their innovations:

We were the second company to produce a folding multi-tool with the Paratool.

It seems that they either believe, or are willing to promote the story that Leatherman "invented" the multitool.  Of course it's written to sound impressive, which it does and adds to an impressive list, but you have to wonder a bit about it.  Especially since the tool in question is the ParaTool.  If it had been a compund leverage model (PowerPlier, PowerLock etc) then it could have been listed as the "second company to produce a 'W' style folding plier" which may have been more accurate.  At least then they would have been in the same catagory.  However, since the design of the ParaTool is radically different from the PST, that opens up the catagory somewhat, and there are numerous previous examples that disprove this theory.

Of course, being the second company to the market with a substantially different tool and not a knock off sounds more impressive than being the second company to the current generation of the market. 

But then, history is written by the winners, and I am certain almost everyone at SOG drives a better car than I do, so I guess it's up to them to tell the story how they want to!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Re: Famous or Infamous?
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:14:18 AM
  :twak:I beleive that the first multi tool would have been a stone with a sharp edge something you could use for beating your food to death and then perparing it over the fire.   I don't think Leatherman SOG or SAKs were around then.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:39:50 AM
That would depend on your definition of course, but I think we can all agree that it's not likely anyone would have designed that rock!

It may have been chosen for it's shape, or chipped away to make it more effective, but I don't think you could call it engineered, invented or developed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:26:30 AM
The bit that I found interesting was this line, in which they are mentioning their innovations:

We were the second company to produce a folding multi-tool with the Paratool.

It seems that they either believe, or are willing to promote the story that Leatherman "invented" the multitool....... 

Upon further investigation, it appears that they picked their words carefully, and with a reason. The SOG ParaTool was patented in 1992, but SOG was already selling the full-sized ToolClip at least one year prior  to that.

However, the ToolClip was made and imported from Seki, Japan, which is apparently why SOG chooses to overlook it in their Website history blurb. Hence the "We were the second company to produce a folding multi-tool with the Paratool" quote.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 02:33:40 AM
Interesting... that particular slip went right under my radar!

Good catch!

:multi:

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 01:48:39 AM
i am going to guess that the folks at Leatherman also drive better cars than you do!

:pok:

bout time you put in that pokey stick icon thing
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:00:18 AM
It's not too hard to drive a better car than I do!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%