Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is a flash drive?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
What is a flash drive?
on: August 01, 2009, 02:37:02 AM
Hi all,
I don't understand all of the computer mumbo jumbo when i look one these up.  I just have some questions:
First off, I'm talking about those little things you can put on a key chain and plug into a USB port...is that a flash drive?
What are they for?  I tried using one once to store some pics on and I can't find the pics. 
Can you store your actual stuff on there like more than just files or music or what?  Can you put programs on them too?
I just don't know anything about them.  I am still catching up on all the computer stuff my laptop and phone can do and would like to understand the this to see if it is something I could really use.
So, any help out there?
Thanks,
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What is a flash drive?
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 02:46:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

It's just a type of storage media, like hard drive, cd, etc. But it can be accessed very quickly compare to others, some new computer use flash memory exclusively instead of hard drive. Anything you put on your hard drive you can put on them (although some may need you to play with computer settings).

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:48:36 AM
yes those keychaing things you plug into the usb port are called flash drives, theyre like a hard drive only that theyre based on a type of memory called "flash" usually faster than regular magnetic hard drives(the more common class)

yes you can store whatever in there, like a secondary hard drive, even install programs and carry them arround

if you have problems finding your stuff, just go to "my computer" and there it should be listed as another hard drive or as a usb flash drive

theyre are used because the practicity, easy to use, transfer speed and they come in various capacities, from 8MB to 120GB

hope this answear youre question :)

BTW if i wasnt clear, maybe this guy can explain it better with this video:

hope it helps :salute:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:50:55 AM by cliosguy »
A

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:46:38 AM
Flash drives are also known as "flash keys" or "USB thumb drives" because they're about the size of a house key or your thumb.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:35:16 PM
Greatest things in the world right now. I have a 8gb that I carry everywhere. It holds all the music i want and any files and pics I may need.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 05:51:38 PM
I'm about to replace my stock jeep radio with one that has a flashdrive port for mp3 and a aux in for my zune. Who uses cds for storage anymore?

btw i miss minidisc players.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 07:27:02 PM
Do exersise caution when buying a flash drive as the item below will not be compatible with Vista

;)
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:38 PM
<groan> :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:43:12 AM
Hi all,
I don't understand all of the computer mumbo jumbo when i look one these up.  I just have some questions:
First off, I'm talking about those little things you can put on a key chain and plug into a USB port...is that a flash drive?
What are they for?  I tried using one once to store some pics on and I can't find the pics. 
Can you store your actual stuff on there like more than just files or music or what?  Can you put programs on them too?
I just don't know anything about them.  I am still catching up on all the computer stuff my laptop and phone can do and would like to understand the this to see if it is something I could really use.
So, any help out there?
Thanks,
Gray

Gray, since this is MTO here's one that might appeal to you:

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1179&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Price isn't that out of line when compared with prices for a separate thumb drive and a separate Alox Classic.

Not only is it possible to store files, but many modern computers can boot from a thumb drive.

You can put your OS, browser, mail, other programs and files on a thumb drive that can be carried on your keychain.

Plug into a suitable computer then boot up into your own familiar environment with all of your usual stuff available.

N

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:56:16 PM
I have a tiny 4GB drive in my wallet at all times.... very useful item :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:28 AM
Get an Iron Key.
(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!