Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Imco lighters

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Imco lighters
on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:58 AM
Got my lot of three imco lighters in today, pretty neat little lighters, the flint replacement is ingenious

The color on these is actually much more subtle than it appears here...I actually like the all silver one I have the best though..

to remove the flint swing this little part open

flint drops in here, no screws or anything like that to fiddle with

push the rod back in, the tension is always there because of the spring and needs no adjustment...shut it and you're done.

This one has a collar that you can slide up and down the vent holes to adjust the flame somewhat:
In addition to that the tank slides out (while it is lit even) althought i'm not sure what you could use this for.

No lighter fluid here at the moment...so i'll have to add a picture of it setting something on fire later.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: Imco lighters
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:33:45 AM
I think you can use gasoline with emcos.
(

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:10 AM
I'll try it out if you pay my hospital bill  :D

Magic Bus

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:25:17 AM
I haven't seen one of these in years. Lovely things and an ingenious design. I want one  :D

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:29:41 AM
I'll try it out if you pay my hospital bill  :D
LOL :D :D Those are really cool.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:32:08 AM
I gave my last one away ::)

But on seeing your pic's I'll try and get another one soon :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:25 AM
I EDC one of them! Great stuff, keeps lighter fluid better and longer than Zippos and very inexpensive!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:23:08 AM
Like many others (I think everyone has owned an Imco at some stage) I have one and think they are great.  There seems to be some variations on the workings of the above design as I currently have one that takes a flint like the pictures above, but the one I sadly lost worked very differently.
I'm back!!

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:15:09 AM
was it an older one? how did it work? i have 3 models and they all work this way.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 07:17:35 PM
was it an older one? how did it work? i have 3 models and they all work this way.

I'm not really sure TBH, but the flint replacement happened by poppin it all out the top rather than swinging the arm out and the part that holds the wick was different as well.
I'm back!!

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:07:12 PM
I'm testing out how long one will hold fuel while being stored without being opened, it seems to be sealed up better than your average zippo. Anyone know?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:22 PM
How are you going to test it?
I'm back!!

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 12:10:13 AM

Fill it up, make a note of the date and let it sit? maybe check it every month? I dont know, maybe i'm in for a really long test...if it's empty in a month, i'll fill it back up and try weekly or something..any advice?
or does anyone have an educated guess at or personal experience with how long it will last in there? I don't smoke, so this will probably be something I just keep in my bag. I just want to know how often i'll have to fool with it.

I was going to get one of those peanut lighters, but if this lasts a reasonable amount of time, i won't. I might still get one of the key chain split pea ones.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:12:34 AM

Fill it up, make a note of the date and let it sit? maybe check it every month? I dont know, maybe i'm in for a really long test...if it's empty in a month, i'll fill it back up and try weekly or something..any advice?
or does anyone have an educated guess at or personal experience with how long it will last in there? I don't smoke, so this will probably be something I just keep in my bag. I just want to know how often i'll have to fool with it.

I was going to get one of those peanut lighters, but if this lasts a reasonable amount of time, i won't. I might still get one of the key chain split pea ones.

Check back weekly is probably better, my zippo lose most of its fluid in a week.

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Check back weekly is probably better, my zippo lose most of its fluid in a week.

Thanks, I will check after a week the first time, I don't know why, but i feel like it will do a better job than a zippo, it just seems to be sealed up better. I could be wrong. I haven't had a zippo in years.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 12:04:32 AM
In addition to that the tank slides out (while it is lit even) althought i'm not sure what you could use this for.

Very handy to have a removable 'candle' for fire starting and maybe other purposes.

IMO these lighters are superior to Zippos for outdoor use.

Used to carry one of these as a backup to my Scripto VueLighter for camping and backpacking.

Fuel does seem to last longer in these than a Zippo before evaporating, although I've never done any systematic testing.

N

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 10:10:15 PM
I'm currently carrying my very old Imco Junior and it get used daily. I think I last filled it up over a week ago and it's still going strong. They are brilliant lighters, well worth the money you can pick them up for.

I just got an old Streamline model too with Chesterfield marketing on it - really nice piece  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59