Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i anybody still watching Alone?

styx · 39 · 1111

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: i anybody still watching Alone?
Reply #30 on: February 09, 2024, 02:40:20 AM
The way I see it is this: Les Stroud (Survivorman) takes the same stance as you do here, if it's fresh, clear, and flowing it's most likely safe to drink. That said, the man has also gotten giardia multiple times in his life for that attitude and whilst it's a very unlikely, would you want to be the guy that lost out on $500,000 for not doing something so basic and well known?

Around here I take my chances as not boiling water is the daily reality and has been for hundreds of years. In locations I don't know as well I would be more hesitant.

Boiling water might be basic, but it isn't free. It takes time, effort, firewood. And it adds some risks of its own connected to that. People have left Alone from burning down their shelters, fish hooks, falling, axe and knife injuries and so on. There is a risk and cost to everything, as well as an upside by doing or not doing. (Or to the extent or quality you do it). As you say I don't want to be the guy going home for not boiling bad water. Equally though I don't want to be the guy going home for chopping myself in the leg while getting firewood to boil perfectly fine water..  :D

Realistically I think I would try to balance the extra work with boiling water against the perceived risk at a location while also having in mind any extra risk due to chopping more wood and doing more fires inside. Certainly a point worth thinking carefully about though, and that didn't even cross my mind as a potential issue before. ::)

Like packing clothes specifically with a mind to destroy them for resources, which has been one of the more interesting elements of the show imo.

And boats. I had no idea boats would take off as such a big thing, who the hell aspires to build a boat in these situations and succeeds? Skillful insanity.

I think that is one of the more interesting parts of the show. How the "free" items can be made or used for more tasks.

Totally agree on the boats - impressive! Not sure of the actual success rate though? Some of the shelters have been quite impressive too, but some seemed to have taken too much energy to build.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 09, 2024, 04:01:18 AM
There was a winner without a sleeping bag? What was considered more important?
*AGAIN, SPOILER ALERT*

Season 4 winners did not take a sleeping bag.  I suspect the fact that they were competing as a team of two may have influenced this.  They were also a bit of an outlier in other ways.  They still took seven of the ten items most popular with winners:  axe, saw, pot, MT, snare wire, fishing kit, and bow & arrows.  They did not take a sleeping bag, a ferro rod, or paracord, opting instead for a gill net, 12’x12’ tarp, and emergency rations.

Though not included in my original analysis, the Alone Australia Season 1 winner also did not take a sleeping bag.  She did take all nine of the other items most popular with other winners though.  She used her open slot to take a 3-pound block of salt.  Apparently she took an oversized coat to use in lieu of a sleeping bag, so the coat counted against her allowed clothing rather than her ten items.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 09, 2024, 04:08:33 AM
Around here I take my chances as not boiling water is the daily reality and has been for hundreds of years. In locations I don't know as well I would be more hesitant.

Boiling water might be basic, but it isn't free. It takes time, effort, firewood. And it adds some risks of its own connected to that. People have left Alone from burning down their shelters, fish hooks, falling, axe and knife injuries and so on. There is a risk and cost to everything, as well as an upside by doing or not doing. (Or to the extent or quality you do it). As you say I don't want to be the guy going home for not boiling bad water. Equally though I don't want to be the guy going home for chopping myself in the leg while getting firewood to boil perfectly fine water..  :D

Realistically I think I would try to balance the extra work with boiling water against the perceived risk at a location while also having in mind any extra risk due to chopping more wood and doing more fires inside. Certainly a point worth thinking carefully about though, and that didn't even cross my mind as a potential issue before. ::)

I think my ideal would be boiling enough water for the day using preplanned fires, they drop into the Canadian north around late September I think, so between cooking, warmth, psychological benefits, and crafting reasons I'd imagine most would want a fire daily anyway. That's another argument for the canteen/flask as an item alongside the pot, but I imagine it'd probably be possible to make some drink-safe water containers. Clothing free items would probably help there, I remember one woman would use a waterproof boot to collect water from the lake and bring it to the shelter.

I think that is one of the more interesting parts of the show. How the "free" items can be made or used for more tasks.

Totally agree on the boats - impressive! Not sure of the actual success rate though? Some of the shelters have been quite impressive too, but some seemed to have taken too much energy to build.

The use of gaters really surprised me, basically just a source of waterproof/flame resistant/translucent plastic.

As for boats, from what I remember everyone that set out to make a boat ended up with a useable one after some trial and error. I think they all also had some degree of fishing success with them too. Whether or not that outweighs the time, calories, and materials used to make them is a much bigger grey area though.

I really enjoy seeing campcrafts, the chairs, cups, games etc. things to improve quality of life and tackle the mind game. Sadly, however, the editors often glance over that and we instead just see a guy drinking from a cup whilst an onscreen text says 'X made this cup on day Y.' There was one guy that made a foot-operated faucet for his sink and created a whole american-football board game, then quite because he missed his partner. A shame, that dude was not only inventive, he was thriving.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 09, 2024, 04:56:25 AM
I remember one woman would use a waterproof boot to collect water from the lake and bring it to the shelter.

If I did that with some well used boots they would kill and disinfect anything the water too! Then possibly me.  :D

I really enjoy seeing campcrafts, the chairs, cups, games etc. things to improve quality of life and tackle the mind game. Sadly, however, the editors often glance over that and we instead just see a guy drinking from a cup whilst an onscreen text says 'X made this cup on day Y.' There was one guy that made a foot-operated faucet for his sink and created a whole american-football board game, then quite because he missed his partner. A shame, that dude was not only inventive, he was thriving.

Yes, I agree on that. Instead of some of the time spent talking about home, or repeat some personal stories, it would be more interesting to see what and how they actually do various titbits on Alone.

I tried looking for the equipment list of the Norwegian version some years ago. It seems all might have got the same equipment. Looking for it I found that they have a Swedish and Danish version too. They seem to have been dropped someone in Norway as well. (Denmark is 7 seasons so I guess more locations).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 09, 2024, 05:36:01 AM
Found the Danish seasons at SBS Australia so giving it a go. First season participants are dropped at Altevann which is at about 68 degrees north and inland up in the high plains. Might get interesting.  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: February 09, 2024, 04:14:03 PM
Who is your favorite?

Name        Age
Season 1 Alan Kay.  40
Season 2 David McIntyre.  50
Season 3 Zachary Fowler.  36
Season 4 Ted and Jim Baird.  32/35
Season 5 Sam Larson.  24
Season 6 Jordan Jonas.  35
Season 7 Roland Welker.  47
Season 8 Clay Hayes.  40
Season 9 Juan Pablo Quinonez.  30
Season 10 Alan Tenta.  52

Alone Frozen Woniya Thibeult.  45

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 09, 2024, 04:36:27 PM
My favourites would be Jordan Jonas and Roland Welker. Anyone running out in the dark in their underpants to fight a wolverine, and who did great overall deserves to be a favourite I reckon. And I think Roland did great and could probably have stayed a lot longer. And of course attacking a musk ox with a knife takes a special kind of crazy confidence!

The Norwegian winner was great too, although he was the clear favourite from the start. Outdoorsman who had worked earlier as a sniper. After winning the Norwegian Alone he went on to stay 3 months alone over the winter up in some mountain to make another TV series. Then he did 15 months roaming around the Slave Lake in Canada with his dogs. And some dog sledding, crossing Greenland and so on. Classic adventure type - a wild one! :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: February 09, 2024, 05:28:22 PM
 :iagree:

I also liked David Season 2.  I was routing for Woniya as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 09, 2024, 11:29:05 PM
Fowler and Clay were the ones I was betting on. Others, so far I've missed by some degree.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%