Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survivorman MT'S

Offline amw_billythekid

Survivorman MT'S
on: August 02, 2009, 09:19:15 AM
Hey guys my pc died so I haven't been on for a bit but I must say this is the best forum/blog I have ever seena good group of people and thank you for all the answers to my sometimes stupid questions.

But I have another Les used a few diffrent MT's in the show I know he likes the wave and used the charge a couple of times.

So I am asking does anyone what the others were he used I know I've seen a vic on the episode "Lost at sea", and some SAK's in there can anyone give me a list of all the diffrent tools/knifives he used in survivorman?

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Re: Survivorman MT'S
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:45:05 PM
I think the general consensus was that Les was using a Victorinox Huntsman SAK.  I know he also carried a Buck belt knife on occasion.  Not sure what the monstrosity was he was carrying in the African Plains episode.  I've never seen him use anything other than a LM Wave, though some other folks have said they thought they saw him have a SwissTool at some point.

I "harvested" a bunch of answers from Les's online FAQ and posted them here in a recent thread.  You can check that, as he does mention his MT usage, and the Buck knife.  (He's not too clear about the "standard Swiss" though...  :D)

Hope that helps.    :tool:
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:55:17 PM
Not sure what the monstrosity was he was carrying in the African Plains episode.
If you're talking about the big Bowie knife like thing then IIRC he said he picked it up locally.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:18:52 PM
Not sure what the monstrosity was he was carrying in the African Plains episode.
If you're talking about the big Bowie knife like thing then IIRC he said he picked it up locally.

That would be the one.

Seemed rather less than reassuring against a lion...

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:40:27 PM
If you look closely in the Cook Island episode, and in a few of the newer ones, he is using a Surge.  He's used a Swisstool, Wave, Charge, Surge, Buck knife, SAK (Huntsman I believe, as it looked like a four layer SAK), and that cheap looking bowie/Rambo survival knife he was going to use to fight the lions.  LOL.  If you watch his "Behind the Scenes" episode, when he's in the Amazon, one of the natives is looking wonderously at his SAK.  Pretty cool.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:49:35 PM
The first couple of season, Les was sponsored by Mountain Co-Op Equipment (MEC) so you KNOW he must have gotten most (if not, all) of those MTs and his other gear for free.  :drool:  In his final season of Survivorman and his new show "Survive This", Les is sponsored by Columbia which is why he and the all the kids on ST are wearing Columbia clothing.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:48:47 PM
There's also a clip in the second behind the scenes episode of one of the Waorani holding/using what looked like Vic Rucksack during the blowgun training.  Maybe a gift from the crew to the locals?

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:22:29 PM
I was just watching a taped one a few minutes ago. It's the one where he's in the Utah wild. The one where he's got the mountain bike. When he was scraping off magnesium off the fire starter it almost looks like he has a Spirit. It definitely has similar locks on it. I would look again but my son doesn't feel good today and wanted to watch SpongeBob.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:58:40 PM
You get a pretty good look at it when he stabs the bike tire near the start of the episode.  I'm pretty convinced it's a full sized Swiss Tool. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:54:31 PM
You get a pretty good look at it when he stabs the bike tire near the start of the episode.  I'm pretty convinced it's a full sized Swiss Tool. 
I'll watch it again and double check. I was having trouble deciding if it was a full size ST or a Spirit. The reason I said Spirit was when he was scraping the magnesium the sides looked really smooth whereas the ST has the ruler markings. Of course I don't have the greatest TV in the world so I may have wrong.

us Offline Paracord Junky

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:33 PM
in Canyonlands he used a full-size ST.  i looked at the DVD.

Offline thirtyg

• New User
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 01:49:02 AM

From watching the episode it looks to be the same knife used in Rambo first blood 2.  The blade, guard, and hilt look exactly the same. there are many variations out there of this knife as far as different colors, but it matches.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:54:46 AM by thirtyg »

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:27:53 AM
Amici,
sorry to necropost, but in the first series, he used the ORIGINAL wave before making the transition to the Swisstool X, Surge, then finished of the series using the Charge TTI and a Buck 119 as his primary fixed blade.

The SAK featured was also the Huntsman model.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 06:09:02 AM
in Canyonlands he used a full-size ST.  i looked at the DVD.
Agreed - I can't remember if it was when he popped the bike tire, or when he was scraping the magnesium fire block, but I got a good look at the top fourth of the tool, and it was definitely a Swisstool.  I clearly saw the smooth face and the unlocking mechanisms, and I was able to see the curvature of the handles.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 07:19:29 PM
I ended up ordering the first two seasons on DVD, and in the Utah one, he's definitely using a Swiss MT, though I'm not observant enough to tell if it's a SwissTool or a Spirit.

In the 1st Season "Jungle" episode, and the 2nd Season "Amazon" episode, he's using a Wave.

My nostalgic favorite is still the "Boreal Forest" episode.  Nothing but a SAK...   :D

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 11:44:39 PM
Amici,
That's a Swisstool X he used in the canyonlands, lost at sea, and Mountain episodes..

My personal favorites were the Costa Rica, Pacific island, and Alaskan episodes..

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:46:52 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 06:06:39 AM
I just finished watching the Costa Rican Jungle Episode, where he spent about three days on the beach, then headed into the Jungle where he cut his finger with his Multitool as he was trying to get water by cutting a vine.  I got a fair look his Multitool and, judging from the size of the tool, and especially the size of the scissors, I believe it was a Surge.  I could be wrong, though.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 03:02:05 PM
Bump for his latest episode:  No Camillus knife to be seen; instead, I'm almost certain the knife in his car's emergency supplies was his Helle Temagami. ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:54:03 AM
I should have a thread here in this forum with screenshots of all the MT/knife I've noticed, probably quite a few pages back now.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 03:52:48 AM
I have not noticed one MT in the new season. He might have exclusive rights with a company?
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 11:39:12 AM
He did use the Camillus knives (two of them) in the first double episode. One fixed blade and one folder.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 02:41:06 PM
He did use the Camillus knives (two of them) in the first double episode. One fixed blade and one folder.

His Mexico episodes featured his SK Arctic and SK Desert knives; his Norway episode, part 1, has thus far featured his Temagami.  You're right, though he mentioned having his multitool in the Mexico episodes, it was never seen.  I've not yet seen it in his Norway episode, either.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 08:49:53 PM
From the look of things it appears he sold out.    :facepalm: I dont think I can blame him, but I loved seeing the multis in the show.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD