Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck X-Tract

Offline Sharpdogs

Buck X-Tract
on: September 19, 2006, 12:56:55 AM
Has anyone handled the new Buck X-Tract?  I saw a picture in Blade.  Looks pretty cool. 

http://www.buckknives.com/search.php?p=1&lang=en&include=&exclude=&penalty=0&mode=any&q=x-tract&op=search
w

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Buck X-Tract
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 01:10:33 AM
I know two guys who ordered one, from two different sources, and both were put on back order.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 02:09:40 AM
That happens alot with new products of any kind... the manufacturer has a launch date but they either don't launch on time, or they don't have the volume ready and only send out a fraction of what's needed.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 06:49:43 AM
I've got one on order... er... I mean backorder... hehe
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:06:50 AM
I just received an email notification that my X-tract has been shipped.  I'll post pics and a review after I receive it.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline joebw

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 01:09:26 AM
Hi All,

Finally, my X-TRACT arrived today.  It is a neat tool, but not a real strong one.  Initial thoughts are:

1.  Knife blade is sharp.  Plain edge section sharpened on both sides.  Serrated only on one side.  Will sharpening be a challenge?

2.  Pliers look ok for light work.  How long the spring will stay put is an interesting question.

3.  Bottle & can opener - sure it will open bottles.  I haven't tried it yet, but the unsharpened & thick edge looks like it will squash cans.

4.  The slide-in & out screwdrivers look like they will work IF the screw isn't too tight.  I think with a small amount of torque, things will go asunder.

All in all, for $30, it is an OK tool.  Be iny=terested to try it for a few weeks and to hear what others think.

Joe

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:43:05 AM
And the list grows one tool longer....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 06:40:30 AM
I've had mine a little over a week now and I love it.  The one part of it I'm really disappointed with are the pliers.  They are pretty weak and with the way the handle is it's hard to get a good tight grip.  They're pretty much only good for really light work.

I absolutely love the blade.  Out of the box sharp, and so far has held it's edge really well.

The sliding screwdrivers are actually a lot more useful than I originally thought.  I had thought there would be a really bad clearance issue since they don't stick out from the handle all that far.  So far, I haven't run into anything that I haven't been able to get at.  The design / size of the handle allows you to get a good grip on it, and I've been able to loosen some pretty tight / rusty screws.  I've used the flat blade for a little bit of prying, and it seems to hold up well.

Like I said, the one bad part of this tool is the pliers.  You can open everything on this tool one handed, and I really like how the pliers slide out.  I just wish they had made them a bit stronger.

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 03:22:58 AM
I am looking for another tool that was quite similar to the X-Tract and I am sure one of our members posted it on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it on here......anyone remember this tool I am talking about or am I losing it? ???

Kap
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 03:33:22 AM
Meyerco Paradox, designed by Blackie Collins. There is a review by DavidBinGA here:  http://multitool.org/content/view/23/1/
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 03:36:11 AM
.....and some character by the name of Kapt Kopter posted a picture of it here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,111.0.html

:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 03:51:00 AM
Watch out for that Kapt Lopter guy... I hear he's one of them Canadians and you know they can't be trusted!

Def

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 04:08:54 AM
Good grief I must be losing it :o........thx guys for bring that up from my own post :o
It would be neat to compare the two tools head to head.

Kap
I

Offline damota

Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 01:58:50 PM
Meyerco Paradox, designed by Blackie Collins. There is a review by DavidBinGA here:  http://multitool.org/content/view/23/1/

The review in the <The great multitool picture thread> Page 3 about half way down http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83.30.html
is a lot more acurate than that one. J-sews makes a good observation on page 4 "the Paradox is a unique item to have in your collection, but don't ever plan to use it out in the real world." Still in some place's in the US they are almost giveing it away = less then $12.

Dave

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 05:25:29 PM
I found it interesting that Meyerco is using AUS8 steel while the X-Track is only using the regular 420j

Kap
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 08:59:15 PM
I found it interesting that Meyerco is using AUS8 steel while the X-Track is only using the regular 420j

Kap

How ironic: the Meyerco uses better quality AUS8 steel in their knife blade, yet makes their pliers out of cast zinc alloy. (What kind of moron would make pliers out of cast zinc?)

What are the X-Tract pliers made from?

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 02:40:34 AM
I've got both the Paradox and the Xtract... The paradox is just odd to use.  The plier handle is on an odd angle to the handle and makes gripping things weird (in my opinion)

The more I use the Xtract, the more I like it.  I still wish the pliers were a bit beefier...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 03:17:13 AM
How ironic: the Meyerco uses better quality AUS8 steel in their knife blade, yet makes their pliers out of cast zinc alloy. (What kind of moron would make pliers out of cast zinc?)

Okay, I guess I am the moron. I just stuck a magnet to the pliers on my Meyerco Paradox. They are definitely made from steel, not zinc. I was fooled by the heavy zinc plating, which I suppose is there to prevent corrosion.

But even though the plier material itself is stronger than I had imagined, the leverage design is still very weak. Hardly any gripping power is available.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 03:25:03 AM
The review in the <The great multitool picture thread> Page 3 about half way down http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83.30.html
is a lot more acurate than that one.
Dave

Hey Def, it looks like only a small portion of DavidBinGA's review of the Paradox is in the main REVIEW section. How about adding the rest of it?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 03:37:37 AM
To the best of my knowledge, that's all there is...

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 03:46:08 AM
Odd......

When I look in the main REVIEW section, I'm only seeing the first two paragraphs:  http://multitool.org/content/view/23/1/

Then when I look at the same review posted halfway down the page here, I see the entire review complete:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83.30.html

Offline damota

Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 11:09:02 AM

Okay, I guess I am the moron. I just stuck a magnet to the pliers on my Meyerco Paradox. They are definitely made from steel, not zinc. I was fooled by the heavy zinc plating, which I suppose is there to prevent corrosion.

But even though the plier material itself is stronger than I had imagined, the leverage design is still very weak. Hardly any gripping power is available.

I tried that but I still have a problem of trust with how thin the driver arm is were the head fits when folded considering the torque that could be applied using the screw driver. I do not know if mine was at the end of the production run but the jaws have to be forced to close. I intend to strip it in the future and use a more meaty screw or small washer were the head rests against, when in the open position.
A simple knife, plier and screw driver unit would (I think) be the perfect carry mate along with your multitool, if only used to stop the other end turning when undoing/tightening a nut. I wonder if the screw drivers on the Buck fit into any of the bit adapters.

Dave

Offline Thargor

Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 03:20:40 PM
So the X-Tract then, a worthy purchase and EDC multitool option or just a knife with a couple of tools tacked on as a gimmick? Does anyone have one and absolutley hate it? Im seriously tempted to go for one...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 11:09:41 PM
Odd......

When I look in the main REVIEW section, I'm only seeing the first two paragraphs:  http://multitool.org/content/view/23/1/

Then when I look at the same review posted halfway down the page here, I see the entire review complete:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83.30.html

Two different reviews.  The one posted on the main site is an old one from The Multitool Manifesto, written by David Bowen.

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:17 PM
Hey guys, I have a X-Tract as well, was wearing it today as a matter of fact.. It does have it's good points and bad points.

Good: One hand opening blade
One hand access to all tools
Rugged construction
Nice sheath

Bad: Knife is 420, would be nicer if it was AUS8 or something
Serrations not as favorable as spyderco's (sorry...biased)
Plastic exterior....give me a sak feel (nothing against the swiss  O0)
Pliers are a little wimpy.

David

Offline damota

Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 12:52:27 AM
So the X-Tract then, a worthy purchase and EDC multitool option or just a knife with a couple of tools tacked on as a gimmick? Does anyone have one and absolutley hate it? Im seriously tempted to go for one...

The CRKT Guppie and Zilla should be out soon. Even better the Wenger Rangers look interesting although a bit short on the ground at the moment. Unless you want a tool like the X-Tract now if I was you I would wait to see just what those tools are like. I know I am getting a Guppie no matter what. That short slip joint knife makes it perfect for here in the UK with the stupid laws we now have.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 01:24:29 AM
I'm somewhat surprised that Buck hasn't yet produced an X-Tract version that substitutes scissors for the pliers. It seems like an obvious variation.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 03:34:50 AM
I should have a Zilla-Tool en route sometime soon, I'll keep you guys informed.

David

Offline Thargor

Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:40 AM

The CRKT Guppie and Zilla should be out soon. Even better the Wenger Rangers look interesting although a bit short on the ground at the moment. Unless you want a tool like the X-Tract now if I was you I would wait to see just what those tools are like. I know I am getting a Guppie no matter what. That short slip joint knife makes it perfect for here in the UK with the stupid laws we now have.

Dave
Oh yeah, good plan, I forgot about them, Ill wait another while in that case. Looking forward to seeing them.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:38 PM
How is your x-track holding up 665ae and David? I was thinking of buying one its a toss up between the Zilla and the x-track which do you guys recommend thanks.

Donald
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%