Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dilemma: Fenix LD01 or Nitecore EZ AA?

Offline andrea.from.roma

Dilemma: Fenix LD01 or Nitecore EZ AA?
on: September 27, 2009, 04:50:50 PM
My edc is just a pouch with a Vic Spirit, Fenix E01, corkscrew attachment and a spare AAA.
And it works fine. Just fine. I mean, I never felt the need for a change. Until a few days ago. When I joined this forum!
So, shame on you all guys! It's your fault! :D

Enough of the silliness, let me explain this.

Nitecore EZ AA: small (for an AA flashlight), a very low low-mode (enough for most tasks), a very bright high-mode (to blind friends with), fits well in my edc pouch.

Fenix LD01: smaller, lighter, a very tempting mid-mode (27 lumens, as far as I can remember), a still-capable-of-blinding-people 80 lumens high mode, plus... it's a Fenix and I know I can trust it because I already have one.

The point is: I've read many reviews about the Nitecore EZ AA and I'm not sure that the one I'd buy is the newer 'revised' one or the old one (which had a very low runtime compared to what the manufacturer said). I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to an online store, but the one they offer (for $58) is the 'Nitecore EZAA R2' with a XP-E CREE led.

Since I can't tell the difference between an old and a new EZ, since I can't tell the difference between XR-E and XP-E led's, and since I can't really choose one between Nitecore and the little Fenix, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

A.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:57:51 PM by andrea.from.roma »
R

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Dilemma: Fenix LD01 or Nitecore EZ AA?
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01:52 PM
Well I've one of those LD01, and there a very capable torch :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:56:28 PM
I think Nitecore has MICROSCOPICALLY better build quality . The Piston drive system ( found on some , but not all Nightcore products is very foolproof and intuitive .

Both are great products , enjoy !

Chris

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 04:00:45 AM
I don't know much about the Nitecore, but I have a Fenix LOD Q4 and just love it.  The brightest AAA light I've ever had.  The LD01 is similar to the LOD less the SOS and Strobe modes which you really don't need and the LD01 gives you 5 extra lumens (80 as opposed to the LOD's 75). 
Since you already have a E01, get a AA light.  I would suggest a Fenix LD10, an amazing light for the same price as the Nitecore.  You already know the Fenix quality and reliability.
I carry a spare AAA battery in an AA upsizer battery tube that way I have the AAA for my LOD or for the LD10 which ever needs it first.
Nitecore makes a fine product and the piston drive is unique but personally I don't like the ramping feature to adjust the brightness.  I like a clicky switch so I can go between the modes easily.  Good luck with your tough decision.

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:06 AM
Well I've one of those LD01, and there a very capable torch :tu:
I think Nitecore has MICROSCOPICALLY better build quality . The Piston drive system ( found on some , but not all Nightcore products is very foolproof and intuitive .

Both are great products , enjoy !

Chris

I don't know much about the Nitecore, but I have a Fenix LOD Q4 and just love it.  The brightest AAA light I've ever had.  The LD01 is similar to the LOD less the SOS and Strobe modes which you really don't need and the LD01 gives you 5 extra lumens (80 as opposed to the LOD's 75).  
Since you already have a E01, get a AA light.  I would suggest a Fenix LD10, an amazing light for the same price as the Nitecore.  You already know the Fenix quality and reliability.
I carry a spare AAA battery in an AA upsizer battery tube that way I have the AAA for my LOD or for the LD10 which ever needs it first.
Nitecore makes a fine product and the piston drive is unique but personally I don't like the ramping feature to adjust the brightness.  I like a clicky switch so I can go between the modes easily.  Good luck with your tough decision.

Thanks, guys.

I've been thinking, I guess I'll order the Nitecore. Two modes, AA, really small: that is what I need to edc now. And don't get me wrong: you are to blame for making me want - at least - almost every kind of light is out there! :D
But by now, although I've been working with a Fenix flashlight and I know their quality, what I need is just the EZ. I'll post a review as soon as I get it.

Thanks again,

A.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:52:55 AM by andrea.from.roma »
R

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:42 AM
Why don't you go for a Maratac AAA/iTP A3 EOS? :pok: :D

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:33:08 PM
Why don't you go for a Maratac AAA/iTP A3 EOS? :pok: :D

Not that I don't like it, believe me, but I'm looking for an edc flashlight to replace my beloved Fenix E01. And when I asked my lady which one to pick (keep in mind that she isn't into flashlights or SAK's at all) she went like: "Get the one that gives you the best in both ways". Which, I suppose, means getting a flashlight capable of a very low low-mode and a very high high-mode. And that means the EZAA. Anyway, since you all guys are to blame for my unstoppable need for new flashlights and SAK's, (:D), I guess I'll order an A3 as soon as I can as well. Thanks.

A. ;)
R

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:45:36 AM
I guess I'll order an A3 as soon as I can as well. Thanks.

Ahhh, my work here is done then... :D

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:16 AM
Good choice on the EZAA :) Love mine!

Are you planning to get the plain ol' black one or the new ones in the new colours?

I think most of the older EZAA's are off the market these days...so I doubt you will get new old stock :)
[

Offline Luxor

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:54:09 PM
If you interesterd on the EZ AA, 4sevens is making a surplus sale with 25% discount on black EZ AA Q5, just folow this link and use the  NITECORE25 promo code.

More info here

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:07:32 PM
Ahhh, my work here is done then... :D

:D

Are you planning to get the plain ol' black one or the new ones in the new colours?

The new one, in blue I think. This way I'll have a big red flashlight (the one I keep at home), the blue EZ as my edc and the little black Fenix. :)

If you interesterd on the EZ AA, 4sevens is making a surplus sale with 25% discount on black EZ AA Q5, just folow this link and use the  NITECORE25 promo code.

More info here

Thanks, I'll check it out.  :)
R

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:24:03 PM
I just picked up the ITP upgraded model and it rocks  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 10:54:22 PM
My blue EZAA will be here tomorrow. Doubt it'll replace my Novatac as my EDC for more than a couple days, but we'll see. I'll always have either a fenix E01 or an arc on my keys, but I need a multi level light with my job to count resps in dark rooms, read charts, etc. So we'll see just how pocketable the EZAA is. My job doesn't supply 123 lithiums, & I've been supplyin' them for years on my dollar, however they do supply AA batteries for pagers & such, so hopefully I'll like the EZ enough to justify the $$$ difference.
N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD