Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What would you like to see on a pocket tool???

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
on: October 17, 2009, 12:52:37 AM
Mike made a very good point in another thread. Why are most pocket tools designed around a bottle opener? Well, what would you like to see on a pocket tool? Remember, you have to carry this in your pocket so anything that will jab or cut you is out. I would love to hear some of the crazy ideas that you guys have. I'm sure there will be some really "Froggy" ideas.  :D

I would like to see a split ring tool. Something similar to the Key Sergeant.  :tu:

[youtube] [/youtube]
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What would you like to see on a pocket tool???
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:55:43 AM
According to Kelly, the Rally's/Rambler's/etc. cap lifter works well on split keyrings. :) I'd imagine the Rouge or Rover's standard-ended cap lifter would work even better. :)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:46:25 AM
I know the Shard and the Artifact already have integrated Phillips heads but I would like such a thing to also be offered on the Atwood tools. At first I thought maybe it was a machining issue and Peter could not do it, but now I have a Flud tool and I can see it is possible. Also, maybe a JDR with a wrench  :P

Aside from what has ALREADY been done in pocket tools, I really don't know what I can think of one of them having that has not already been done. Most of the ideas today are nothing new but changes to old designs (P38.5 is a new one on me though  :o) I will have to do some hard thinking on this one  ???

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 01:51:58 AM
I know the Shard and the Artifact already have integrated Phillips heads but I would like such a thing to also be offered on the Atwood tools. At first I thought maybe it was a machining issue and Peter could not do it, but now I have a Flud tool and I can see it is possible. Also, maybe a JDR with a wrench  :P

Aside from what has ALREADY been done in pocket tools, I really don't know what I can think of one of them having that has not already been done. Most of the ideas today are nothing new but changes to old designs (P38.5 is a new one on me though  :o) I will have to do some hard thinking on this one  ???

David, you probably wont see a wrench from Joshua. Peter has the wrenches cut with a waterjet machine. Joshua still makes all of his tools by hand and a wrench would just take too much time.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:10:23 AM
True, did not think of that...sorry  :-\

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:26:49 AM
Metal file/metal saw. (ala Victorinox/LM)

Offline Bowman1911

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:44:25 AM
Buttscratcher ftw!
N

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:46:33 AM

My name....

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:15:08 AM

My name....

I can have Joshua stamp "My Name" on your tool.  :o :rofl: :o :rofl:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 04:27:28 AM
I feel like there aren't many more tool options that can crop up now... due to stuff and stuff, mostly the form factor itself being limiting... but certain combinations and ergonomics can be improved on. :salute:

I'll have to think about this more indepth. :D

Though I haven't seen anyone try to take advantage of jimping as an excuse to include wire strippers, that might be interesting.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:29:21 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 04:30:45 AM
I feel like there aren't many more tool options that can crop up now... due to stuff and stuff, mostly the form factor itself being limiting... but certain combinations and ergonomics can be improved on. :salute:

I'll have to think about this more indepth. :D

Though I haven't seen anyone try to take advantage of jimping as an excuse to include wire strippers, that might be interesting.

A very tight v-notch stripper is a good idea.  :tu:

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:16:23 AM

My name....

I can have Joshua stamp "My Name" on your tool.  :o :rofl: :o :rofl:
Yeah maybe we should forget about stamping my tool  :o

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 10:15:47 AM
I'm sticking with a vic style can opener :)

I don't think accidental stabbing would be too much of an issue, and if it did, then why not make it kydex sheath ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 11:20:51 AM
I wouldn't mind someone replacing the cutout for the bottle opener and replace it with a gut hook type notch. It should be designed to fit 550 cord through it and could also act as a wire stripper :) Would be cool if it was made out of S30V so the edge would hold really good :)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:02:02 PM
I'm sticking with a vic style can opener :)

I don't think accidental stabbing would be too much of an issue, and if it did, then why not make it kydex sheath ???

Because it's meant to be something lobbed around and bashed about on keys, a sheath just adds unecessary bulk IMO.

If a can opener format is what you are after, I see Fludunlimited's P38.5 to be the way to go.  This has points, but not the sharpened edge like the vic ones.
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 06:46:30 PM
I wouldn't mind someone replacing the cutout for the bottle opener and replace it with a gut hook type notch. It should be designed to fit 550 cord through it and could also act as a wire stripper :) Would be cool if it was made out of S30V so the edge would hold really good :)

Check out the Raker Ring Tool.
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 06:48:00 PM
I'll be gettin' one of them soons... hopefully we can convince Raker to make more one piece tools after other designs. :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 07:58:37 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I really like this tool. I think it might work best in a kydex sheath.  :tu:  I'm going to order one, but I have another order already pending and I want to get that order first.

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I like that :)

But I would like to see some pry tools like the Atwood ones to replace the bottle opener with the gut hook :)
[

Offline Raker

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 12:09:01 AM
is a link to a youtube video made on how to use the Raker Ring Tool.  The cutting part can be used for all sorts of cutting chores.  They do get dull after a period of time and I offer a sharpening service for them. 
Most tools that are small can be modified to fit your particular needs.  If you need a wire stripper, grind one in it.  It doesn't really hurt the tools and makes it a more personal multi tool.
R

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 05:38:42 AM
is a link to a youtube video made on how to use the Raker Ring Tool.  The cutting part can be used for all sorts of cutting chores.  They do get dull after a period of time and I offer a sharpening service for them. 
Most tools that are small can be modified to fit your particular needs.  If you need a wire stripper, grind one in it.  It doesn't really hurt the tools and makes it a more personal multi tool.

Can't wait to see one with the MT.O stamp on one...definitely going to get one of them :) Probably going to get myself one of those firesteels you make too! They are very nice :) How many strikes would the Med. one take?
[

Offline Raker

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 05:53:47 AM
The MT.O stamp is on order and should be here in about 2 weeks.  I will also have some thinner damascus and the ATS-34 with a new modification to it.  That is due to a suggestion made to me by one of your members.  Should fit more in line with the multi tool designation.
The medium fire steel should last a long time.  I have it attached to a small pc of stabilized wood.  This will allow you to use it till it is almost completely gone without fear of breaking it.  The video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzesho9Yzr4&feature=channel shows how easy it is when you use some dryer lint to start the fire.  There is a coating on the ferro rods that will come off with a few scrapes of the striker when you first use it.  The dryer lint needs to be fluffed up a little if it has been compressed very much. A little practice and you can get it lit on the first few tries.   
R

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 12:30:03 PM
Tell me I know what the new modification is.  :D

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 12:38:05 PM
The MT.O stamp is on order and should be here in about 2 weeks.  I will also have some thinner damascus and the ATS-34 with a new modification to it.  That is due to a suggestion made to me by one of your members.  Should fit more in line with the multi tool designation.
The medium fire steel should last a long time.  I have it attached to a small pc of stabilized wood.  This will allow you to use it till it is almost completely gone without fear of breaking it.  The video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzesho9Yzr4&feature=channel shows how easy it is when you use some dryer lint to start the fire.  There is a coating on the ferro rods that will come off with a few scrapes of the striker when you first use it.  The dryer lint needs to be fluffed up a little if it has been compressed very much. A little practice and you can get it lit on the first few tries.   

Thanks for the info :tu:
The fire steel is on the list when I order that MT.O stamped tool :)

Tell me I know what the new modification is.  :D
Care to tell me what it is :D :D :D
[

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 02:14:31 PM
Yes please, what's the modification? Is it something I suggested?

Offline Raker

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 03:44:26 PM
It was a small change in the location of the 1/4" hex and when I find some O-rings, it will be stretched across the opening of the small hex.  I put a 3/16" round hole for the key ring where the 1/4" hex was.  They will all have flat tips for screwdriver and prying.  You will still have a choice of the large hex or medical O2 wrench.  The new damascus ones will be thinner and only have the medical O2 wrench.  That is about it for now.  Getting ready to go set up at the Arizona Knife Collectors Assoc show here in Phoenixe, AZ this week end.  Looks like the weather will be beautiful.
R

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 05:13:53 PM
Can't get rakerknives.com to come up.

HOWEVER,  this new tool with firesteel on it sounds VERY interesting.   :tu:

Very interesting...

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 05:20:28 PM
Stretched O-Ring huh? Sounds very Atwoodish, make sure it's not so close to the "captive bit system" as to run over anyone toes.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 06:13:09 PM

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 05:56:43 AM
Stretched O-Ring huh? Sounds very Atwoodish, make sure it's not so close to the "captive bit system" as to run over anyone toes.
I doubt the O-Ring use rises to the level of Atwoodish.....completely different tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%