Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dumb questions (and LOT'S of them!)

Offline FrankenPC

Re: Dumb questions (and LOT'S of them!)
Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 12:35:10 AM
Not this time my friend, not this time... And even if I did, for that money (for just a pen  :o ).

No, just droped it right on the cap. It was from a meter or two on a cement floor but still. The cap really was stuck! It does make sence when you look at the design. It is conical and the harder it get pushed on, the tighter it will fit. Not a smart design if you actually want to use the pen from time to time  ;)

Everyone knows there is nothing more difficult to separate than a tapered fit.  Bad idea to design it that way when your intent is to pop it off and on repeatedly.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 12:44:27 AM
Hmmm. I'm just trying (not too hard) to push the cap down on my bullet pen, and it reaches a pint where it just doesn't go any further. I wonder if something was missing on yours Zepla? Maybe an insert inside the cap or something?

I have my 2nd Fisher Bullet at the moment, (having lost the one I've carried since the age of about 12) and I've never had any problems at all with them. No ink bogies either!

Anyone that wants rid - feel free to send them to me :D I think they're great!
I used to come here a lot.

Offline FrankenPC

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 12:53:07 AM
Not this time my friend, not this time... And even if I did, for that money (for just a pen  :o ).

No, just droped it right on the cap. It was from a meter or two on a cement floor but still. The cap really was stuck! It does make sence when you look at the design. It is conical and the harder it get pushed on, the tighter it will fit. Not a smart design if you actually want to use the pen from time to time  ;)

Everyone knows there is nothing more difficult to separate than a tapered fit.  Bad idea to design it that way when your intent is to pop it off and on repeatedly.

I forgot to say this:  How to separate a taper fit:  Bathe the inner part in ice water while warming the outer part with a blow dryer.  After a bit, you should be able to separate them.  This is how you also prepare to join parts with a taper if you intend for them to not be parted.  Like a metal handle and hammer head (small, like a jewelers hammer).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%