Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Powerlock S60-N Initial thoughts/gripes

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
SOG Powerlock S60-N Initial thoughts/gripes
on: October 21, 2009, 03:59:49 AM
I'm on a SOG kick at the moment so I decided to buy a brand new SOG S60-N (amazon.com part number).  I've spent a few days with it and here are my initial thoughts:

1)  Quality.  The overall quality of the multi is great.  It just feels like a well built, substantial tool.

2)  Piano locks. The piano locks are an interesting design, but I don't feel they are an improvement over the old Powerlock locks.  I suspect they had complaints about the old locks and decided to redesign them.  It actually does seem that the design does indeed provide for a stronger lock in that more force is exerted downward into the lock slot than the previous single lock.  The locks are so tight in fact that when you attempt to unlock a blade you have to depress just the lock for the tool you are unlocking or the one or two next to it, attempting to depress all 6 locks at once would be very difficult.  Unlocking the center implements can be quite difficult.  Also some locked blades seem to have some play when locked, the phillips, file and the saw blade are the worst on mine.  

3)  Scissors. (gripe) Although I have heard some complaints about SOG scissors I actually like the design, however on the tool I bought they don't work,  the scissors will not lock unless you physically push the piano lock into the scissors lock slot.  This then makes it very difficult to unlock.  Once I forcefully lock the scissors I actually like the scissor design, but when you unlock and stow the blade the scissor handle doesn't automatically fold so the implement can be docked, on mine you actually have to fold the scissor handle under it to assist it so it will close.  

4)  New plier head design. nice.  Honestly I'm a Leatherman Charge fan, but this is my favorite plier head design yet,  I might have a new favorite once I get my hands on a Supertool 300 though. The ST300 plier head is so ugly it has to be good.

5)  The handle flappers.  I'm used to them on the original Powerlock, and I still love them.  I prefer the outside opening implements on the Leatherman Charge, but if the tool design calls for inside implements the handle covers are a logical means by which you create the illusion of a solid plier handle.

6)  Gear covers. They look very nice.  From a purely functional and safety perspective I never had any problem whatsoever with the exposed gears.  The new gear covers don't cause any problems but they fix a problem I never had.  

7)  Compound leverage.  I'm on the fence about this.  Although you can exert greater force on the work with this geared mechanism the plier handles must travel farther to exert that force.  So in essence depending on the size of the object in the grip of the pliers you can quickly exceed the actual reach of the grip of your hand.  I haven't done any scientific analysis of this but I estimate if the work is wider than .5 inch in circumference I will have exceeded the comfortable reach of my grip.  I do not have small hands.  Although .5 inch is on the high side of typical, I feel that conventional plier head designs do a better job for larger items.
The compound leverage is interesting but it has it's trade offs.

8) Plier head/ compound leverage complexity.  I just had to add a note that the gearing mechanism is very precise and appears much more complicated to manufacture than was necessary.  SOG had an idea and they implemented it very nicely.  I have included a picture at the bottom to demonstrate.  The mechanism is slightly mechanical timepiece like.  The plier tooth surfaces mate together like they were cut from a solid piece of stainless.  Very nice.  

9) 1/4" socket driver.  Pointless for me.  I have a dedicated driver for bits I don't carry.  Not a fan.

Overall:  It's a good tool to own, but after evaluation it isn't one I'd carry every day.  This would be an outdoor/camping carry tool for me.

I will be sending this one back for repair but I think I'll be happy with it.

The first pic below is of the faulty scissor lock, the second one is a glamour shot of the gear mechanism.

P1015081.JPG
* P1015081.JPG (Filesize: 77.02 KB)
gears.jpg
* gears.jpg (Filesize: 107.91 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:16:33 AM by Crouton »
:)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: SOG Powerlock S60-N Initial thoughts/gripes
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:06:58 AM
Good summary Crouton, thanks! :tu: I like the new plier head too. Only thing SOG should have done on the redesign is make the main gripping area of the pliers deeper, with sharper teeth. As it is the shallow, rounded teeth don't hold onto things very well, offsetting the advantage of the compound leverage. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:13:23 AM

9) Bit driver.  Pointless for me.  I have a dedicated driver for bits I don't carry.  Not a fan

Do you mean the 1/4" drive?

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:17:08 AM

9) Bit driver.  Pointless for me.  I have a dedicated driver for bits I don't carry.  Not a fan

Aye, I do.  I edited the post, thanks.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:23:34 AM

Aye, I do.  I edited the post, thanks.

That's the great thing about SOG. I don't think the 1/4" drive would be useful either, so when I get my SOG, I will switch it out.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:16:15 AM
I don't think the 1/4" drive would be useful either, so when I get my SOG, I will switch it out.

+1

:multi:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:17:58 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:46:17 AM
I don't think the 1/4" drive would be useful either, so when I get my SOG, I will switch it out.

+1

Now if only I had a SOG.

Offline Witmen

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:41 PM
I use my 1/4 drive all the time.  I kinda have no choice but to since my Power lock is driver less.  well except for the driver on the can opener.

Dedicated drivers are an absolute waste of space in my circumstance. Since I have to have a bit adapter, torx and other driver bits on me, why not just carry a Philips and a straight bit as well?  Then I have extra room inside for other things,  Like my Glock tool.   Also doing it that way gives you the option of having the much more useful Philips #2.  

If people had sheaths that had room for a bit holder like the sheath I  use,   I think they would find the 1/4" drive a lot more useful.

About your review of the new style PowerLock,  I agree I do not like the new style locks at all. I can open and close every single tool in my old school B60 one handed.  It drives my wife nuts,  But that's a habit I have,  while watching tv I will just sit there and cycle through the tools without even thinking much about it.  lol gets on her nerves like nothing else but I enjoy it.  and it's impossible to do with the new style locks.

If only we could get the gear covers without the new locks.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:26:25 AM
I have three powerlocks, two old style and one with the piano key system.  I hate the piano keys.  They are
unnecessarily tough to push to unlock and was the main reason I relegated them to the garage for what they
do best for me and that's cut wire easily.
However, the stainless pair I have that I got from you in trade) with the old head I just love.  The old style locking system works well on all the tools as well.
I also have a black oxide with newer head and works great as well.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:26:52 AM
nice write up

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 12:18:15 AM
nice write up

Why thank you scrappy.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 01:08:46 AM

+1

Funny that, the only time I ever use a SOG is for that very tool.

None of my other multis have a feature like that (that I can think of anyway).
I used to come here a lot.

Offline cb4life_34

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 06:23:34 PM
I really like the redesigned head on my powerassist.  The wire cutters are work awesome.  I used them yesterday to cut the head off of a nail at work.  They worked effortlessly, not that I ever had a problem with the cutters on my powerlock.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:40:57 PM
I do like my PowerAssist , I just thought I would like it more :(.
I find the big negative is that having average sized hands I find using the pliers quite awkward , the problem is the compound leverage.To open the pliers more than a small amount requires significantly greater handle opening distance when compared to most other MT's. The pay of is the amazing wire cutting power. If I had large hands I would get along a lot better with the full sized SOG's that have compound leverage.
Besides the Paratool , discontinued ToolClips & SwitchPlier I wonder if SOG will put out a non compound leverage MT  :think:. Probably not  :( as it is a signature feature of their tools. I find the PPP is comfortable to use , shame my hands do not fit the big SOG's  :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:14:31 PM
Funny that, the only time I ever use a SOG is for that very tool.
(Image removed from quote.)
None of my other multis have a feature like that (that I can think of anyway).
Do you have a closeup and size of the sockets you're using.?  :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:24 PM
They are 'special' sockets ;)

I don't think they are available to be bought. I was given them by "someone on the inside" ;)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 09:59:59 PM
They are 'special' sockets ;)
I don't think they are available to be bought. I was given them by "someone on the inside" ;)
I was just wondering, since the company I'm with trades with alot of tool suppliers from all over Europe. :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 11:41:52 PM
OK, well here's my "LM Maintenance Kit"

The sockets are labelled:

6906H PROTO 3/16
U.S.A. PROFESSIONAL

... if that's any use :tu:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 11:48:06 PM
Gotta hand it to you..: Those DOES look special..  :ahhh :ahhh
LM really doesn't want people messing with their tools, huh..   ;)
I'll get my people to contact some other people and I'll probably end up with... Nothing,
but thanks for sharing these rarities...  :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:19 AM
No worries Allan :tu:

If you do manage to source some, I predict a lot of willing customers!

The sockets will fit only the Micra, the steel "spanners" fit the two sizes of screw used on the large tools (e.g. PST, Kick, Fuse, Blast, Charge AL/X etc), and the security torx drivers I got from ebay, for the Wave, Charge (Ti variants) Sideclip etc.

The one I don't have covered off is the large screws on the Mini - I have to do those the old fashioned way with a Crunch.

But mostly, I can take stuff apart :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28