Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there an issue with the Core's drivers being too soft?

Offline matlt

• New User
Theres a thread about the core on bladeforums where several people mention they've easily deformed the screw drivers on their core. I bought one several days ago and am wondering if this is a common problem. I've been using a kick for the past 2 years, and the phillips driver on it managed to take the torque of me using a wrench to get more leverage in turning it without causing any damage at all. So this really makes me wonder whether this is a valid argument for any of leatherman's tools.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Is there an issue with the Core's drivers being too soft?
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:56:26 PM
That's news to me...

It's possible, I suppose, but I don't think I'd worry about it too much if I were you.  If you ever end up with a problem like that though (and it's possible there was a bad batch) then Leatherman is usually pretty good about repairing and/or replacing them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:46:35 AM
I don't know about the Core, but I gave up on my Blast for that very reason.  Not only did I bend the smaller driver all out of shape, but when I am using the drivers, with the handles closed, the handles flex, not really allowing me to apply too much torque.

us Offline Splat

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:18:47 PM
I've used my Core's Phillips and flatheads A LOT. While the Phillips's edges are ever-so-slightly nicked it still grabs and does the job well. I've never had an issue with any of the drivers. If you're going to try using a flathead as a prybar then you can expect damage, but if used within it's designed limits then I think it'll work and hold up fine.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD