Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What camera to choose?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: What camera to choose?
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 05:59:21 PM
congrats! I'm aiming a different direction, ideally get rid of as much of my current gear as possible and replace it all with one lense
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 06:02:39 PM
congrats! I'm aiming a different direction, ideally get rid of as much of my current gear as possible and replace it all with one lense

What lens is that Whoey, might be able to find you a good deal stateside.  I am currently looking at a 20-35mm f/2.8 Tokina, just waiting for it to come to the store so I can buy it.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 06:27:06 PM
Originally Nikon 18-200mm VR however I've read it's heavy and not the necessarily the best option anymore... I'm trying to reduce what I carry, and Ken Rockwell's site (http://www.kenrockwell.com) doesn't completely recommend the 18-200mm anymore. Altho he does say combined with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 which looks fantastic, but I'd really like a bit of zoom. It's perfect for those dark conditions in the front of a stage... maybe both those... The big issue for me is I only get to use one or the other, I can't use both or switch easily during a concert (depends on the conditions really) honestly I can't even afford to look at them let alone purchase any at the moment... that and a d5000 body, and I'll be super happy... it's probably my purchase next time I visit North America... as I know the dollar prices are cheaper than the euro prices...

I already have the 55-200mm VR from Rockwells "dream team" and cant see the 10-24mm wide being that useful to me... and the 55-200 is not wide enough for my needs... (and my 18-55mm has no VR)

bottom line, no money, no new gear. Maybe I'll try to sell off some of what I have... but that most likely won't solve anything...

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 06:43:11 PM
I used to follow Ken Rockwell, but he seems a bit toolish. One week this is the best, the next he is bashing what he thought was the best and recommending something else.  On a heavier body the 18-200 is great as it balances very well.  On a lighter body you can forget it.  My dream set up would be: 12-24 Nikkor, 28-105 VR, 70-200mm VR, with 35mm and 50mm primes all on a D300 or D200 body with a grip.  Might be able to afford all of it in 10 years from now.  Check out KEH.com, great prices on used gear.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 06:52:20 PM
Bottom line is I need faster glass than what I have, and a better body while I'm at it...

there's three reasons I want a d5000, 4 if you count the fact it's a decent price to start...
1. tilt screen useful for over my head crowd shots
2. more than double the ISO range of my D50.
3. full hd video

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 03:30:44 PM
Well in 2010 I'll be looking for a new camera as mine has decided to check out just before Christmas I'm now having to use my phone  :ahhh

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 04:03:23 PM
First lens you NEED to buy...Canon 50mm 1.8 Mark II.  Around $100.00 and one of the best lenses you can have in your bag.  Doesn't zoom, but will give you and excellent portrait, candid, low light lens.  Review of my Colossus as a DSLR bag will up in the next few days.  If you plan on buying a lot of lenses and accessories, then I say buy it, if not, then a smaller bag will do you much better.

I have already bought a 55-200mm lens (just have to go return it since he gave me the one without a stabilizer) and I need a lens with zoom more than a lens that is great for taking portrait but for 100$ I might just get it, just need a new job first.

As for buying lot of lenses and equipment then I’m not sure what will happen on that front but I really liked your idea of using a Maxped as a DSLR bag, I liked it so much that I ordered a Fatboy :D I told a friend of mine what type of bag I had bought and he also liked the idea since it was just an ordinary bag and robbers are most likely going to rob a person with a bag that says Canon on it rather than a guy with an ordinary bag, so I believe he also might get one
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 06:36:38 PM
First lens you NEED to buy...Canon 50mm 1.8 Mark II.  Around $100.00 and one of the best lenses you can have in your bag.  Doesn't zoom, but will give you and excellent portrait, candid, low light lens.  Review of my Colossus as a DSLR bag will up in the next few days.  If you plan on buying a lot of lenses and accessories, then I say buy it, if not, then a smaller bag will do you much better.

A great lens indeed, it's more uses than just a lens for portraits and gives a much nicer image than a zoom lens, I use this for stage photos a lot as it has a fantastically large aperture setting too  :tu:
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD