Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dad wants a SAK...apparently he misses his climber

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Dad wants a SAK...apparently he misses his climber
on: December 01, 2009, 05:09:35 PM
Ok, so now what do I get dad?  I was talking to him about the MT I want to get for mom and he mentioned that he misses the climber that mom said I could have and he would never miss.   :rant: So, should I just get him a replacement climber or I'm kind of thinking of getting him a huntsman.  He doesn't spend nearly as much time outdoors as he used to, but I thought it might be kind of neat for him since he used to be an avid hunter.  His knees just can't take the walking anymore and he's been working out of state for over a year now.  I also kind of thought of getting him an explorer.  If I ask him what he wants he'll just tell me not to spend money on him and won't tell me what he wants.  So i have to guess.  So what do you all think?  For a little background, my dad is a pharmacist, he travels a lot with the pharmacist on the go, when he is home he tinkers with stuff, has 3 tool chests full of different tools, several MT's he doesn't really carry, but apparently wants and uses a SAK.  So, any ideas?  Actually I'm thinking of getting and explorer for both of them, mom and dad.  Or maybe an explorer for mom and a huntsman for dad.  What do you think? 
Thanks everyone.
Kel
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Dad wants a SAK...apparently he misses his climber
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:19:07 PM
Tricky one this.  if he misses his Climber then you'd certainly be on safe ground getting him a new one.  However the Huntsman is one of my favourite SAKs and I'll never tell someone not to buy one, you could even go for the Plus scales on both the Huntsman and the Explorer.

One big difference for me between the Huntsman and the Climber is the thickness.  I know there's not a lot in it but it pushes the Huntsman out of pocket carry and into a belt pouch for me.  So you might want to think about how he carried his old one and if he'll mind a slightly bigger SAK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:25:22 PM
you could even go for the Plus scales on both the Huntsman and the Explorer.

Oooo they do plused scales for the explorer,can these be had in the UK anywhere?

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:42:58 PM
A Climber and Super Tinker are the same tool, except the Super Tinker has a phillips instead of a corkscrew. Perhaps a Super Tinker would be good for him?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:44:20 PM
I'd suggest an Explorer Plus for him, Kelly; since he's a pharmacist - and the pill bottle writing can be small at times - having the magnifier to ensure the medicine is the medicine could come in handy (yes, I know it's just as easy, easier actually, to go by shape, color, and stamping on the pill), but ensuring the instructions on the label are correct can be hard on the eyes.

Either way, just let me know what you want and what colors and I'll get them for you and have them sent out ASAP. :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:45:16 PM
You can get plus scales and slap them on most 91mm SAKs I believe - Neil might have some :)

I'd second what Gareth said Kel, depends on where he might carry it.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:49:16 PM
If you think he'd carry a 4 layer, get him an Explorer Plus if he doesn't spent much time outside anymore. If he's more of an inside person these days, I'd go for a Compact over a Climber. Same basic functions, plus scales & mini screwdriver and 2 layers vs. 3. As a general purpose SAK, I find the Compact hard to beat. It's thin enough to almost always be carried.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:52:47 PM
I'd suggest an Explorer Plus for him, Kelly; since he's a pharmacist - and the pill bottle writing can be small at times - having the magnifier to ensure the medicine is the medicine could come in handy (yes, I know it's just as easy, easier actually, to go by shape, color, and stamping on the pill), but ensuring the instructions on the label are correct can be hard on the eyes.

Either way, just let me know what you want and what colors and I'll get them for you and have them sent out ASAP. :D

Seconded on the Explorer. :tu:
Got those frog legs.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:45:10 PM
Let me toss in there the option of a cybertool.  That long driver is quite awesome  :tu:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:47:02 PM
Let me toss in there the option of a cybertool.  That long driver is quite awesome  :tu:

+1 on that Mr Whippy  :tu:

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:36:23 PM
I gave my dad a Ranger and he swears by it to this day. Seeing how he's a senior citizen, he's also unlikely to be suspected of terrorist activity if seen with one outside. Highly recommended.  :multi:
W

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 07:59:58 PM
Get him something Alox.. Dads digs Alox...  ;) :D

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:51:32 AM
I would say the Compact instead of a climber slimmer. Go the extra bit and replace the mini screwdriver holder(aka corkscrew) with the philips.
Or go the easier option and tell him since his getting old he needs the Duke of Edinburagh Award SAK (A philips Compact with the round tip blade )   

The has also been quite a few malboro TRAIL GUIDES pop up on US ebay recently,  (and... mod a philips!) would make it a good 'Compact Tinker Champ'

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Trail+Guide

Still the same thickness as a climber  :pok:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 08:59:21 AM
Tough choices Kelly. Anyway you pick, I think you should see if Tinnie can make you up some custom scales that match for your mom and dad. I think that would be neat and they would appreciate that. :)
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:32:41 AM
I like Compacts, Explorers, Rangers, CyberTools, and Climbers.... hard one.  (OK I know I like them all)

The Ranger and CyberTools are a bit bigger so I think you need more input before going quite that large. 

I agree the Explorer+ sounds like a great idea for a traveller and and pharmacist.  No wonder he misses his Climber if he travels, you can't travel without a SAK.

The Compact is so damn handy has a pocket knife though and so easy to carry....

The Climber does not have a Phillips so if he maybe does not need that, the Compact, or Climber might be the one.  If you think he could use a Phillips then the in-line Phillips and Mag on the Explorer+ is killer combo. 

The Explorer+ would probably be my choice for a Traveller, but the Compact is so easy to carry as long as he is not an avid small blade user.

You'll have to gamble I'm afraid, or get him a StayGlow Climber.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 02:12:56 AM
Lots of good ideas here.  I'd also suggest Explorer or Compact.  Wouldn't like to choose between the two though. Luckily, that's your job ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 04:46:44 PM
Actually I'm getting him another Climber.  And as far as mom goes, I'm gonna get her an Explorer, I think.  But it's gonna have to be for her birthday.  I've been told not to get her anything else for Christmas and if I do she'll just get mad and not use it right now out of spite.  She's an odd little woman sometimes but you gotta love her!  :)  Thanks for all the suggestions and help.   Ya'll rock!
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 03:37:08 PM
A little update, I'm also giving dad my silver pioneer.  I never use it, preferring the Farmer if I'm feeling the bigger alox love at that moment. :D  He hasn't asked for it, but I think it might be a good everyday pocket knife for him.  He has never had any alox SAK's, at least he hasn't for the last 25 years or so, so I think he might like it a lot.  I hope I'm right.  And at some point, maybe for his birthday, I might get him an explorer.  We'll see how he feels about mine when he sees while I'm home for Christmas.  :) 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%