Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
on: September 24, 2006, 08:47:01 PM
What were you doing back in 1999? It seemed like a simpler time, before 9/11, before the current Iraq and Afghanistan struggles. The worst thing most folks were worried about was if their computer would crash on New Years Eve. Remember Y2K? Hah, what a joke!

Anyhow, how about all those new multi tools that came out in the last year of the last century? Spyderco SpydeRench, Leatherman Crunch and Flair, Wenger MiniGrip, Gerber Compact Sport 400, and colored Micras. Wow, for some reason it doesn't seem like seven years ago. The older I get, the faster time goes by.

Anyhow, I was reminiscing through Doug Ritter's 1999 Shot Show report, and thought you guys might be interested.

Link: http://www.equipped.org/shot99-1.htm

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: 1999
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:20:28 PM
In '99 I was still working on Toronto, doing security work for one of the best places I ever worked for, and was planning to leave to move out to the coast, get married and somehow live happily ever after.  The only multis I had were the big Wenger SwissGrip and the Leatherman PST II.  I had a Micra before that, but had given it to my previous girlfriend when she started to wonder how much money I was spending at the locak knife dealer's place!

That was even before I got really into SAKs too.  I had a few but nothing like my current collection.  Of course when it came to combo edged tactical folders and large fighting fixed blades, watch out!

SInce the new millenium started I haven't really kep track of time too much, and it kind of surprises me when I think that the 90's aren't just a little while ago!  My 2000 Pontiac Sunfire isn't such a new car anymore, and the '91 VW I had is almost an antique.  All the other cars I've had are now classics, even my crappy old Firebird, and probably worth a little bit of money now.  Wish I hadn't blown them up, drove them off cliffs or let them get stolen now...

Kind of a cool read in that link- I'll have to check it out a little more thourally when I get the chance.  I love reading the things people had to say years ago, like that famous line from Bill Gates:

"640k should be enough for anybody!"

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:01:20 AM
In 1999 I was still living up north in VT and didnt know many of the people I do now, that was before I met my wonderful wife and the joy of my two kids. I was a batchlor working at a small town grocer working as a stock clerk living it up in multitool heaven. At the time I had (my time frame I believe is right)
Kershaw Tool
Gerber 400 Sport
Gerber Legend
Sog Powerlock
Sog Switchpliers
Leatherman Sideclip
Leatherman Pulse
Leatherman Wave
Meyerco Paradox
Micra
Swisstool CS Plus
a buncha junk from Kutmaster

Things have changed since then and my tools have thinned out alot, now many it's SAK's....I seem to be drawn to red for some reason (my wife has red hair), and the tools I have still I use here and there due to my demanding job as Asst. Manager of a large grocer. I have more reviews I can write than we have right now I just need to put thought to paper to make it happen. Yes it was a simpler time and people wernt as afraid as they are now, it's a pitty. I still carry things like my Spyderco Endura even though it's not friendly, course in south georgia anything is pretty much accepted. :)

DavidBinGA

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:29:31 AM
Regarding multi tools in 1999, I was pretty naive. I carried a Supertool, no problems there. But as far as I knew, the other half-dozen or so tools that I owned back then were all that existed! A PST, PST II, and Micra from Leatherman. A SOG ToolClip and a ParaTool. And a couple of early Gerbers. Yessir, as far as I knew, my understanding of multi tools was total, and my collection was complete.

Not being wired up for Internet yet, and living in the boondocks of northern Michigan, I was unaware of most of the new tools Doug reviews in his 1999 Shot Show report. Of course I'd heard about the "revolutionary" new Leatherman Crunch, as well as the Flair. I can remember feeling slightly annoyed, when I realized I would have to spend another $70 or $80 on them to keep my collection "complete."

HAH!  :o

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:37:38 AM
In 99 I had no multitools. All I had were 2 SAKs. The Ranger and Soldier. I'm glad my collection is bigger now.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 06:23:41 PM
Anyhow, how about all those new multi tools that came out in the last year of the last century? Spyderco SpydeRench..........etc.

For some reason, it doesn't seem like the SpydeRench has only been around since 1999? (Somehow, I thought it was older. Strange.)  ???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%