Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dented Blade on LM Juice

england Offline AddictedToTools

Dented Blade on LM Juice
on: December 06, 2009, 04:40:46 PM
The plain edge blade on my LM Juice has a dent in it. Has this happened to anyone else? It is just before the blade curves upwards, on the flat edge. How would you suggest I fix this? I looks like when the blade closes, it hits the raised section of the backspring. Does anyone know how I can stop this happening? If the picture is too large, tell me and I'll make it smaller.

P1050304a.JPG
* P1050304a.JPG (Filesize: 63.03 KB)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:48:56 PM by AddictedToTools »

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Dented Blade on LM Juice
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:24:13 PM
You could probably get rid of it using it on a stone of some sort.  I have a few tools/knives
that do that as well.  It does bother me especially the one's that come from the factory
not as defective slipping through quality control but as regular production oversights?
Gerber and Sog are bad with their blades in tools so I have to watch when I put them
back to bed, I do so gently.
I sometimes hit something hard metal wise with my blades and they leave a bit of a
nick in the blade and I usually can get rid of it as long as it's not too deep by running
it over the sharpening stones.  A Lansky or Gatco would work pretty quick on your's.

Sean

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:42:15 PM
I'm struggling to see how that could happen on a Juice...

There is a rise in the backspring, about where the dent is on your blade, but the raised are seems to run at a sort of "plateau" for over an inch, before it appears to drop back down. Because of that, you'd expect the damaged are to be a lot longer if striking the backspring was the problem.

The only way I could see a dent like that being formed would be if the blade was closing at an angle, rather than parallel to the spring. In turn, I can't see how the design would allow that to happen, unless the pivot-hole in the blade was off centre or the pins were bent or something. Weird huh?

I've just checked several of my Juices, especially the ones I use most, and can't see anything similar.

Which model of Juice is it ATT? I'll look and see if there's anything different about that specific model.

I used to come here a lot.

england Offline AddictedToTools

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:09:34 PM
It's a Juice XE6. As for the backspring, as far as I can see there are in fact two small raised bumps, with a lowered section in the middle, not one raised section.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:27:36 PM by AddictedToTools »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 07:06:21 PM
Yeah - you could be right looking again.

Even then though, strange that it might be hitting one but not the other!
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 07:50:23 PM
Try stropping it on the back of a leather belt (if you don't have a real strop with compound).  It looks like a pretty small dent and that might do it.  A sharpening stone with a very fine side might work also, but also might make the blade worse if you're not used to using a stone.  Or you can just leave it alone since it seems pretty superficial and won't effect use :D

And try to get used to not snapping the blade shut, but instead closing the blade slowly so it doesn't whiplash into that pin.
[

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 08:03:40 PM
Try stropping it on the back of a leather belt (if you don't have a real strop with compound).  It looks like a pretty small dent and that might do it.  A sharpening stone with a very fine side might work also, but also might make the blade worse if you're not used to using a stone.  Or you can just leave it alone since it seems pretty superficial and won't effect use :D

And try to get used to not snapping the blade shut, but instead closing the blade slowly so it doesn't whiplash into that pin.

:tu:.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD