Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone here speak Esperanto?

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Anyone here speak Esperanto?
on: December 16, 2009, 04:55:24 AM
Having discovered it after watching the roast of William Shatner and realising I'll have a lot of time on my hands over the next few months I've decided to try and learn it. Its supposed to be easy to learn and a universial language. Also google has made note of the founder today. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091215-ll-zamenhof-google-doodle-esperanto-150th-birthday.html Any ideas where to start? I suppose I could try Rosetta Stone but I'm wanting to learn for free.
(

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Anyone here speak Esperanto?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:25:29 AM
why not learn a language that is actually spoken by a lot of americans: Spanish
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:30:35 AM
or klingon...
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:15:51 AM

I'd agree, I don't think you'll find much use for speaking Esperanto.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:33 AM
Does anybody actually speak still speak it?

I would go for French (my holiday country) or go for Spanish like suggested before. A lot of people seem to speak Spanish.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:00:00 PM
I say Klingon.......It's the new English. Qapla'!!!!!!!

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:23 PM
Of course, how could I forget Klingon  ::)

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 12:04:03 PM
Sorry bro, I only know one person who speaks esperanto - let's just say it's not as "universal" as one would hope.

She's actually doing her own major in esperanto literature... all five of them.

::)

As nerdy as it is to suggest Klingon or Elvish or whatever... a real language would probably help you a lot more. ::)

Just an opinion. I'd also like to point out that China is becoming a major player in pretty much anything so it wouldn't hurt to jump on that bandwagon. Of course, you'd have to look under the cart to see where it was manufactured first...
Got those frog legs.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 12:13:55 PM
The Frog got a good point, If I would have to learn a language that I could use I would go for Arabic.

But how in theire right mind would learn to speak Elvish, he is dead! But klingon is cool.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 12:22:46 PM
English is my first language, then I learned French for many years (since it's one of the official languages in Canada) and now I've been married to a Spanish woman for 7 years, living in Spain for 6, I'm taking classes and trying to boost my level as much as possible. Once I level out with Spanish, I think I'll refresh my French. Between those three languages, there's not many places in the world you can't find someone who speaks one or the other.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:19 PM
Try Germany... ::)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:56:41 PM
or klingon...

:rofl:

Actually, I'm trying to learn Spanish.  It's a time thing (Too much on MT.O, not enough on Rosetta Stone... ::))

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 05:03:28 PM
Se hablar un poco de Klingon. Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam "Today is a good day to die."

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:06:24 PM
yeah, los apoyo con lo de aprender español....si no, chino o frances serian mis otras opciones :)
A

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 05:16:36 PM
Try Germany... ::)
I tried that one time but I could only get one lesson for free from Rosetta Stone...
(

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 05:43:21 PM
It was meant as a reply to the bold section.

English is my first language, then I learned French for many years (since it's one of the official languages in Canada) and now I've been married to a Spanish woman for 7 years, living in Spain for 6, I'm taking classes and trying to boost my level as much as possible. Once I level out with Spanish, I think I'll refresh my French. Between those three languages, there's not many places in the world you can't find someone who speaks one or the other.

I've found out (the hard way... ::)) that most German people will refuse to speak English even though they may understand what you're saying, but they'll gladly help you if you even as much as try to speak German.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:07:21 PM
Well to be fair to the region I live in, I really should learn Basque. :D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:42 PM

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:29 AM
Kiel vi fartas? ::)

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 12:28:52 AM
You want to go to Kiel?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 01:54:37 AM

And in NJ, you can add Hindi and Filipino!

Mahbuhay!!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 03:12:40 AM
It was meant as a reply to the bold section.

I've found out (the hard way... ::)) that most German people will refuse to speak English even though they may understand what you're saying, but they'll gladly help you if you even as much as try to speak German.

LOL that's exactly what I heard about France!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:13 AM
I've been to Germany just once, to goto the Wacken Open Air, a huge metal festival in the middle of nowhere. Nearly everyone we encountered during the trip spoke English and were quite helpful.

France is about 1.5h drive from us. The few times I've gone, what limited French I still retain has been enough, failing that Spanish works there too. We went on holiday in Paris for a long weekend, and similar story, except a lot of people speak English... mainly hotel and museum and restaurant staff... Most people were helpful. I also crossed France by car with my inlaws to visit the Tank museum, neither of them speaks much more French than I do, I think I understand more than them. Again, no troubles, and at the tank museum, the cashier spoke English. (but not Spanish or Italian like my inlaws)

We've also gone to Barcelona several times. For those that are unaware, even though it is in Spain, it is part of the province of Catalonia, and the official language is Catalan (which to be honest is a blend of Spanish and French). The first time we went, we got off the airport shuttle in the center of town, and since my wife and I speak English most of the time between us, an older couple overheard us speaking English, and stopped and offered to help us find our hotel. They spoke Catalan first, French, English, and of course Spanish.

While it's true in most cases that people will speak another language, it helps to know a few basic words like hello and thank you etc in the local language.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:44 AM
I think it it the least one can do as a sign of being a good guest is at least try to speak the local language.

We get a lot of tourist over at our little village and often they do not speak our language at all, they cannot even ask for directions or simple things like that. I just don't get that. What makes me laugh is that then they speak with a louder voice, if that makes it better to understand ::)
I do not feel very comfortable if I'm visiting an other country and doesn't speak the local language at all. Makes me feel helpless.

Everybody should at least be able to order some beers in the country where you're at  :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 11:54:05 AM
I think it it the least one can do as a sign of being a good guest is at least try to speak the local language.

We get a lot of tourist over at our little village and often they do not speak our language at all, they cannot even ask for directions or simple things like that. I just don't get that. What makes me laugh is that then they speak with a louder voice, if that makes it better to understand ::)
I do not feel very comfortable if I'm visiting an other country and doesn't speak the local language at all. Makes me feel helpless.

Everybody should at least be able to order some beers in the country where you're at  :D

Agreed, when I was working for my inlaws in their office I had to answer the phone from time to time, and deal with clients, there were some that used to yell at me, and one day I told one of them: "Soy Canadiense no sordo" (I'm Canadian, not deaf) and "Si me grites no te escucho" (if you scream at me I'm not listening to you) still makes my sister-in-law laugh... (The client in question was a royal pain in the ass...)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 12:22:24 PM

Agreed, when I was working for my inlaws in their office I had to answer the phone from time to time, and deal with clients, there were some that used to yell at me, and one day I told one of them: "Soy Canadiense no sordo" (I'm Canadian, not deaf) and "Si me grites no te escucho" (if you scream at me I'm not listening to you) still makes my sister-in-law laugh... (The client in question was a royal pain in the ass...)

While Grant is both! :D

I'll get my cost shall I? :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 12:23:17 PM

We get a lot of tourist over at our little village and often they do not speak our language at all,
they cannot even ask for directions or simple things like that. I just don't get that. What makes me laugh is that then they speak with a louder voice, if that makes it better to understand ::)

...and that would be Hollandaise?  :D

Actually, how close is German to Dutch? Close enough to cobble one's way through?

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 12:32:31 PM
Well, German and Dutch has a lot in common and if can't come up with the correct German word I just say it in Dutch and give it a little German ring to it  :D They usually understand. But there are plenty of words that are totally different. But most Dutch people do speak at least, what I like to call "Ferien Deutsch". You know, saying hello, ask directions, order food and drinks, complain about the weather, stuff like that. And lots of German people do speak a little Dutch. So yeah, we'll manage in German.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 01:43:24 PM
If you want to learn the closest thing we have to an international language, try learning English.  All international communications are in English, the staff and crew on board ships speak (bad) English to each other, pilots speak English to control towers and each other, and something like 90% of the Web is English speaking. 

While considering other languages to learn, I'd suggest Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) as well, since they are a world power, and have a huge influence on the world as we know it, whether we want to admit it or not.  Either one would likely serve you well, as would Japanese or Korean.

Arabic, German or Russian are other good choices, and I would consider at least one of French, Spanish or Italian.

If you could learn any of those, it would be a huge advantage, and if you could learn more than one, there isn't a place in the world you couldn't get by in.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 01:49:34 PM
If you want to learn the closest thing we have to an international language, try learning English.  All international communications are in English, the staff and crew on board ships speak (bad) English to each other, pilots speak English to control towers and each other, and something like 90% of the Web is English speaking.  

While considering other languages to learn, I'd suggest Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) as well, since they are a world power, and have a huge influence on the world as we know it, whether we want to admit it or not.  Either one would likely serve you well, as would Japanese or Korean.

Arabic, German or Russian are other good choices, and I would consider at least one of French, Spanish or Italian.

If you could learn any of those, it would be a huge advantage, and if you could learn more than one, there isn't a place in the world you couldn't get by in.

Def

BTW, isn't english the "official job language" at CERN in Switzerland?? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%