Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which tool?

Offline Yennork

• New User
Which tool?
on: December 24, 2009, 03:02:56 PM
Ok as you can see from my post count I am a complete newbie to these forums and I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Although I know it is to late now, I was planning on getting my brother a multitool for a christmas present. It started off well enough but I soon became bewildered by the amount of coice there was. I couln't even decide which of the brands to go for and I was wondering if you guys could help narrow down my choices.

I mostly want something outdoor-ey. He already has a gransfors brucks axe,a knife and a crook knife so what i want is a tool that can do the jobs these tools can't. I'd think pliers would be more useful than scissors and as he has a good knife a blade isn't neccessary. Wire cutters would also be very useful. This would't be so much for DIY or vehicle repairs but as he enjoys making things out of wood anything that could help him with that would be a plus.

Thanks for reading this and any advice would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Which tool?
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 03:06:29 PM
First up, welcome to the forum mate :)

If he likes working with wood, then a Victorinox Swisstool or Spirit might suit him as they come complete with a chisel, and a VERY effective double cut saw :)

A Victorinox Farmer would make an excellent woodsman's knife, and being non locking, it's completely legal to edc in the UK :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 03:27:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!

The Swisstool is a very good tool but if you are looking for a more outdoorsy type of tool I would go for Leatherman Supertool 300, if you are looking for plier/wire cutter strength the you should go for a SOG Powerlock. Must warn you that I am hugely bias.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:27:13 PM

If he likes working with wood, then a Victorinox Swisstool or Spirit might suit him as they come complete with a chisel, and a VERY effective double cut saw :)

A Victorinox Farmer would make an excellent woodsman's knife, and being non locking, it's completely legal to edc in the UK :)
Can't speak for the Swisstool or Spirit, but agree with the Farmer and the welcome to the forum.  :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Magnus

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 03:48:14 PM
the sog powerlock has one of the best pliers and wire cutters around, also has a brilliant saw and awl.  The tools in the handles of all SOG tools can be customised easily too.
[

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 03:50:59 PM
Good luck getting him a tool before xmas now, but I'll pitch in for the swisstool spirit again, every thing about it screams quality present when you open the box.

But if your last minute shopping buy something you would like,   I think a gift should say something about the giver as well as the receiver. You'll probably see mostly leathermen in the UK many of which will come nicely packed for christmas

Merry Xmas
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 05:45:51 PM
Welcome to the MT forum :cheers:

I agree with Lord Spam, they scream "Quality" and dependability.

Leatherman, Victorinox and Sog are favs around here. Gerber is a fun tool and has it's following *coughtoy*
May I suggest looking at several models and brands and finding what you like
then ask us various questions and we will do our best  ;)

good luck buddy and good brother you are! :salute:

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 06:11:27 PM
I'm a Swisstool fan (RS model) , but others like the Spirit because it's lighter. Either way, you can't go wrong.

But if you want something less refined, bulkier, and more prone to rusting, get a Leatherman.  :pok:

Can you carry a locking tool in the woods over there? Or does the ban on locking tools extend everywhere?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:25:40 PM by shamus »

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 06:30:56 PM
Pioneer Harvester! Same as the Farmer but replaces the can opener with a nice hawkbill blade. You don't need that can opener. Besides, in a pinch, the bottle opener *will* open cans just fine. It is just a little jagged.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 06:51:04 PM
I do love the Vic and it is a good contender, but personally for an outdoorsy type tool I'd be going with something along the lines of a Leatherman Supertool (any really).  The reason I'd chose this over the Vic is that outdoorsy usually means dirty and mucky and with all the backsprings on the Vic I can see it easily getting bunged up with gunk.  The Supertool is far more "gunk friendly" in my experiences.
I'm back!!

Offline Yennork

• New User
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 07:16:13 PM
thanks for all the responses!

At the moment i'm leaning towards the spirit but that is mostly due to price.

Anyway thanks again and i'll mull it over tonight and hopefully have a decision by tommorrow

Offline Magnus

Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 07:24:47 PM

Anyway thanks again and i'll mull it over tonight and hopefully have a decision by tommorrow

wait, what?

where are you going to buy it tomorrow?
[

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 07:26:20 PM

:tu:

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 07:48:31 PM

good choice! :tu:
if you'd like any comparison pix just ask and we'll do our best :multi:

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:02 PM
So... size I love doing this....  :D

SURGE!!! :viking:

Oh yeah.... and welcome welcome :cheers:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%