Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool Blade styles

Dunc · 14 · 1964

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Skeletool Blade styles
on: December 19, 2009, 07:31:56 PM
When did LM introduce the combo edge blade in the std Skeletool ? Just wondered as they don't put date stamps on them . I bought a Skeletool about 4 weeks ago and it still had the plain blade .

Dunc

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: Skeletool Blade styles
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:37:42 PM
They are still pushing through old stock.  Some stores I go to have the CE and others PE, the best way to tell is by the package, it has slightly different artwork.  Same goes for the CX model.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:02:27 PM
Thanks , I'm not a big fan of combo edges . I like them to be one or the other and it makes sharpening alot easier too.

Dunc

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:15:20 PM
I wish my CX had a 154CM PE blade... It's more along my lines of how I like my knives
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Offline Passive101

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:21 PM
CE & PE. Which are straight blades and which are serrated?

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 05:19:59 PM
PE= Plain edge
CE=Combo edge
SE=Fully Serrated edge.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 04:31:20 AM
Thanks , I'm not a big fan of combo edges . I like them to be one or the other and it makes sharpening alot easier too.

Dunc

That's the way I feel as well about blades as well :tu: I prefer PE but if not then I like a SE :cheers:

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:47:34 AM
i guess i'm the odd man out.  i like the ce on the freestyle and will migrate that blade to my skeletool as soon as i dig up another t9 torx bit.

on an unrealted note, can i send my blade into LM and have then sharpen it?  or should i jsut invest in a good kit and learn to do it my self?
'

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15:04 PM
Invest in a good kit.  I have a Smiths sharpmaker clone that does a very good job.  I can get most any blade to whittle hairs in a few minutes.  The only thing I have a big problem with is the tougher steels if they get dull, since I don't have any diamond rods, but I usually touch up and then strop on a peice of leather or some old denim then I'm good to go again.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:15:26 PM
There is this disclaimer on the Leatherman warranty page:

"SKELETOOL and SKELETOOL CX notice:
We have made a running change to the knife blades on the Skeletool and Skeletool CX multi-purpose tools. If you turn one of these tools in for warranty you may receive the new configuration for repair/replacement. The blade material has not been changed on either model, but the cutting edge has been changed to the following:

Skeletool:
(ORIG) straight-edge blade (NEW) combo straight/serrated edge
Skeletool CX:
(ORIG) combo straight/serrated edge (NEW) straight-edge blade

To view the new models visit the Skeletool and Skeletool CX product pages."
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 04:11:42 AM
Hmmm, guess I never thought about the warranty issues. It's bound to annoy someone when their Skeletool doesn't come back with the same blade style it used to have. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 04:44:53 AM
Hmmm, guess I never thought about the warranty issues. It's bound to annoy someone when their Skeletool doesn't come back with the same blade style it used to have. :-\

I know I wouldn't be happy about it :-\ But I guess that means I have to buy a new Skeley CX so I can keep my PE even if it gets sent in for repair ::) :D

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:20:34 PM
i guess i'm the odd man out.  i like the ce on the freestyle and will migrate that blade to my skeletool as soon as i dig up another t9 torx bit.

on an unrealted note, can i send my blade into LM and have then sharpen it?  or should i jsut invest in a good kit and learn to do it my self?

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Super easy to use, even for a klutz like me. I use it regularly to sharpen 154, VG-10 and ATS-34 steel blades with no problems.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:04 PM
So if I were to send in my CE CX... they would send me back a PE CX? And it would still be the 154CM? Sweet :D
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%