Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The freakin' Grappler

Santos · 20 · 3093

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
The freakin' Grappler
on: January 12, 2010, 10:38:23 AM
Well i thought i start a seperate thread, i may be owning a gerber multitool (well i aready own an LMF II, the best damn one piece tool gerber makes!)

The problems is... when is the exact release date?
I have flogged my LM Crunch (lucky as i got more than i paid for it)
and am anxious to get my hand on this 'Wingman' For my Sog ParaWrench.

I'm even going to be as bold as to suggest the first thing i want to do with it is lose the knife and go for a saw coupler mod (fingers crossed its possible and straight forward  :think:)

I may also be the only one who is looking forward to a pry bar/nail puler (ruler?) Even sadder is i find myself affectionately refering to it already as the Mexican (Grappler)

So anyoe want to put up info or thoughts.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Re: The freakin' Grappler
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:32 AM
over 24 hours, 51 vies... and not a single reply? 

Gerbers really do get no love.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:29:40 AM
over 24 hours, 51 vies... and not a single reply? 

Gerbers really do get no love.

all i have is a little clutch so cant really compare it to say my wave that ive had for 12 years, but i love the little clutch and would buy a larger gerber if one came up at the right price, they appear well made and at good prices , getting some love from me  :salute:

paul 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:48:32 PM
Tragically I will have no additional info on this or any other new Gerbers for about a week.  I will be meeting with their marketing head and lead designers at SHOT, and I guarantee you I will be having a good, close look at the Grappler, Strata and Octanes (plus any other new goodies!) and reporting back as much as I can. 

That having been said, I too am excited about a new tool that can take a run at the Crunch.  While I love the Crunch, I think it's a tool that has been at the top of it's heap for a long time, having survived the Schrade and Kershaw models that attempted to compete with it.  They suffered that same fate, likely because neither one was overly convenient because of the fixed head.  It will be interesting to see how the Grappler, with what appears to be a classic Gerber sliding head design can bring to the table.

I am really excited about Gerber's new products this year. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:01:43 PM
I am interested in the Grappler also i would like to handle one and look at one close up. I am also wondering what they will sell for. The Gerber web site has the price listed as 104.00 but i am thinking after the dust settles they will sell in the 70-80 dollar range.

I like the multi tool locking plier idea i have three Vice Grip Toolbox tools and i like them very much. I don't own a crunch but would like to some day.

I feel that a lot of people on this forum don't care for Gerber tools but that is ok that's why there is so many brands to choose from. A little something for everyone. I only own a few Gerber tools Clutch, MP400, Artifact and a Shard. I like all of them. I carry the MP400 and Shard a lot. I like the MP400 size and weight and it seems to handle all small day to day jobs i come across.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:55 PM
I saw them on preorder from one website for less than 60 USD.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:06 PM

was just ghoingt to say that
i have owned two crunches and my main gripe with them is the fact that some times the handle pops off the headwhen using them like pliers as oppose to vise grips (opening closing action)

On the other hand the sliding heads on gerbers never really excited me.
But if this is the solution to my problem i would be happy

The thing i wold like to see was a 1/4 it driver in the handle much like the wengers. (just thinking of things that could be done within the current design)
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ACHË

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:30:20 AM
....I feel that a lot of people on this forum don't care for Gerber tools......

I'm still a newb here but have gotten the same impression.

Still among my first tool purchases were a pair of Gerbers (400 & 600) and I love them already.

I'm looking forward to the grappler too and hope it doesn't cost as much as they say it looks quite promising.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 03:21:20 PM

I'm not sure I would buy into a pre-order, at least not unless I knew the company that was offering it.  Many companies sell tools they don't have in anticipation of getting them, but as we found out with the initial Skeletools, production problems may mean you are without your tool or your money for a significant amount of time, which can be frustrating when other folks are buying them elsewhere and getting them, or worse, picking them up at Wal Mart.

....I feel that a lot of people on this forum don't care for Gerber tools......

I'm still a newb here but have gotten the same impression.

Still among my first tool purchases were a pair of Gerbers (400 & 600) and I love them already.

I'm looking forward to the grappler too and hope it doesn't cost as much as they say it looks quite promising.

If you have an MP400 and 600 then you know that Gerber can do tools right.  Now go out and buy a Resolve/Suspension/EVO/Ripstop or one of the others in that series and you'll see why Gerber's name has taken a few hits.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:10:10 PM
People here slam Gerber stuff? :ahhh
S

Offline pmoore

• Make what you need from what you have.
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:39:00 PM
I must say I have nothing but love for the Gerbers that I own. Mostly the MP's

Paul
K

us Offline ACHË

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:55:04 AM
If you have an MP400 and 600 then you know that Gerber can do tools right.  Now go out and buy a Resolve/Suspension/EVO/Ripstop or one of the others in that series and you'll see why Gerber's name has taken a few hits.

I agree that those tools as far as design & quality have not been getting good marks from what I've read...

That's why I went for the USA made 400 & 600, and apart from the Flik & possibly the Grappler, haven't considered any other Gerbers yet.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:09:05 AM
I've always been impressed with Gerber's design department, but oftentimes am disappointed with the poor quality of manufacturing. :-\

I find myself desperately hoping they have raised their bar with the Strata, Octane and Grappler.  

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 04:31:12 AM

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:43 AM
So i am in australia but everytime i go to gerbergear.com the damn website redirects me to gerberuk.com  :rant:

Well today i remebered that i just need to go through a proxxy server, and it worked.. (my sudden prolonged attack of NooB-itis has dissapated)

release day:
February (vague huh? but at least its only 2 weks and not 2 months)

I only regret that by the time i get mine all the usa folk will have already bagged one and be dising out 'authoritive' opinions :D
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 07:01:57 AM
anyone got one yet? we have reviews on the others...
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:25 PM
Canada must be the last place on earth to get new things. My local MT shop didn't even know about the new 2010 models of anything lol. It will be very much like the Leatherman 300, where everyone will have one before I can get my grubby big mitts on one.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:35:29 PM
Canada must be the last place on earth to get new things. My local MT shop didn't even know about the new 2010 models of anything lol. It will be very much like the Leatherman 300, where everyone will have one before I can get my grubby big mitts on one.

And 3 months after you get yours, they'll show up in quebec.  :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 05:02:28 PM
Point well taken.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline SoDak

Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:22:37 AM
This does look like an interesting tool since I always loved the idea of a visegrip tool and this one does look pretty inovative. However, somedays I just wish somebody would take another run at the schrade toughgrip since I thought it was a great way to make an affordable but tough visegrip tool. All it needed was a handle that didn't pinch and better tools. sigh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%