Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit adapter madness

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Bit adapter madness
Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 04:18:17 AM
I thought that sheath actually looked pretty cool...  :-[ :-[ :-[

But now I don't think I want to offer you a trade for it! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 08:03:22 AM
Bob, that is the different style adapter from the one I have. I was wondering when being used with the SideClip does it fit into that cutout in the SideClips handles.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 01:44:26 PM
Mine is the Leatherman (Standard) Bit Adapter. It only fits the older PST, PST II, Mini-Tool, SideClip, etc. The paperwork that came with it is dated 1997, so apparently it is old stock. As ridiculous as this huge sheath and carrier are, Leatherman must have went back to the drawing board and came up with the plastic clamshell carrier at a later date.

Yes, the protruding tang fits exactly into the cutout in a SideClip's handle. I'm not sure what the purpose of the protruding tang is though?

* scba.jpg (Filesize: 48.16 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:25 AM
Thanks Bob, it's strange that I find this stuff so interesting ::)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 11:12:17 PM
Thanks Bob, it's strange that I find this stuff so interesting ::)

I think we here are the normal ones, and the rest of the world is strange.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 12:54:46 AM
I agree.  Man is known as the Tool Using Animal.  What good is a tool using animal without a tool?  Darwin would have slapped those other people for fouling up evolution.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 08:29:05 AM
Thanks guys, It's good to know that I'm not alone.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 12:35:28 PM
You aren't alone... I'd say right about now there are probably about 410 souls in agreement with you!

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #38 on: July 15, 2007, 11:33:07 AM
Yes the adapter you are asking about is made by Gerber. The one I have came with the Diesel model I have....Hope this helps :)

prime77, can you tell if this http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72915-5499-1278.html adapter fits the Diesel and Suspension?

The description says "fits all Gerber multi-plier" but that could well be in error.

Thanks again for your help.

N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 12:33:11 AM
I'm sorry that is the adapter that Jsews talked about that fits the older Gerbers not the Diesel and Suspension.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 12:45:49 AM
Yes, I agree. Ringzero, the one you linked to has a square hole in the base, made to fit the 400 and 600 series Gerber tools. It won't fit properly onto the new "flattened" phillips drivers like the Suspension has.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 06:07:00 AM
I'm sorry that is the adapter that Jsews talked about that fits the older Gerbers not the Diesel and Suspension.

Thanks prime77, that's exactly what I feared might be the case.

Can't understand why Gerber doesn't make the bit adapters more available for Diesel and Suspension (and whatever other models that particular adapter would fit.)

I'm certain that some percentage of people who own a Diesel or Suspension would want to purchase a bit adapter kit to extend the capabilities of their multi.

If they knew it was available.

If they could find a source actually offering it for sale.

Seems to me that Gerber is missing out on additional sales for no good reason.

N

Offline supratentorial

Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 07:41:16 AM
Bit adapters seem to be the norm with any new multitool that comes out.  I think it's a good idea.  Anything thats expands the usefulness of the tool works for me. Some work better than others.  Here are a sampling of the ones I have.  Do you guys know of any others.

prime77,  Nice thread!  It's a very nice overview but you're missing one of my favorites.  The Kershaw A100TA magnetic adapter has a unique design.  The adapter is held by the locking pliers in either a 180 deg (shown), 90 deg, or 45 deg angle. 

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:46:09 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 08:42:33 AM
I had read about that adapter a while back but never saw any pictures of it. Thanks :) It looks to be truly an original.
"

Offline zackhugh

Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 09:48:35 PM
I had the Kershaw tool a long time (before I discovered this place), but purchased one of the bit adapters after coming here, just for completeness sake.  Has anyone tried to use it?  Seems a bit awkward to me like it could slip out and/or be scratched up pretty good in the process.  A unique design, for sure.

Offline damota

Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 11:57:09 PM

I'm certain that some percentage of people who own a Diesel or Suspension would want to purchase a bit adapter kit to extend the capabilities of their multi.

Try emailing and ask if they have the new one with 9 bits they may just be not putting the newer one up on the web.
It might be made in Taiwan but it is a far better design than the old chrome plated one it has three extra bits and is made so you can fit a spanner for extra leverage (saves twisting the tools handle on really hard to loosen nuts)
They are available in the UK so should be over in the states-
http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/gerber_accessories.html     
below the pouch's.

Dave

Offline supratentorial

Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 06:01:34 AM
I had the Kershaw tool a long time (before I discovered this place), but purchased one of the bit adapters after coming here, just for completeness sake.  Has anyone tried to use it?  Seems a bit awkward to me like it could slip out and/or be scratched up pretty good in the process.  A unique design, for sure.

There are recesses in the adapter to fit the pliers at three angles.  At a 180 deg angle, the pliers fit tightly in the recess and it's surprisingly solid.  In this configuration, it's probably as good as any other adapter.   :)  At a 90 deg or 45 deg angle, the pliers fit loosely.   :(  I'm not sure why they made the recesses at 90 deg and 45 deg so much larger than the jaws of the pliers.   

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 09:16:23 AM
Try emailing and ask if they have the new one with 9 bits they may just be not putting the newer one up on the web.
It might be made in Taiwan but it is a far better design than the old chrome plated one it has three extra bits and is made so you can fit a spanner for extra leverage (saves twisting the tools handle on really hard to loosen nuts)
They are available in the UK so should be over in the states-

Thanks damota.

It helps to have the official Gerber part number.  I finally was able to find the correct adapter kit on the Gerber website.

Apparently this adapter kit isn't commonly offered for sale, even by web merchants that carry the whole lineup of Gerber multis.  Once I had the official Gerber PN, I was able to Google a few places - rather obscure places I might add - that do offer it for sale.

None of the big knife sellers or outdoor equipment sellers that I usually rely on seem to offer it.

Thanks again for your help.

N

Offline damota

Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 09:37:55 AM
I would have pointed you to Gerbers site but they have three listed there, all with the picture of the new one  :twak:
That could be a reason retailers are a little reluctant to order them encase they get the wrong ones. When/if you order them try and get the boxed one because the last one I got was in a clam pack and it had the wrong sized pouch (too small). They sent me a couple of different tool pouch's with the extra pocket FOC after I contacted them so I think a rogue batch might have got out for sale.

Dave

Offline zackhugh

Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:51 AM
[There are recesses in the adapter to fit the pliers at three angles.  At a 180 deg angle, the pliers fit tightly in the recess and it's surprisingly solid.  In this configuration, it's probably as good as any other adapter.   :)  At a 90 deg or 45 deg angle, the pliers fit loosely.   :(  I'm not sure why they made the recesses at 90 deg and 45 deg so much larger than the jaws of the pliers.   

Yeah, now that I think about it you're right.  When I first got the adapter I was trying to use it like in the illustrations and as I recall, one of the configurations was OK.  I think the 45 degree angle really sucked though.  Slipped out very easily.  But this adapter is an interesting addition to an interesting tool.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 10:21:46 AM
I would have pointed you to Gerbers site but they have three listed there, all with the picture of the new one  :twak:

Gerber's website is amazingly bad.  Instead of straightforward descriptions and decent pics of their products, they offer tiny little pics and a big load of marketing-speak.

Why don't they put a link on the Suspension page, Diesel page, etc. pointing to the correct bit adapter kit for that particular model of multitool?  Informing the customer that there is an accessory available for his tool isn't exactly a radical idea.

Gerber isn't the only big consumer-products manufacturer that has a pitiful website - there are plenty of others I could name that are as bad or worse.

That could be a reason retailers are a little reluctant to order them encase they get the wrong ones.

That, and probably Gerber has never bothered to INFORM the retailers there is bit adapter available that fits all those newer models.  Wouldn't surprise me if the catalogs Gerber sends to retailers are as uninformative as their website.

When/if you order them try and get the boxed one because the last one I got was in a clam pack and it had the wrong sized pouch (too small). They sent me a couple of different tool pouch's with the extra pocket FOC after I contacted them so I think a rogue batch might have got out for sale.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably just have to take whatever I can get, then complain to Gerber if it's the wrong pouch.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD