Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for tang stamps 1950-1961?

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Looking for tang stamps 1950-1961?
on: February 10, 2010, 08:50:57 PM
Hi folks!

I am on the quest to learn about the Victorinox tang stamps on Officier/standard models in the periode 1950-1961?
So i was wondering if you can tell me what yours is marked on models that you know is from the 50s.

If for example:
VICTORINOX
SWITZERLAND
STAINLESS
ROSTFREI
and oposite:
VICTORIA (CROSSBOW)
OFFICIER
SUISSE

It is possible this was used in the late 50s or so anyway whatever the stamps is on this periode i would like to know :)

example tang stamp:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=295&highlight=tang stamp

NM
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Looking for tang stamps 1950-1961?
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:30:11 AM
Good Question.

I think that stamp at that time has to be a Victoria or Elinox variant.

It is quite possible a knife of that age would have been reparied or reconditioned once and in the process aquired a later Tang Stamp.

I noticed in the last VSAKCS newsletter (or maybe prior one) he mentioned something about some altered knives made to look like rare ones or something.  Unfortuneately very few details (basically none) were given, it looks like we have to wait for a future issue for that.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:50:47 AM
In the period you mention, 1950-1961, there was a significant transition in the tang stamps. Before this, there was the Armee Suisse stamp exclusively (at least as far as I've seen, although not many data points here to be honest):

This stamp lasted into at least the beginning of 1951-1961 era. I have a Fisherman that I've posted pics of before from this era that has the Armee Suisse stamp:

According to Victorinox, the next tang stamp chronologically is the Victoria/No Crossbow stamp:

I don't have any knives with this stamp, but have seen one knife from this era (84mm Hunstman, I think belongs to a member here) that does. Finally, there is the Victoria/Crossbow stamp we all know and love:

I have several knives from the very end of the era in question - c. 1961 (large awl, hidden rivets) and all of them have this stamp. The next time period, 1962-1968 is the time where the knives have the small awl and the shackle/bail (IOW, pre-keyring). I have about 20 or so knives from this time period and all of them have the Victoria+crossbow stamp.

Now, I know this contradicts some the dates in the Victorinox literature floating around. Unfortunately, I find a lots of the dating methods do. Sorry for the long, rambling post. Hope this helps.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:45:57 AM
Hi

Thank you Chris!

This was super as always!

NM
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:44 PM

Interesting with the altered knives!

NM
Get more tools

spam Offline radioz

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:27:17 PM
So Jassbass, what time period is covered by the last tang stamp above (the one with the cross-bow)?

I have a nice Swiss Champ that has that stamp with old magnifier, screwed scissors, awl with hole, round 'Pat' mini-screwdriver, Plus scales, and pliers with cutters but no crimper.

I found an unused Survival kit in a local knife shop recently and picked it up for a fairly reasonable price. I'd like to figure out how old it is.

Thanks

(ps: Why don't we put all the known tang stamps and their histories on the Sak Wiki?)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:04:53 AM
So Jassbass, what time period is covered by the last tang stamp above (the one with the cross-bow)?

Best guess? Late 50s to about 1974-75.

I have a nice Swiss Champ that has that stamp with old magnifier, screwed scissors, awl with hole, round 'Pat' mini-screwdriver, Plus scales, and pliers with cutters but no crimper.

I found an unused Survival kit in a local knife shop recently and picked it up for a fairly reasonable price. I'd like to figure out how old it is.

The SwissChamp came out in 1986. The pliers got the crimper in c. 1995. Since there are so many tools on a SwissChamp, there are lots of things to look at to date it. Post some pics and I can tell you what I know about it. That said...

Are you positive it has the Victoria and crossbow stamp? And not the standard "Officier Suisse" crossbow stamp? Because if you have a SwissChamp with a Victoria stamp, that means someone at Victorinox found some very old blades when they were making that knife. That would be a very, very unique knife to say the least. Please - PICS!!!!!  :D

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:49:13 PM
Hi

Just a picture finally my computer let me attach pictures  :cheers:
 ;)
pictureCA0GYHC1.jpg
* pictureCA0GYHC1.jpg (Filesize: 18.42 KB)
Get more tools

spam Offline radioz

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:24:08 PM
jazzbass:

Are you positive it has the Victoria and crossbow stamp? And not the standard "Officier Suisse" crossbow stamp? Because if you have a SwissChamp with a Victoria stamp, that means someone at Victorinox found some very old blades when they were making that knife. That would be a very, very unique knife to say the least.

Ah, my mistake. It is the "Officer Suisse" crossbow stamp. Rats! Here I was hoping for something etherial!

That being the case, when was the Officer Suisse crossbow stamp last used?

Thanks for your help! :cheers:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:27 PM
jazzbass:

Are you positive it has the Victoria and crossbow stamp? And not the standard "Officier Suisse" crossbow stamp? Because if you have a SwissChamp with a Victoria stamp, that means someone at Victorinox found some very old blades when they were making that knife. That would be a very, very unique knife to say the least.

Ah, my mistake. It is the "Officer Suisse" crossbow stamp. Rats! Here I was hoping for something etherial!

That being the case, when was the Officer Suisse crossbow stamp last used?

Thanks for your help! :cheers:

"Victoria" stamps ended c. 1974. For about a year there was no stamp on the back, then the "Officier Suisse" stamp went from roughly 1975/6-2005. Last year for them was after the switch from 2.4mm to 2.0mm tangs in 2004. So there is one year out there where you can find the older stamp on the newer, "thin tang" blade. Most of the ones I've seen are on Spartan Lites, for whatever reason.

As with anything parts related with Victorinox, left over inventory can create some odd outliers, but these are the generally accepted dates.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:38:01 PM by jazzbass »

Offline Relkriv

• New User
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 10:35:03 PM
Victoria with a crossbow was first used in 1943.  Ithink it was last used in the 80s or possibly early 90s.
Victorinox, Switzerland, Stainless, Rostfrei was first used in 1963 and is still being used.
Swiss Army Knives a Collectors Companion by Derek Jacjson

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 12:45:10 AM
Victoria with a crossbow was first used in 1943.  Ithink it was last used in the 80s or possibly early 90s.
Victorinox, Switzerland, Stainless, Rostfrei was first used in 1963 and is still being used.
Swiss Army Knives a Collectors Companion by Derek Jacjson

Hello and welcome.  :)

This thread is over 10 years old and quite outdated. Please reference the page linked below (which some of us worked on collaboratively) if you would like to discuss tang stamps and the associated dates and ranges.

https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Tang+Stamp+Guide

There is a thread where we discussed the format of the stamp acronyms and abbreviations. Any proposed changes could be discussed there. Thanks!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 01:07:59 AM
For added discussion I suggest:

Tang Stamp Project:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85982.msg2179642.html#msg2179642

Ulli’s tang stamp thread:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50014.210.html

Or if you want to propose changes to SAKWiki:

Been doing some work in the wiki:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68075.750.html

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%