Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Airliner Security

yud · 16 · 1383

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Airliner Security
on: February 22, 2010, 04:50:07 PM
For one of my classes I have to do a youtube video on a social problem and I am doing the security of airliners.

Airliner Security

I have honed my problem down to the edge of the security of the airliner.  This is a social problem because the nation’s airways are not safe as evidenced by the Christmas bombing, and the Transportation Safety Administration keeps adding new screening procedures that invade the privacy of the average flyer.  Also due to these problems airlines are suffering, which since 35,000 people work for Southwest alone, airlines suffering come be a huge issue.

As I see it there are three sub-issues hijackings, bombings, and slow downs due to airport security the solutions to these issues are:
•Hijackings
             oSeal the cockpit so it can not entered in flight.
                         Research: relief crews and crew comfort (i.e. food and restrooms)  
             oSlow down hijackers so pilots can hit a panic button which would cut the cockpit out of the control of the aircraft.
                         Research: autopilot
•Airport Security
             oScreen only for explosives.  
                         Research: faster screening procedures for explosives.
•Bombing
              oMake airliners more survivable.
                          Research: aircraft that have survived massive damage (e.g. Philippine Airlines Flight 434, Aloha Airlines Flight 243).

Any thoughts

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Offline Magnus

Re: Airliner Security
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:59 PM
The simplest solution is to just issue everyone pistols as they board, no one is going to mess with the flight of a bunch of armed, cramped and generally pissed off economy fliers.  :rofl:
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:06 PM
Firearms are a bad idea on a plane.  While there may be no issues with explosive decompression (as per the Mythbusters!) there are too many accidental targets in a confined space to allow the average person a decent shot.  Much better to put an electric cattle prod under each seat with the life jacket, as I really don't think a quick death is a suitable punishment for anyone looking to endanger others.   >:D

Something like this should work!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:34:43 PM
Have uniformed guards on the plain that is equipped with non lethal weapons and guards in civilian that packs firearms, when the terrorist are going to highjack a plain they go the uniformed guards and take them down, giving the guards in plain clothes opportunity to ambush them and take them down. If that fails then the pilot will release the anesthesia gas and everyone on the plain will fall asleep.

Or they could just transport them of the plain as long that they don’t take out the transporter room
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:36:09 PM
Uh, I'll take the non-uniformed position please...  :o

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:38:21 PM
Uh, I'll take the non-uniformed position please...  :o

Def

And you wonder why the company have you take an IQ test when you apply for the job

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:10:30 PM
Firearms are a bad idea on a plane.  While there may be no issues with explosive decompression (as per the Mythbusters!) there are too many accidental targets in a confined space to allow the average person a decent shot.  Much better to put an electric cattle prod under each seat with the life jacket, as I really don't think a quick death is a suitable punishment for anyone looking to endanger others.   >:D

Def
Sounds reasonable, but somehow I think it will just end up like that Simpsons episode where they relentlessly shock each other until the Doctor pulls the plug.

I can see passengers shocking people who talk too much, people who recline their seats into your lap, folks with crying babies, crying babies, unruly kids, any kids, flight attendants that do not serve you a drink fast enough, any flight attendants,.....................Oh crap I better stop or I will never get this posted.   :rofl:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:16:16 PM
There was some blog/article about something similar around Christmas, where statistically speaking you're more likely to get struck by lightning than ever experience a terrorist attack in an airplane.

Anyone determined to do bad things will always find other ways to do them.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:19:24 PM
Firearms are a bad idea on a plane.  While there may be no issues with explosive decompression (as per the Mythbusters!) there are too many accidental targets in a confined space to allow the average person a decent shot.  Much better to put an electric cattle prod under each seat with the life jacket, as I really don't think a quick death is a suitable punishment for anyone looking to endanger others.   >:D

Def
Sounds reasonable, but somehow I think it will just end up like that Simpsons episode where they relentlessly shock each other until the Doctor pulls the plug.

I can see passengers shocking people who talk too much, people who recline their seats into your lap, folks with crying babies, crying babies, unruly kids, any kids, flight attendants that do not serve you a drink fast enough, any flight attendants,.....................Oh crap I better stop or I will never get this posted.   :rofl:

Yes, and I wish I had shock sticks the last time I flew!  :P

And besides, then everyone would be either too busy or unable to hijack the plane anyway!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:32 PM
I say allow anything and everything on airplanes.  If you have a carry license for a gun, you can carry it...knives, matches, and as many ounces of shampoo that you want.  No strip searches, no shoe sniffing guards and no one going through your bags.

I also say create a very narrow profile of who bombs and hijacks planes, and profile the holy hell out of them. 

When people say "oh if you don't like being searched, don't fly!", I'll use that same response when someone would say I'm "profiling" a certain type of person..."You don't like a special treatment before getting on a plane?  Don't fly!"
[

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:23 PM
Everyone that fly’s should be drugged like they where Keith Richards..........Cut's down cost on meals and drinks since when they are zombies they don't want to eat, you only have 2 flight attendants since they only need to wipe the drool of you, you can remove the head since everyone have been given a complimentary diaper that they will change when they get to the hotel (now it's their problem)...................The possibilities are huge when you have people in a drug induced coma

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:07 PM
I say allow anything and everything on airplanes.  If you have a carry license for a gun, you can carry it...knives, matches, and as many ounces of shampoo that you want.  No strip searches, no shoe sniffing guards and no one going through your bags.

I also say create a very narrow profile of who bombs and hijacks planes, and profile the holy hell out of them.  

When people say "oh if you don't like being searched, don't fly!", I'll use that same response when someone would say I'm "profiling" a certain type of person..."You don't like a special treatment before getting on a plane?  Don't fly!"
+1 on PROFILE.  My infant daughter was search because I was holding her when my Bubblegum pack set off the sensor.  
We can not put security on every fight, the increase expense would kill the industry.  
I agree with locking down the cockpit.  The most important security aspect is not to prevent the downing of one plane (though extremely tragic), the goal should be to prevent the use of the plane as a guided missile (far more destructive.)  Locking down the cockpit should be the #1 priority, along with strict rules preventing the pilot from from ever opening the pit during flight/boarding/boarding.
JUST MY UNEDUCATED (in airline safety) OPINIONS.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:55:52 PM
+1 on priorities

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 11:20:12 PM
Just think, if folks were sedated, and put in bunks, you could cut down not only on costs of in flight service, but also increase the capacity of the aircraft, cutting costs even further.  Frankly, I've considered that to be a good idea for years.

Def

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:53:08 AM
Yud, if you have to investigate a social problem, how about the issue of the invasion of personal privacy when flying. You could interview people on their opinions on the new scanners and whether they are comfortable with them. I know it's not specifically what you wanted to focus on but it would be simple to film and the results would be interesting.
I

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 03:57:52 PM
thanks for the suggestion, but saddly the professor changed the assignment :-[ so I had to change topic.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21