Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My meager SAK collection grows...

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
My meager SAK collection grows...
on: July 11, 2007, 01:44:36 AM
The only SAKs I own are the OHT, an Alox Soldier (Pioneer maybe...the civilian verson), and an old Sportsman that I carry mainly.

Today I ordered two used SAKs from Tim (Felinevet)...a Recruit for $5 and a Ranger for $12.  I'm looking foward to the Ranger..it will be the SAK with the most impliments on it that I'll own.  I've never used a Vic file before...a good file says a lot about a tool :multi:

[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: My meager SAK collection grows...
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:45:55 AM
Here's the differences between Soldiers and Pioneers:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=35

The Ranger is a pretty cool SAK.  Big, but not cumbersome.  And Vic's file is second to none.  Try cutting a nail with it and a few multis and see what you think.

Nice to see another addicted soul... between the multis and now the SAKs, it would seem we are rapidly owning your soul! Mwaahahahaaaaaa!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:19:36 AM
Here's the differences between Soldiers and Pioneers:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=35

The Ranger is a pretty cool SAK.  Big, but not cumbersome.  And Vic's file is second to none.  Try cutting a nail with it and a few multis and see what you think.

Nice to see another addicted soul... between the multis and now the SAKs, it would seem we are rapidly owning your soul! Mwaahahahaaaaaa!

Def
      Not to mention your wallet too! If a certain someone was around,he'd be here to give you the pokey stick treatment until you landed an Executive. Soon you'll be jonesin' for the entire Alox line,then the need for some 111mm goodness will set in,and it's ongoing thing,as many here will attest.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:27:58 PM
could,nt help but notice your missing a farmer!

you wana put that right and soon ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:06:29 PM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 05:11:55 PM
ummm what about the Oldies ??? you've got have some old SOLDIER to tell
the History...and some Swiss Multitool to be part of the group  :multi: :pok:
Is it late to run away?  :pok: hehehehehehe 
M.TEX

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 06:02:33 PM
And don't forget the AutoTool and SportRatchet!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:20:19 PM
I got them Friday, beautiful shape for "used" knives...

The knife I thought was a Ranger is actually something else (or is it?)  It's got everything the Ranger had, except the hook and I belive the chisel on the back.  "Camper" is printed on the front scale...is this a slightly diffrent version of the Ranger, or another tool altogether?

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 04:38:45 AM
The Camper scales were part of a series in the 80's where Victorinox was promoting them more for outdoor activities.  My trusty old Camper has scales like that and you find them on several models available in that era.

Here's the Camper- is this what yours looks like?
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=167&Itemid=35

The Hook was introduced in '91 so yours is obviously older than that.  The chisel I believe came out in '84 or so, and so this knife probably dates before that as well.  It is still a Ranger model, just an older one.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 05:25:00 AM
The Camper scales were part of a series in the 80's where Victorinox was promoting them more for outdoor activities.  My trusty old Camper has scales like that and you find them on several models available in that era.

Here's the Camper- is this what yours looks like?
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=167&Itemid=35

The Hook was introduced in '91 so yours is obviously older than that.  The chisel I believe came out in '84 or so, and so this knife probably dates before that as well.  It is still a Ranger model, just an older one.

Def

Similar, mine also has scissors and file though.  The teepee is a bit diffrent also :grin:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 02:06:45 PM
Yeah, the scissors and the file make it a Ranger- the different teepee is likely because mine is an overseas model while yours is likely a NA model.  In typical Victorinox fashion they confuse everyone with names and markings.  The Camper model (which I have) and the Camping series really have nothing to do with eachother, other than the fact that the Camping series included a Camper model.

Nice score at any rate. 

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 12:12:21 AM
Tim has great prices on the used SAKS...he should update the list on his website though..many of them have been sold ;D
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 06:36:16 AM
Tim has great prices on the used SAKS...he should update the list on his website though..many of them have been sold ;D

I disagree... he does not need to update his website.  He would probably end up putting something up that I would have to buy :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:11:50 PM
This has been one of those things that has been discussed before.  The sheer volume of things that Tim gets on a regular basis means that there's no way, unless he hired a full time stock guy, that he can keep up with it.  And, if he hired a stock guy, he'd probably have to raise prices, and we don't want that!

It's always best to email him- chances are he has what you want hidden away somewhere....

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:51 AM
Yea that's what I did...just email and ask if what you want is available.

I don't want the prices to go up! :o
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 01:24:12 PM
One of the things I love about SAK collecting is that it's one of the few hobbies I can afford!

Def

Offline RedRamage

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 04:29:46 AM
could,nt help but notice your missing a farmer!

you wana but that right and soon ;) ;D
Gotta second the Farmer acquisition.  I was never a big Alox person but everyone was pushin' the Farmers so much that I ordered a blue one from Felinevet.  My, oh, my, but that is a pretty knife.  I ended up getting a Red Farmer too a while back.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%