Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool???

665ae · 141 · 15703

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Skeletool???
Reply #120 on: August 24, 2007, 09:49:29 PM
I agree, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.  Since Leatherman started to produce the flattened bit design they haven't supported any of the standard 1/4 inch bits unless you buy an additional doodad like the bit extender or UTA.

Once again, it's cheaper and easier to raid existing parts bins than to try and come up with something completely new.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #121 on: August 24, 2007, 09:52:04 PM
I agree, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.  Since Leatherman started to produce the flattened bit design they haven't supported any of the standard 1/4 inch bits unless you buy an additional doodad like the bit extender or UTA.

Once again, it's cheaper and easier to raid existing parts bins than to try and come up with something completely new.

Def
I would guess you're right, so I'll just have to console myself with the fact that LM's bits have TWO sides on each one. (although I might be happy to trade it for the infinetely variable usefullness of a standard socket  ::) )

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #122 on: August 24, 2007, 10:06:26 PM
I agree.  I am not a huge fan of the flattened bit design.  It's the same reason I never buy any Sony equipment anymore.  Nowadays if you buy a Sony camera, you need to either get a Sony handheld PC, a Sony mp3 player etc.  Proprietary devices work for you in some ways, and against you in others.  I haven't started to boycott LM over this, but it is a mark against them... or it would be if I didn't already have a buttload of spare Leatherman flattened bits!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #123 on: August 24, 2007, 10:28:57 PM
I agree.  I am not a huge fan of the flattened bit design.  It's the same reason I never buy any Sony equipment anymore.  Nowadays if you buy a Sony camera, you need to either get a Sony handheld PC, a Sony mp3 player etc.  Proprietary devices work for you in some ways, and against you in others.  I haven't started to boycott LM over this, but it is a mark against them... or it would be if I didn't already have a buttload of spare Leatherman flattened bits!

Def
I concur on the proprietary thing, the strike thing (although I understand why the do it), and the already having plenty of spare bits thing  ;D I wonder if we feel the same way about Apple & Ipod?  ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: August 25, 2007, 01:54:40 AM
Apple is a far superior machine to the PC.  I understand that.  I don't understand how to make one freakin button do everything, so here I am with my PC! :D

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #125 on: August 25, 2007, 02:13:52 AM
My beef with Apple/Ipod is that it's so proprietary, and that I have to conform so much to their UI. I like being more in control than Apple wants me to be  :D

Offline zackhugh

Reply #126 on: August 25, 2007, 02:21:13 AM
My beef with Apple/Ipod is that it's so proprietary, and that I have to conform so much to their UI. I like being more in control than Apple wants me to be  :D

Have you tried Rockbox?

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #127 on: August 25, 2007, 02:30:27 AM
Actually, I haven't tried anything, although my wife just got a Shuffle for her B-Day from her family, so I guess we'll have to figure out the I-tunes deal. What's Rockbox?

Offline zackhugh

Reply #128 on: August 25, 2007, 02:59:30 AM
When I recently got my iPod (I held off for a long time after hearing about problems with it and the lack of a user-changeable battery), I discovered what the big deal was.  It's an easy-to-use device that looked nice.  But it came at the cost of an (over)simplified UI and a sacrifice of functionality. 

Rockbox (which I discovered at the headphone forums), is an open-source firmware upgrade that loads onto the iPod and overlays the existing Apple firmware.  I hate that gapless playback isn't enabled on iPods except for the current 5th generation models.  Anyone who owns an older model has to suffer if they listen to any album meant to play uninterrupted from beginning to end.  I also hate that there isn't any configurable equalizer for the thing, just some pre-sets, which would seem to be an obvious necessity IMO.  Anyway, I loaded Rockbox, and have been using it for a couple of weeks.  It's a bit glitchy sometimes and isn't the easiest thing to figure out, but I like being able to tweak some things that just weren't possible with Apple's UI.  They reduced functions to the easiest and simplest way or eliminated them entirely, which admittedly works for most people.  But unfortunately, not for everyone.  You also have to wonder why you can't get the highest bit rates (Apple Lossless) at the iTunes store.  That's inexplicable to me.  The difference is sometimes subtle when compared to lower bit rates, but it's definitely audible, depending on your equipment and ears.

The good news for you is that you wouldn't be using Rockbox for the Shuffle so you won't have to worry about it.  I think the capacity is too small to put Rockbox on there, and you probably wouldn't want to complicate something elegantly simple like the Shuffle with that anyway.  But if you ever get a larger iPod, Rockbox is something to consider if you can't resist adjusting settings.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #129 on: August 25, 2007, 03:13:13 AM
Thanks for that rundown, zackhugh. Sound like a very worthwhile upgrade to the I-pod. A few years ago, when I had a little more time & money, I was a bit of an audio-head myself, and it would still drive me nuts not to be able to set my own eq. I didn't know about that, or the lossless(ness) of I-tunes. Now that I know that I'm even less impressed. Still very cool about that Rockbox upgrade! If I (or my wife) ever end up with a full size, I'll be sure to find it.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #130 on: August 25, 2007, 03:51:58 AM
You've been warned, man!  I warned ya!   Head-fi is dangerous ;D

I've learned a lot.  I'm no expert but it's interesting to see how things have unfolded and how most people are completely unaware.  Whether it's audio or multitools, sheeple are sheeple.  I used to be into stereos a bit more too, but only recently got into this.

I tell ya.  I was blown away hearing a modded iPod (with bigger capacitors), with a better quality amp and a good interconnect.  It's ear-opening.

Oops, sorry 'bout going so far off-topic.  Back to Skeletool talk!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #131 on: August 25, 2007, 04:01:35 AM
Ok, I've heard the warning (kind of  :D). I use to be into home-audio stuff, but if I would ever get back into audio, it would have to be on a smaller scale... Speaking of smaller scaled pricetags, I wonder what the Freestyle will enter the market at pricewise? Do we know that yet?

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #132 on: August 25, 2007, 06:57:19 AM
I thought I read somewhere that LM had announced a price range for them... but I can't find it.  There's also the possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about too :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #133 on: August 25, 2007, 07:25:33 AM
I dunno. I'm still hung up on that "Rockbox for the Shuffle" part of the discussion. I may need a translator if this thread becomes any more technical.  :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #134 on: August 25, 2007, 08:04:04 AM
Apple is a far superior machine to the PC.  I understand that.

That's an opinion with which I don't agree.  But, I'd as soon not see this thread degenerate into yet another fruitless Apple versus PC debate.

It's just that I can't stand to see a definitive statement like "Apple is a far superior machine to the PC" go unchallenged.  There are millions of people who don't buy into the Apple hype.

N

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: August 25, 2007, 08:58:01 AM
I just wish they had done something other than butterfly opening. I'm excitied about the concept and am sure to pick some up but butterfly opening is soooooo boring.

Offline damota

Reply #136 on: August 26, 2007, 02:12:09 AM
A PC and Mac are both excelent machine after you put Linux into them  ;)
Best bit of software I put on my PC.

Dave

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: August 26, 2007, 11:45:36 AM
Spoonrobot what do you think LM should / could have done apart from butterfly opening? I do agree in that if they could have thought up of some unique concept for tool opening, it would have made the skeletool even more desirable. However, with the minimalist concept and so small frame, and size of the tool, I have trouble imagining what other kind of process they would have incorporated.

Offline kimjune01

• New User
Reply #138 on: August 30, 2007, 07:36:12 AM
PC stands for Personal Computer. A Mac is a PC. A Dell Ubuntu is a PC. Proper terminology is Mac vs. PC
Determining which is 'superior' is just as baffling as determining the superiority of either SAKs and LM's. Take it to some other thread. Keep this one clean.
About the Skeletool, is the release date still November? Is the price range $100-120?thanks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #139 on: August 30, 2007, 12:27:47 PM
Take it to some other thread. Keep this one clean.

While it may be a bit OT, I think it's really just a helpful analogy.  Plus, a discussion is a living thing that needs to grow and thrive it's own way. 

Back on topic, I believe the Skeletool is expected to release in November still, but the pricing that you quoted is for the higher end version, which I believe is still called the FreeStyle.  The Skeletool I think is supposed to have an MSRP of around $80 or so.

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: August 30, 2007, 07:16:58 PM
Hmm, I was under the impression that the higher end model was the skeletol CX, the lower end just skeletool, and the freestyle will be released later, and is supposed to somehow be a mroe basic version of the skeletool  ???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%