Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not tool related but wanted some feedback.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Re: Not tool related but wanted some feedback.
Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 09:21:07 AM
In my opinion and based on my "experience" (I use that term loosely), there's no good reason to waste the energy needed to split larger pieces of wood in a "survival" situation.

I certainly agree with that.  I haven't split many logs with an ax since Boy Scouts, which was too many years ago to contemplate.

In very wet or snowy conditions when you really need to get a fire going, splitting downed branches or hanging squaw wood will usually get you sufficient dry wood to easily start that fire.  Splitting branches of less than 4 inch diameter accounts for most of the splitting I've done over the years.

I don't agree with that.  I'm not going to explain why, because I don't want to start a self defense debate.  I'll happily accept the fact that you have your opinion and I have mine :)

Actually, knife versus ax for self defense is not a matter about which I have a strong opinion or conviction.

Realistically, I have little faith in sucessfully defending myself with either knife or ax against a big, determined, strong opponent - either human or animal.

Either knife or ax is better than an empty hand for defense, but both pale in comparison to the lightweight pistol I carry along outdoors.

(Before someone points this out:  Yes, I am aware that a mere .45 pistol may be worse than useless against a big, determined bear.)

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Not tool related but wanted some feedback.
Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 01:17:46 PM
Realistically, I have little faith in sucessfully defending myself with either knife or ax against a big, determined, strong opponent - either human or animal.

That's probably the most sensible thing I have ever heard someone say when having a self defense discussion!  The other good point to be made is that in such a situation, you rarely have a choice of anything.  Grab what you can when you can and use it, whatever it is.  And if there's nothing to grab, then start clawing, biting etc.  Remember, you'll probably only get one chance so you might as well make it count!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%