Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman storage OPEN or CLOSED ?

ACHË · 11 · 2371

us Offline ACHË

Leatherman storage OPEN or CLOSED ?
on: March 13, 2010, 01:04:02 AM
Has anyone had problems storing their Leatherman tools in the open position?

I know it sounds like a silly question, but I wondered since most of these tools use both compression and friction to "lock" when in the open position. Could this lead to premature looseness on the handle-to-plier joint or even deformation of the top of the handles from being under pressure for long?

Thanx!
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Leatherman storage OPEN or CLOSED ?
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:41:08 AM
Thats an interesting question . I don't think it would do to much harm  :think: Although on the Wave/Charge series the little fork springs in the plierhead would be kept in their open position but I really cant see a problem . If there ever was Leatherman would sort it out . Don't some Wengers have problems with their backsprings if all the tools are opened at once ?

Offline Magnus

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:59:05 AM
Thats an interesting question . I don't think it would do to much harm  :think: Although on the Wave/Charge series the little fork springs in the plierhead would be kept in their open position but I really cant see a problem . If there ever was Leatherman would sort it out . Don't some Wengers have problems with their backsprings if all the tools are opened at once ?

You should never store a SAK, or any multi "fanned out" that spring is only supposed to be under compression whilst opening or closing a tool.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:45:45 PM
But of course ACHË was referring to the plier head.....I shouldn't think that would cause a problem to keep it open for extended periods.

Hmmm, to be honest, it seems to me that being constantly open would cause less metal fatigue on the handle ramp than if the plier were continuously being opened closed opened closed.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:33:02 PM
I can't imagine it would make any significant difference tbh. I store all of my tools closed however, as they take up a lot less space :)
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:38 PM
My guess is that locks , springy thngs , etc . are only being stressd during the act of opening . At a guess , open or closed shouldn't matter .

Chris

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:18:44 PM
I can't imagine it would make any significant difference tbh. I store all of my tools closed however, as they take up a lot less space :)

Now my "drawer queens" I display open the others (while waiting for their rotation) gets stored folded. :cheers:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:53:07 AM

Aren't the handles already open when the tools come from the Leatherman factory in the plastic blister packages?
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:38:08 AM

Aren't the handles already open when the tools come from the Leatherman factory in the plastic blister packages?

Excellent point Parnass :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 07:02:12 AM
Clampacks they come open, in the box they come closed. I don't imagine it makes a difference.

Was there a particular model MT you were concerned about?

For mine, if it's for display I store it open, otherwise it stays closed.
SAW

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:15:05 AM
I've been looking for (but can't find again) an article I read a while ago about the physics of springs and whether storing them under tension will affect or damage them over time.

I don't pretend to understand the physics totally, but the article concluded that it wouldn't, and that the only thing that will affect the "springiness" is the application and release of tension over time. In multitool or SAK terms, that would amount to opening and closing it.

So, I don't think it really matters :)
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69