Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco SpyderRench & Originality

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Spyderco SpyderRench & Originality
on: July 14, 2007, 09:10:10 PM
The Byrd version has been around, but I just saw that the new Spyders are available. So what do you guys think of this unusual tool? I like Spyderco, and I think this is a very cool model. But I just can't see myself carrying/using it, so its hard for me to get too excited about it.

Also, I was thinking about it's design, and it might be the most "original" multitool I can think of. All of us around here probably know LM didn't invent the butterfly pliar thing (thanks in large part to some very cool history threads by JSEWS), but who else ever made anything like the SpyderRench? What are your votes for "most original multitool"?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Spyderco SpyderRench & Originality
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:16:18 PM
The Spyderwrench was indeed innovative and original, but it was also rife with problems from day one, and the results were that Spyderco couldn't keep the line going for any length of time.  Sure it was different, but was that worth twice as much as the majority of Leatherman offerings at the time?  Apparently not, since it disappeared shortly after it was issued.

The new ones are pretty well the same ball game- even the cheaper ByrdWrench looks like it is going to be pretty pricey, although it should really be more in line with the pricing on the Guppie than the ~$100 that it looks like it will be issued at.

Of course I'll probably get one of each, and I'll eventually get an old one, but to be honest, it really doesn't seem like it will fly this time either unless they can really bring the price down.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:57:32 AM
It is a tad expensive, and i can,t see it being twice or three time,s the tool, as the swisstool or spirit, so unless your a collector why bother ???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:00:45 AM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline zackhugh

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:42:05 AM
It's a little pricey, but $85 on one website doesn't seem too bad.  Cheaper than trying to get one of the old ones on eBay (often $120+). 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:03:18 AM
I agree- in today's day and age, $85 seems to be pretty middle of the road as far as pricing goes.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 10:08:10 PM
The street price ended up less than what I had feared it would be.  When the Spyderco people were talking about it at SHOT I thought it would be $100+, but then again they were speaking in terms of MSRP.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 03:21:53 AM
Yeah, MSRP is always a good joke.  I am hoping the street price will drop a little more before I get one.

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:51:18 AM
You know, at one point I had four of the original Spyderenches, a mix of plain edge and combo edge.  A local retailer was closing them out and selling slightly below cost at $55.  I sold a few on eBay.  I did OK but this was before they went for $120-$150 at certain points.  Too bad this occurred before multitool.org or I would have just sold you one at cost.  Anyhow, if there aren't any production problems this time around to artificially prop up prices, I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional drop in secondary markets.  High $60s/Low $70's?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:57:52 PM
That's what I am hoping for.  I'd happily pay that amount for one.  I'd even go up to $100 on an original one, but they seem to be going for a good deal more than that nowadays.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%