Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

To Charge or Crunch

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
To Charge or Crunch
on: July 20, 2007, 03:57:43 AM
I am taking opinions on what I should do.  I was think that I am in some sort of a drought.  Not literally, it is raining cats and dogs here now.  I am thinking of my next toy for the collection.

I am taking any opinions.

Should I get the Leatherman Crunch?

Maybe the Leatherman Charge Ti?

Or even one of those Leatherman Knives with all the cool bells and whistles?  Which by the way I handled one for the first time today and I thought it was solid, well made, and might be worthy of carrying.

I am open to opinions.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Re: To Charge or Crunch
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:05:44 AM
depends on whether you are a collector or a user since the Charge is discontinued. you can still find them available as old stock or used but they are done for and replaced by the AL model
Yabba dabba doo!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 04:12:25 AM
I like the Crunch better, but then I only have the XTi model.  The AL and Ti look like a better configuration to me.

Although the unofficial Multitool.org motto is "all of the above" so I guess you know what the real answer you are going to get it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:17 AM
 All of the above..you know you want to,you really do ;D  Charge Ti would be the route I'd go.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:21:29 AM
Yes, I thought that I would get someone with that answer.  The answer that I thought I would get would be "buy both."  But then again, your answer fills that role nicely.  I was at Dicks sporting goods today.  They seemed to have a lot of the charge series left over.  I wonder why they chose the Aluminum to replace the Titanium?  My guess would be cost.  However, my father works at a Ti manufacturing facility and he says that Ti is strong but not as easy to work with as one might believe, I guess that it is very dificult to make Ti to the right tolerances.  So, that might be another reason why.

I will have to say that I like the idea of the crunch having locking pliers and all.  I need a set of smaller vice grips more than I'd care to admit and I never have them on hand.  The Crunch blade, although not all that is to be desired is effective when needed.  Since I usually have a SAK with me anyway, that is no problem when I need a spearpoint.

I will have to say that I am really impressed with the Leatherman knife with the bit holder in the handle.  I'll just say that it is much more of a tool than I thought it would be.      

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:31:06 AM
I'd go with the Crunch...you can use them as "regular" pliers in a pinch, but you can't use the pliers on a Charge as locking pliers :multi:

The Leatherman knives might look like toys online, but in person they are solid.  I just took a ceeramic rod to my C305 tonight and it's like a razor now.  Now if it was the plain edge version I'd be 100% happy with it (I hate serrations >:( )

The drivers on my knife lock up solidly despite not having an actual lock, and they have great reach.  A Phillips and flathead literally 3 seconds away (I keep mine clipped to my pocket)
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 10:40:12 AM
you seem to be torn between the LM knives and their mulitools, I think the LM Skeletool would suit you well, unfortunately its not out yet so I would recommend the crunch, it is unique and would not be like any other multitool you have.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:50:06 PM
I agree that the crunch is definately different.  A folding set of locking pliers with a few other tools thrown in.  What is not to like.  I was leaning that way for a long time and now having found out that the Charge series is discontinued it make me lean even further.  I am a bit disturbed at why leatherman would drop the Ti handles from the charge series.  It doesn not seem like a good idea to me but then again, I am sure that they have their reasons.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 04:07:14 PM
I don't own a crunch but did own a Kershaw tool, the tool could be used as pliers as well as vice grips. The only difference is, the crunch folds where the Kershaw doesn't. One of these days I will get my hands on one....one of these days. For versatility I would go with the Charge, but then again it's a one sided....err one handed issue :)

David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD