Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Broke my iPhone. Now realize how used I am to having one ...

Woz · 25 · 1766

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
It is crazy. I never realized how much I got used to using an iPhone. Now that I do not have one for at least one week I feel a little lost. Got a Nokia 6300 for a replacement while waiting, and I miss having my emails, the internet, my newsreader... at my fingertips. I really feel like I´ve lost the multitool I use most often, having that Nokia is like being transported to stone age. Guess I am an example of how technology makes us feel addicted. I´m really thinking of getting a spare iPhone just to have one in case mine is broken again...  >:(

Is there a group for tech-addicts somewhere?  :twak: ;)
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Re: Broke my iPhone. Now realize how used I am to having one ...
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:16:39 PM
It is crazy. I never realized how much I got used to using an iPhone. Now that I do not have one for at least one week I feel a little lost. Got a Nokia 6300 for a replacement while waiting, and I miss having my emails, the internet, my newsreader... at my fingertips. I really feel like I´ve lost the multitool I use most often, having that Nokia is like being transported to stone age. Guess I am an example of how technology makes us feel addicted. I´m really thinking of getting a spare iPhone just to have one in case mine is broken again...  >:(

Hello!  My name is Fisting_Chili...and I'm a tech-addict.

What happened to your iphone?  the glass on mine is shattered, though it still works, so I'm thinking of replacing it myself instead of paying Apple, 200.00 to do it.  Anyone ever do this?
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:28:50 PM
Broken glass here too. it still worked, but it was not easy to read mails because of the broken glass. I took it to an independent dealer who will fix it for 1/3 of Apples prize. Apple service rates are insane...

I thought of fixing it myself, but for I´m not very talented when it comes to repairing small devices I decided to go for a pro.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:32:01 PM
Broken glass here too. it still worked, but it was not easy to read mails because of the broken glass. I took it to an independent dealer who will fix it for 1/3 of Apples prize. Apple service rates are insane...

I thought of fixing it myself, but for I´m not very talented when it comes to repairing small devices I decided to go for a pro.

Hmm... did you buy the replacement glass yourself first?  or go through the repair person?
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Magnus

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 04:38:04 PM
I have been using a PDA or similar since I was 10... so I guess you could call me an addict   ::) .

If I don't have my G1 on me I don't have a clue where I am, where I am supposed to be, or who I am.  :rofl:
[

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:21:48 PM
Through the repair person, it is supposed to be a genuine Apple replacement part (can be found in stores or online at a cost of about 50 bucks)
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:28:53 PM
That sucks...I just had a small bout of palpitations at the thought that I'd ever break my iphone.  :)  How did you break it? 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 06:39:00 PM
I feel your pain Woz  :ahhh

My work phone is a 6300, for calls and texts it's fine that's about it  :-\

I know if I had an iPhone I'd never be off the bloody thing  ::)

Still want one though or Blackberry  :tu:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:13:50 PM

Hello!  My name is Fisting_Chili...and I'm a tech-addict.

What happened to your iphone?  the glass on mine is shattered, though it still works, so I'm thinking of replacing it myself instead of paying Apple, 200.00 to do it.  Anyone ever do this?

Were you guys using cases when the glass broke?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23:14 PM
there are loads of howto videos for fixing your iphone on the net and parts providers too...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:01 PM
That's a good question Blackbeard.  What kind of cases do you Iphone users rock on your cases.  I went through lots of them before finally settling on the speck candyshell.  It's a great case and it fits in the switcheasy vision clip II holster...if you use holsters which i do quite a bit.  Great cases. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:43 PM
That's a good question Blackbeard.  What kind of cases do you Iphone users rock on your cases.  I went through lots of them before finally settling on the speck candyshell.  It's a great case and it fits in the switcheasy vision clip II holster...if you use holsters which i do quite a bit.  Great cases. 

Right now I'm just using the Otterbox impact silicone case, with no screen protector, but may go to something beefier for the summertime.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:57 PM
I use a "The Culchie" by Crumpler. It´s a padded pouch that fits the iPhone like a glove. I use it to carry the phone in my pocket. To make a call I have to take it out.

I wanted to charge it, had it on my bedside table without the pouch, and somehow managed to step on the cable. It fell on the ground and the screen cracked. Just the glass, digitizer and LCD are OK. I googled for info on repair an found the 299.- Euro Apple service, the DIY kits and tutorials and some freelancer repair services. I found a dealer near me who said he could fix it within 1 hour. 50 minutes later he called me to tell me that he does not have the glue? needed. He has to order it and that will take him 5 days...

I hope the dealer knows his job, I guess so for it is a larger chain. Maybe he has sent it somewhere to have it fixed and that is why he needs 5 days time, but repair cost is OK and no risk of destroying it by trying myself.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:54:48 PM
When I first got my phone I was so paranoid about breaking it I put in an otterbox defender.  Well that's a beefy case.  It's rock solid though.  Then I started looking around and found itmemorphius on youtube...his reviews are awesome.  Then I tried the incase slider (hated it) then the switcheasy rebels where are ok, but bend out of shape really easily...although I love the dock and headphone jack plugs.  I tried the silicone cases and just didn't like them.  Then tried speck and never looked back.  I use the switcheasy dock protector with the speck and the vision clip II.  Great combos.  Kim loves hers too.  It doesn't add any grip to the phone, but it adds just enough bulk to make it comfortable.  I tried a pouch once and dropped my phone trying to get it out...that was the end of that.  :)  Good luck with the phone Woz. 

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 10:32:12 PM
I'm definitely addicted to mine.... would be a right mess without it  :ahhh

I am thinking about getting a better case but the one I have works OK and has the slightly raised lip at the front to help protect the screen when face down. I also use a Crumpler neoprene pouch to put it in if it's not in my pocket.

The thing that worries me the most about them is not having any kind of lanyard to stop it falling from my at times useless hands  ::)
So far my biggest problem has been needing to delete apps as I ran out of space for the icons :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Magnus

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 11:05:45 PM
honestly, is the iphone really so flimsy that it needs a case?  or are you guys just clumsy?  :think:

I have never used a case for a smartphone, it has a casing that should be able to survive daily use and if it doesn't then I would return it for a refund as unfit for the purpose advertised.
[

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 12:33:07 AM
honestly, is the iphone really so flimsy that it needs a case?  or are you guys just clumsy?  :think:

I have never used a case for a smartphone, it has a casing that should be able to survive daily use and if it doesn't then I would return it for a refund as unfit for the purpose advertised.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people here have had a cellphone, smartphone, pda, iphone etc break on them. Case or no case it happens to most of them.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:54 AM
A guy I talked to at AT&T said that most people assume that the Iphone is flimsy and very delicate so they protect the crap out of it at first...mainly because it's so expensive.  I actually agreed with that.  I'm a bit more of an outdoorsy person that most of the guys at that store who use their iphones without a case but use some kind of pouch so I keep a case on it.  I had a palm centro and that thing was a tank...no case needed. 

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 01:00:52 AM
once my screen is fixed, this is what I'm getting
http://www.ivyskin.com/quattro-t4.html

-Dylan Thomas

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 01:04:51 AM
That looks really interesting.  I'll be interested in how you like it. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 02:41:39 AM

Did you see they have add ons?  An extended battery add on and a money clip add on. 

-Dylan Thomas

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 02:57:36 AM

Did you see they have add ons?  An extended battery add on and a money clip add on. 
No I didn't...very cool.  How well do those extended battery add ons really work? 

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 03:54:42 AM

No I didn't...very cool.  How well do those extended battery add ons really work? 

No idea from personal experience.  Just what I read online.  The battery has my curiosity piqued though...

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 05:58:02 PM
A bit OT, but I played with one of my friend's 32GB iPod Touch and I like it a lot; don't know if I'd get enough use out of it, though, to warrant paying $300 for one. :/  Question:  does the Touch have an FM tuner in it?  :think:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 01:16:52 AM
A bit OT, but I played with one of my friend's 32GB iPod Touch and I like it a lot; don't know if I'd get enough use out of it, though, to warrant paying $300 for one. :/  Question:  does the Touch have an FM tuner in it?  :think:

No, but there are multiple free apps: Pandora, slacker, last FM, xm/sirius etc that stream all kinds of music, nut you need WIFI connection for touch or use iphone over 3G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%