Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

For anyone who didn't believe me about the Grappler

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
For anyone who didn't believe me about the Grappler
on: April 07, 2010, 07:40:52 PM
Here's the pics of the Grappler after it had been used and abused hard for three straight days during some recent renovations.  It was new in the box when I started.

The only time the Grappler failed was when trying to remove a stubborn shower head- the jaws wouldn't open up wide enough to bite the joint.  The Crunch could open enough (just barely) but still wasn't enough to budge the shower head.  It took a twelve inch pipe wrench to give me enough leverage to move it.

The pictures show some cosmetic damage, and a lot of crud and paint stuck on it, along with a lot of wear on the painted bits, which I think proves how much mileage I put on the Grappler.  It's going to get a good cleaning and oiling, but the bottom line is I used this tool hard and it never gave up and never broke.  The only time it failed was when I think every multitool would have failed, so I don't think we can count this against the Grappler.

So, for all those folks who think the Grappler doesn't seem like a solid user, I challenge you to give it a shot.  The proof for me is in the pics!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: For anyone who didn't believe me about the Grappler
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:15 PM
It's always good to see Gerber going back to traditional values in tools, ie working ones :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:56:12 PM
I mentioned that I abused this tool, but I didn't purposely go out of my way to break it.  I used it no harder than the average tradesman would, and I was impressed that it held up.  It might not be as pretty as it once was, but there's no reason it couldn't continue to function.

At one point I had to drill out a plunger on a new caulking gun- bit of a long and unimportant story there, but I needed to hold the 1 1/2" steel disk while I drilled out the hole in the center.  I had no vise, no clamps, and no vice grips except for the Grappler, and it did a great job of holding on.

There were a few jobs like that, things that don't really have a specific tool to accomplish, and you have to make things up as you go.  While there may be limited options compared to other tools, I think the Grappler is well worth having.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:06:28 AM
Good to hear. I still wished it opened wider.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Kmarr

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:07:58 AM
I was actually considering a Vice-grip MT after working on my bike the past few days. In your professional opinion- crunch or grappler?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:00:58 AM
Good to hear. I still wished it opened wider.

Yup, and I wish SOG's gears didn't dig into my hands, I wish Leathermans didn't rust, and I wish Victorinox drivers didn't slip.  I wish Bear tools didn't have awkward wings for lock releases, and I wish Wenger tools were more readily available.  Every tool has it's pluses and minuses- if you have found the perfect tool in all the ones you have bought, please let us know so we can all stop buying all these pretenders!  :D

I was actually considering a Vice-grip MT after working on my bike the past few days. In your professional opinion- crunch or grappler?

Your life won't be complete until you have both.  I know it, and you know it, even if you aren't ready to admit it yet.  You could take the blue pill, wake up tomorrow and believe anything you like, or you can take the red pill and admit you have a problem so you can start enjoying it to it's full potential!  :P

Seriously, I don't have a bike these days so I can't comment on what's better, but I can see benefits to the wider jaws of the Crunch for tightening things that come loose, and I can see the benefits of the pry bar on the Grappler for levering rubber back onto the rim.  I'd strongly suggest that your first tool for biking should be something along the lines of a Topeak Alien so you have all the Allen wrenches you need, then choose the Grappler or the Crunch based on what tools best compliment your bike tool.

I don't think you could go wrong with either really, especially if you got something as a dedicated bike tool first.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:32:59 AM
There is no such thing as the perfect tool.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:46:05 AM
Exactly- although the Tooligan is pretty sweet!  :D

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:46:58 AM
That does come darn close.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:10:12 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Man o' man do they need to come out with a pliers one of those!! :tu: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:42:48 AM
I wish Victorinox drivers didn't slip.  I wish Bear tools didn't have awkward wings for lock releases

Def
I never had a Vic driver slip on me, and I prefer non locking Bear tools :D

Offline Kmarr

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:25 PM

Your life won't be complete until you have both.  I know it, and you know it, even if you aren't ready to admit it yet.  You could take the blue pill, wake up tomorrow and believe anything you like, or you can take the red pill and admit you have a problem so you can start enjoying it to it's full potential!  :P

Seriously, I don't have a bike these days so I can't comment on what's better, but I can see benefits to the wider jaws of the Crunch for tightening things that come loose, and I can see the benefits of the pry bar on the Grappler for levering rubber back onto the rim.  I'd strongly suggest that your first tool for biking should be something along the lines of a Topeak Alien so you have all the Allen wrenches you need, then choose the Grappler or the Crunch based on what tools best compliment your bike tool.

I don't think you could go wrong with either really, especially if you got something as a dedicated bike tool first.

Def

well I already have a dedicated bike tool but I was using vice grips like the dickens for my cable tweaking.  I think it would be time saving if I had some strange extra tools with it, like a pry bar of sorts

us Offline turbov21

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:42:13 PM

Def

:-D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00