Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitasker, Gerber, Leatherman, Mammut, ID Works, and Vics! Oh my!

Chako · 19 · 13578

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Wow! My mailbox was runneth over with little packages when I arrived home after work today. Lots of good stuff came in. One especially, I was on pins and needles awaiting its arrival.

Onto the photographs and some thoughts to go with them.

First up is the Multitasker.
Man oh man, is this one sweet tool. Not sure why I thought it was bigger than it actually is. I just assumed it was larger. Which goes to tell me that I shouldn’t judge tool size by photographs. Anyways, this is a nice medium sized tool with probably the most gripping handles I have ever seen on any MT. The handles are textured G10.  The Multitasker was a hard tool to find. I eventually found one for sale somewhere in the State of New York.

The sheath is very well made. It is made in China, but do not let that fact make you think the sheath if poorly made. It isn’t. Feels very well made. I like how there is a small zippered pouch on the flap. Inside the sheath, are two storage areas, one for the dual bit set and its carrier, and another for the tool. Nice belt attachment also.

The box is rather plain, and that works for me. Why spend a ton of money on fanciful cardboard that most people toss anyways. The packaging is very tastefully done. The side panel has a nice list of the features…

-G10 Grip panel.
-Angled carbon scrapper with radiused tip.
- File with integrated chisel tip carbon scraper.
-440c Tanto style blade with liner lock.
-M4 stock castle nut wrench.
-3/8” boxed wrench for LaRue tactical mounts.
-Extended length removable bit driver with integrated A2 Style front sight adjustment tool.
- 5 double sided bits with ball detent.
- Extended length needlenose pliers.
-1000D nylon Belt pouch.

Whew…what a list. As you can see, plenty of armourer centric tools on the Multitasker.

Opening the lovely sheath, we have…

The contents.

I was surprised at the length of the pliers, which are generous. The tool stored away doesn’t hint at the length of them. Very nice. I also like that the tool is rock solid.

The tool load out. I won’t go into greater detail, as the list on the box which I typed for you above says it all.

Now the blade is very interesting. A Tanto style knife is fairly unique on an MT. It also has a very nice logo on the blade.

The tool is very well made, right down to the brass washers. The liner lock is solid and positive.

Some more details of the Multitasker.

Next up, a Gerber BO Multi-lock.
I bought this off of eBay because I liked the box. I also recalled reading on here that the Multi-plier series was previously called Multi-lock. Anyhow, I was surprised once again to find that the tools are different from my other BO MP600 which came with the OTIS kit. I think you can spend ages trying to get every miniscule change that Gerber has put into the 600 series alone.

Tool composition differs from my other BO as previously mentioned, along with the addition of nail cut outs on some of the tools.

I like knock offs. I am uncertain if it is my curiosity to see just how close they came to the original, or simply to compare them to see what works and what fails. I do know that I like knock offs and find them fascinating. The Mammut Fine Tool Corp tries very hard at being a Leatherman Old Wave, the tool it is obviously copied from.

I bought this off of eBay for a whole 12 bucks. I wasn’t actively searching for one but stumbled upon one and remembered reading about them in here somewhere. For 12 bucks, I couldn’t pass it up. I will say this about the Mammut, it is well made for the money. Not even close to Leatherman quality and I bet Leatherman was annoyed with these. At least they didn’t stamp Leatherman on them unlike the Gerber DET fake.  I will also add that the seller never mentioned Leatherman at all.

The box doesn’t lend much confidence. It is made from thin cardboard. The graphics are equally shy. Don’t adjust your screens, the box graphics are that blurry. Once you open the box and pull out the contents, you will notice that the sheath isn’t much better than the box. It is a very thin exceedingly cheap nylon sheath.

The tool hidden inside was of better quality then the box and the sheath. It has a stylish mammoth on it, and is clearly labeled Mammut. No mistaking this for a Leatherman unless you don’t know what your looking for online. Note the giant brass blade studs. You get one on each side, and sort of makes holding the tool a bit of an annoyance.

Everything seems to fit rather well for a 12 dollar MT. By this point, I have forgotten about my trepidations with the box and sheath. Dang…then I keep hitting those brass studs.

Looking a little closer, we can see that the tools are not even close to Leatherman standards.  However, they aren’t that bad either so long as you keep the price point in perspective. Overall, not an overly bad knockoff.

Now how close did they get to ripping off Leatherman. Very close.

If it wasn’t for those huge brass studs…see them on the bottom tool? Yes, they stick out a mile long. And their labeling the tool as a Mammut, it would be very easy for the unscrupulous to sell these as Leatherman Old Waves which do sell more than this fake could ever aspire.

Likewise, the tools are also different between the real Leatherman, and the Mammut.

Keeping in the spirit of Leatherman, the next tool that came in today is a Camo 3D Seclusion Charge XTi. This was a very hard tool to get. I was practically prepared to beg the US seller to ship up North. Lucky for me, I was spared the embarrassment and subsequent debasement. The guy was quite friendly and helpful.

I am so happy I got one.

Next up on the list, is a CRKT ID Works ZillaTool Jr. This is so much smaller than the ZillaTool. It almost verges on being cute.  However, it is just as solid as the bigger tool. I like this one very much.

Next up is a new Victorinox SportRatchet. This will be my second one.

And last… A nice advertizing Victorinox Secretary.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:31:47 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Kmarr

haha I hope you give your mailman big tips!
you do quite a good job keeping him busy :rofl:

I actually really like that "mammut" thing. Prob not close to LM quality but I like the tool selection

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I like to see my tax dollars being put to good use for a change.  :D

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
the mammut has an awl!

Do any of the components look like they could be swapped between tools,
i.e., how close did they get the design (not tool appearance) to the Wave?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Here are some photos.

Leatherman Wave on left, Mammut on right.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Thje Multitasker is a nice looking tool . I hope he comes out with a non AR centric tool soon !

Chris

Offline Multitaskertools

Thje Multitasker is a nice looking tool . I hope he comes out with a non AR centric tool soon !

Chris

Chako, you got one of the EARLY 1st gen models. I'm glad you like it at least. I HATE the original pouch; if you PM me your address, I will gladly send you one of the Gen2 prototype pouches

I've been swamped getting the Gen2 versions (yes, plural >:D ) ready for production. Everything is behind schedule because I just rejected an entire batch of parts that were not exactly what I wanted...anyhow, I think the tools will be worth the wait.

And yes, I am working on multiple EDC versions, but none of them will be marketed under Multitasker, at least for the moment. Can't say anymore than that for now  :angel:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
PM sent. That is very generous of you.  :salute:

I will say, I am impressed with the quality of the Multitasker. It was well worth the hard search to get one up here.  You can bet I will be adding some more of your models whenever they come out.

Offline Multitaskertools

The Multitasker was a hard tool to find.

Gen1 sold out back in November :ahhh

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
The Multitasker was a hard tool to find.

Gen1 sold out back in November :ahhh

This guys have a few around, I have mine on the way from them :cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MultiTasker-AR-Armorers-Multi-Tool-223-5-56-Carbine_W0QQitemZ370358314282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563b13652a#ht_716wt_939

hope it doesnt preclude you from buying a Gen2 when they are ready  :tu:

It won't :D I just want to get the original before you hit big and forget the little people >:D nah just kidding :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
That is where I got mine also. It was the only place on eBay I could find that would ship to Canada.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
some lovely stuff there chako, that multitasker is sweet  :drool: , and i kind of like the mammut, not enough flat drivers though  :rofl:   :tu:

paul

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Yay - we should start a Mamut Owners's Club  :P

I think I paid $6.95 for mine :D
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Yay - we should start a Mamut Owners's Club  :P

I think I paid $6.95 for mine :D

it was yours i saw first dave, i guess another rear item over here  :-\

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
I got it from ebay before the ban.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
The little mammoth logo sort of grows on you.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:40:43 AM by Chako »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
I got it from ebay before the ban.

i just went onto ebay.com  :o  its another world  :D MT heaven, not like ebay uk , boring,  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%