Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Universal Wrench

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Wenger Universal Wrench
on: July 28, 2007, 08:59:14 AM
Just noticed this tool on the EvoGrip S557:
http://www.wengerna.com/browse/product.jsp?prod_id=11004&cat_id=1&cat_name=Knives&sub_cat_id=84

Maybe Wenger includes it with other SAKs, but I've never noticed it before.

Anyone have a Wenger with this tool?  Does it work well?

Years ago, I had some off brand multitool with a similar implement on it.  I don't have pleasant memories of that implement - i.e. I can't recall it being useful or working very well.

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Wenger Universal Wrench
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:32:05 AM
I,ve got it on a pocket tool chest, but i,ve not used it ::),

the quality is high as you,d expect from a swiss product, but i,d only use it in emergencies or when i didnt have a more suitable tool to hand, as i think it,d be easy to round nuts n bolts of with it :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:53:37 PM
I've heard wrench tools like that one referred to as "alligator" wrenchs. I've never used the Wenger tool. On a small nut or bolt, it seems like a person might have as much luck using the pliers tool.

* wuw.jpg (Filesize: 29.44 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:10:11 PM
I have used it and I find it better than the pliers on larger nuts, which is probably why Wenger included it.  The small folding pliers on any SAK is really limited to smaller jobs, but the wrench can handle much heftier bolts than most.  It's one of Wenger's really great innovations, and there is a distinct possibility that SOSAKOnline may see about having a special run of those done in the future.  Wenger initially offered us those as the Knife of the Year because it showcased so many of their innovative tools, and they are anxious to get them into as many hands as possible.  Unfortunately for Wenger, members seemed to prefer a less "tricked out" model.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:54 PM
I was hoping for the S557 model to win. I suppose its too late to demand a recount. By any chance did you obtain the SOSAKOnline voting software from Florida?   ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline RedRamage

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 01:32:11 PM
I would think you could get better leverage with the wrench than the pliers too.  I think when I save me up a little dough I'm gonna have to get me one of those models.  It really does look nice and would be a great showcase model for my second ever Wenger.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 01:33:44 PM
I was amazed- it was quite an upset.  The S557 was well in the lead with about 50% of the votes when I left on vacation, then I just looked at the numbers when I got back and didn't look at what models the numbers were attached to.  I just assumed that since the ratios of 50%, 25% and 25% were the same that the knives were also in the same positions.  It was Travis who pointed it out to me and I had to check it a few times to make certain I was seeing it right!

If we can meet the minimum order number for doing a run of S557's, which I don't think will be a big problem, we think it might be possible to squeeze in a special run in a few months.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 01:36:28 PM

Which reminds me, I'd better get my order in. Isn't today the deadline for the SOSAKOnline knife of the year?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 01:50:49 PM
Yesterday, but I am lazy and I probably won;t get around to taking it down until tomorrow or Monday.   :oops:

I like to give stragglers a little extra time... yeah, that's it....

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 06:40:52 PM
Looks like it works on the same principle as the McFeely's Pocket Wrench:

LINK
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 03:59:32 AM
I have the wrench on my ToolChest Plus.  It works ok.  Unfortunately I found the TC+ to be a little bulky for use.  At the time I bought it, it was the top of the line Wenger and the SwissChamp was the top for Vic.  The Vic is narrower and more hand friendly with about as many features.  The Vic also has a second blade which I like.

I would like to try one of the S557s and favored it for the SOSAK Knife.  Perhaps, as Def mentioned, we can work out a deal with Wenger in a few months.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 05:02:05 AM
The wrench works well on medium sized bolts. I've being EDCing the S552 for about a month. We just got new furniture at work and the wrench has come in handy a few times. You just have to remember that it only works in one direction.   ::)

Would it be possible to get Wenger to exchange the nail file for a small blade on a special run? I think that would make the knife about perfect.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 12:55:18 PM
The wrench works in one direction, but can be easily flipped over to go in the other!  It would be nice if they came up with a lock mechanism for it though.

It is very possible to get Wenger to change the tools, provided we order several hundred and are willing to pay more!   >:D

Def

Offline RedRamage

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 05:19:48 AM
The same kinda locking that the screwdriver on Wengers enployes would work, wouldn't it?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:38:48 AM
The same kinda locking that the screwdriver on Wengers enployes would work, wouldn't it?
I would imagine so, they'd just have to make the mechanism a bit wider i'd of thought :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 01:20:53 PM
It could work, but the screwdriver lock works because there is force pushing it in-line, while the wrench would need to be pushed into the bolt then turned to work.

On second thought, any locking mechanism would be prone to breakage/failure when subjected to the stress of turning a nasty bolt, so maybe it's better to force the user to turn the knife around and exert the pressure against the substantial backspring?

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 05:08:35 PM
On second thought, any locking mechanism would be prone to breakage/failure when subjected to the stress of turning a nasty bolt, so maybe it's better to force the user to turn the knife around and exert the pressure against the substantial backspring? Def

That was exactly my thought on this matter.

Probably better without a locking mechanism - just turn the knife over for reverse action.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 05:15:01 PM
I don't know if you are aware of this, but I believe that the Surgeon General has decreed that agreeing with me might be an early symptom of senility.   ;D

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 05:31:34 PM
I don't know if you are aware of this, but I believe that the Surgeon General has decreed that agreeing with me might be an early symptom of senility.   ;D

Def

Ooops...must have been one of my "senior moments."

In the future, I'll attempt to avoid agreement with you at all costs.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 05:36:55 PM
If you do I am certain many things in your life will start to fall into place!   ;D

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 01:32:15 AM
If you do I am certain many things in your life will start to fall into place!   ;D

Def

I disagree with that.   ;)

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 08:34:30 AM
Does the universal wrench work with metric? What sizes will it accommodate?

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD