Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool SPirit: The EDC Challenge!

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Swisstool SPirit: The EDC Challenge!
on: April 23, 2010, 01:17:00 AM
Ok My Swisstool Spirit got here and I am going to EDC this puppy for a while as a replacement for my Charge ALX, which is taking a brief vacation after a year and a half by my side. 
A box!

The Charge is here to help!

NO LIE: This box is tiny!!

Shiny (smudgy ::))

Some Comparisons

Initial Impression:
-The tool is smaller and heavier than I expected, which are both pluses.  A nice hefty well packed unit.
-Feels solid.  There is a little more flex in the plier handles than the charge, but look how much steel is in each and it is understandable.
-That phillips is a monster, and doesn't seem slippery in the least...
-A lot of new tools to me: Awl, chisel thing, scissors, are not on the Charge, so this should be interesting. (still going to rock the Micra though)

Expectations
-I will miss the OHO knife, but easy access to the rest of the tools doesn't matter.  I haven't run into a situation where I NEED THE FILE NOWWWW!!!!!, so I think having it a little harder to reach will be fine.  I am going to EDC the Gerber utility knife thing (EAB?) That should take care of my knife needs better than a regular knife (opening packages)
-I will feel guilty leaving a perfectly good and hard working charge at home.
-I'm going to miss the robertson bit: I use the bitdriver on the charge a lot and its about 80% Robertson bits and 20% Phillips.  Barely any slotted that a micra can't handle.  This was actually a big deal for me. Why can't more MT's have a robertson driver??? Canada needs their own MT. :cheers: so we'll see..

All in all I am very excited about this new tool and will post updates as I use it, and how it measures up to the Charge at my job (maintenance)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Re: Swisstool SPirit: The EDC Challenge!
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:47 AM
The Spirit has become my permanent EDC over the last couple months. Spirit S and a Cybertool 34 make for a pretty uber combo. I'm sure you'll get along with it quite nicely. Pick up a Swisstool plus kit wrench set and fill up the bit holder with Robertson bits and you should be all set.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:38:18 AM by thebullfrog »

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:41:38 AM
Wrench kit...
not a bad idea.  I wanted to get the Spirit X for the plain blade, but this one was much cheaper and like I said, a utility knife will serve me better than a folder or MT.

Another note, the file is tearing up my fingernail whenever i try to access the phillips bit.  Must be a secret to it.

Oh man, look at those fingerprints! I swear I wasn't stuffing my face with bacon and chips when I took those!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:43:53 AM by Charger »

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:54:00 AM
Lift the  phillips up from the side nearer the blade using the indentation of the phillips head as a nail nick.

I wanted the X too, but am quite happy with the S paired with my Cybertool.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:55:46 AM by thebullfrog »

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:18:17 AM
Ha ha! That works.  Scissors on my tool though, not blade.
Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:42:57 AM
ok i need to add one of these to my EDC...
'

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:22:52 AM
I run 1/4" hex bits in a Leatherman Universal Tool Adaptor in conjunction with the Spirit . Get the Snap On or Mac anti camout Phillips bits if you contemplate any serious philips stuff . I have never personally had any issues with the Philips on the Spirit , but I only use it very casually .

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:51:46 AM
Ha ha! That works.  Scissors on my tool though, not blade.
Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

:salute:

ok i need to add one of these to my EDC...

Yes. Yes you do.

I run 1/4" hex bits in a Leatherman Universal Tool Adaptor in conjunction with the Spirit . Get the Snap On or Mac anti camout Phillips bits if you contemplate any serious philips stuff . I have never personally had any issues with the Philips on the Spirit , but I only use it very casually .

Chris

I always forget that the LM adapter supposedly fits pretty well. Gotta try that one of these days. I've used the Phillips quite a bit, and very rarely has it been an issue. So long as you put some decent pressure on it 90% of the time it's been fine. Any time I have had a problem I just switch to the CT 34's driver. Another benefit of combining those two tools.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 02:27:34 PM
The CT and Spirit is a formidable combo .

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:35:31 PM
Yep, by far my favorite EDC of all time at this point. I need to work some Allen wrenches into the mix however. I was going to do the plus kit thing, but now you have me thinking about the LM adapter instead  :ahhh

The only EDC combo I want more at this point would require a SAK mod: A Spirit X with a CT Lite that's had it's scissors and opener layers removed. That would be near perfection right there, but for now the S/34 combo covers 90% of my needs with only some redundancy (I effing HATE tool duplication). Once I get some Allen wrench action it'll cover 98%.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:30 PM
Bullfrog , a Universal Tool Adapter and 1/4" hex bits should do it for you , you can get those puppies in just about any flavor you desire . They are available in all grades , and are a snap to replace .

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 04:12:31 PM
Yeah, I was actually just looking at the UTA a bit ago and thinking up ways of carrying it and a couple bits. I came up with an idea for keychain carry that may or may not work. How well does the odd shape of the Spirit hold onto the UTA though?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 05:39:51 PM
I just drop mine in my front pocket , lots of ways to carry bits . Zip lock bag , film can , change pocket of wallet etc . The UTA and a 1/4" hex will take a lot of torque , the UTA also works fairly well off tool . Good piece of kit !

Chris

Offline andre0407

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:17 PM
I want a Spirit so much too... just to see how it would measure up to the Swisstool.  :-\ And +1 for the UTA. I just got the chance to see it in action not long ago and it strikes me as how versatile it is.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:48:25 PM
The plan if I pick one up (probably will) is to use the hole to throw it on my keychain, then make a small bit holder (I have an idea) to go with it. That way I'll have a small keychain driver with me if for some reason I don't have my multi. Should add some nice versatility.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 07:21:34 PM
At work this morning, a co worker of mine had a whole pile of tools laid out that he was using to work on some electronic device or something.  I perused the tools, and mentally compared to the swisstool spirit.  Almost everything on those tools was in a little sheath on my belt!

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:46 AM
Day  1

-Loving the slimmer profile without feeling like I gave up tools
-haven't needed a robertson yet (working on getting some small thingy to use)
-got a gerber eab to take care of major cutting
-used the chisel TWICE
-I LOVE this tool :multi: :multi:

Leatherman created his tool to make up for the SAK's shortcomings, but boy did the swiss strike back!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 10:34:45 AM
The chisel is amazing isn't it? At this point it's the most used implement other than the Phillips for me.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 03:06:14 PM
I get a lot of use outta the chisel , great for slitting cable jackets , scraping etc . I also use the caplifter for light prying . The whole array suits me well . Hell , I don't even mind the scissors too much !

Chris

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:29 PM
Day 2
not over yet, but I was just out to the hardware store, and you can see a lot of worn in leatherman sheaths on some of the people who go there.  There are also usually tradesmen working at the lpace I do maintenance, doing some reno or other.  Point is, I see plenty of what appear to be waves, and a few ST's.

The thought occured to me, that if I whipped out my charge in that crowd, I would instantly gain respect (been there).  However, with a more elegant and less widespread tool such as the spirit, ignorance could prevail and I could have my tool dissed.  wait no that doesn't sound right....well yeah you know what i am trying to say.

Well that's ok, I have done a double take at a construction worker pulling out a wee little juice (not a dis on a juice, but I would have expected a bigger tool in that line of work), and scoffed to myself at different workers using gerbers (a suspension yet!).  Maybe we all do a little judging of other people's tools.

Anyone ever scoffs at the spirit, I will FORCE them to inspect it and appreciate the craftsmanship.  Anyone else ever run into a situation like this?

Ramblings of a multi philosopher

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 09:48:29 PM
Over the years I have broken the plier tips off the odd Chinese knock off , if the owner was dumb enuff to tell me I paid too much for mine . When I used to pack a charge , I would often whittle a flat spot on the edge of an offshore multi , then whittle it back to some sembelance of sharpness . You don't want to see what I do if someone disses my Kline Needle noses or Linesman's pliers , on one particular occaision I destroyed several pliers from a $ 19.95 assortment .

I have sent would be apprentices and helpers home for showing up with totally hopeless gear . To be fair , more than a few times , I've taken them to a supplier and bought them a few good basic hand tools ( depends on the attitude displayed ) .

Chris

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 10:52:51 PM
Over the years I have broken the plier tips off the odd Chinese knock off , if the owner was dumb enuff to tell me I paid too much for mine . When I used to pack a charge , I would often whittle a flat spot on the edge of an offshore multi , then whittle it back to some sembelance of sharpness . You don't want to see what I do if someone disses my Kline Needle noses or Linesman's pliers , on one particular occaision I destroyed several pliers from a $ 19.95 assortment .

I have sent would be apprentices and helpers home for showing up with totally hopeless gear . To be fair , more than a few times , I've taken them to a supplier and bought them a few good basic hand tools ( depends on the attitude displayed ) .

Chris

*slow clap*

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:39 AM
I've had it a few times when I've pulled out my multi and people say " Is that a real Leatherman ? ". But I've also had someone call my Wave a Swiss Army gadget so you'll never win either way lol

Dunc

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 08:49:39 AM
Yep you can't always win. None of our little team that went to the gunshow in February had thought to bring tools, yet they took the pee out of my Spirit  ::) But if I hadn't had  it with me a lot of stuff wouldn't have got assembled, and more importantly taken down afterwards. We'd still be there  :rofl:
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 10:00:56 AM
Yep you can't always win. None of our little team that went to the gunshow in February had thought to bring tools, yet they took the pee out of my Spirit  ::) But if I hadn't had  it with me a lot of stuff wouldn't have got assembled, and more importantly taken down afterwards. We'd still be there  :rofl:

They only took the pee because they were jealous and didn't think to bring something themselves  :D

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 01:41:15 PM
The closest I've come to having my Spirit criticized, is I always get "is that a Leatherman?". My response is "No, it's better" lol. It always gets me funny looks, sometimes of confusion, sometimes it's more like "yeah, right" but so far nobody has said anything. I don't necessarily think the Swisstool/ Spirit is better than LM (just better for me these days), but I find that answer shuts people up the fastest. Especially when I start pulling out Chisels and stuff that they don't even have, from the outside of the tool. I have gotten the whole, "I hate how you can't get the kinfe out with one hand, so LM is still better" thing, but then I just pull out a dedicated folder and ask"if you really actually ever needed your knife that fast would you rather have that little thing or a real knife?" to make that point. Keep in mind it's always the mall ninja types that take the conversation this direction, so the sight of my SOG Vulcan getting whipped out at light speed tends to make the point very nicely.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:34 PM
Day 7?
Well yesterday and today I have been at all day meeting workshops (ugh, sitting ALL day!) No use for the poor tool :(
I had to get a robertson from the shop the other day...bummer.  This is a tough one for me.  I love the fit and finish and feel and heft and size and quality and shinity of this thing, but I really need to find a solution to my robertson predicament.  If they swapped out the 2mm slotted for one...actually I used the 2mm the other day for some electronics work. 

I love this tool!

Hmm, I should be able to save the day with it tomorrow when I go back to work.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:08 AM
The Spirit works well with the Leatherman Universal tool adaptor and 1/4" hex bits . I use the Snap On or Mac #1 and 2 Phillips anticamout bit quite a bit , will outperform any other multitool Phillips any day . This will al;so solve you Robertson and Torox problems .

Chris

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:19 AM
do you have pics of a spirit with the UTA?

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 12:59:35 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD