Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The great SOG show-off thread.

AHB · 249 · 95922

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Re: The great SOG show-off thread.
Reply #180 on: September 19, 2018, 05:15:45 AM
Paladin PT-540 Power Play.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #181 on: October 05, 2018, 02:01:55 PM
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #182 on: October 05, 2018, 04:05:26 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #183 on: October 05, 2018, 06:07:04 PM
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:09:15 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #184 on: October 06, 2018, 04:06:42 PM

:cheers:
Cutting some salami from Mercadona

that Mercadona music does get into your head when buying there... :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #185 on: October 29, 2018, 01:18:50 AM
My SOG, and ZT together:

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #186 on: May 02, 2019, 06:31:46 AM
Got my hands of two new SOGs. The OG USA PowerAssist EOD S67N-CP w/C-4 spike/drill and Transitional PowerAssist. New collection tools.  :)

Photos with the OG USA PowerAssist EOD, Transitional PowerAssist(could be US or China, but the quality is high), and my Later model PowerAssist(quality not quite as good, made in China, but still a fine tool).

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #187 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:41 AM
The PowerAssists with the PowerLocks, PowerPliers and BlackTip.  :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline JonesE

Reply #188 on: May 22, 2019, 05:12:49 AM
Never really looked at SOG before and was recently introduced to the PPP. Decided to pick one up and am really impresses. Now wish I would have known about them sooner.

JonesE

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #189 on: May 22, 2019, 05:14:13 AM
Congrats, JonesE! :like:

One of the best slim designs out there for sure. :)

us Offline JonesE

Reply #190 on: May 22, 2019, 05:16:07 AM
Thanks gerleatherberman!

JonesE

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #191 on: May 22, 2019, 06:43:34 AM

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #192 on: June 12, 2019, 04:45:42 AM
Never really looked at SOG before and was recently introduced to the PPP. Decided to pick one up and am really impresses. Now wish I would have known about them sooner.

JonesE

The only real descendent of the venerable PST.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #193 on: June 12, 2019, 07:10:01 AM
Latest addition for this show-off thread.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #194 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:42 PM
Need some help here GLBM.

Got this too today!  :woohoo:

SOG’s are not my speciality, although I have a few. This is my first Power Plier. Never used and needs a good clean after sitting in a box for I don’t know how many years. Hoping you could shed some light on which version, age, etc?

These things have tons of tools...they just keep folding out, and folding out...just amazing!

I know you have a few  :facepalm:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #195 on: June 13, 2019, 11:17:56 PM
Need some help here GLBM.

Got this too today!  :woohoo:

SOG’s are not my speciality, although I have a few. This is my first Power Plier. Never used and needs a good clean after sitting in a box for I don’t know how many years. Hoping you could shed some light on which version, age, etc?

These things have tons of tools...they just keep folding out, and folding out...just amazing!

I know you have a few  :facepalm:
Fantastic find, Max! :like:

Version 1. Which has the coolest pliers head ever crammed into a multitool.  :)

Age is an issue. Nobody here, as far as I know, has definitively discovered the true release date of the PP and even SOG doesn't have the old records anymore.
That said, general consensus is early to mid 1990s at the latest. I lean towards 1994 myself, but that is just an unverified hunch.

Perhaps you could,, if you find the time, use your outstanding research skills to obtain an exact release date, Max? :pok: :dunno: :salute:

Edit:
Photos left to right: V.3(regular NN - polished and small bolt section), V.2(blunt nose with mid-size bolt section - polished), V.1(blunt nose with large bolt section - unpolished).

See the extra little hole on the edges of the handles? That was only on the V.1, and V.2 and V.3 had the ring on the pivot.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:24:31 PM by gerleatherberman »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #196 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:34 PM
Thanks GLBM  :hatsoff:

Done already...  :pok:

SOG filed three patents between 1993 and 1996 that were refined and re-submitted due to not being unique enough. The patent that they eventually succeeded with (US5809599A) was filed on Dec 1996 and awarded in Sept 1998, titled Compound pliers tool with linked handles.

SOG stamped Pat Pen on their PP, which they would not have been allowed to do before filing...which would have been linked to the first filing on Nov. 29, 1993.

So given production ramp-up, your hunch of 1994 would be correct. This would be the earliest production models of the PowerPlier with the Pat Pen stamp. I’m assuming none exist without this stamp.

The patent document show the compound design nicely. If you want some interesting reading (incl references to Leatherman’s patent and others), here’s the link to the patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US5809599A/en

Delighted I have a version 1 and it’s mint. Still amazed that they crammed 6 tools into each handle!  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #197 on: June 14, 2019, 02:22:09 AM
Thanks GLBM  :hatsoff:

Done already...  :pok:

SOG filed three patents between 1993 and 1996 that were refined and re-submitted due to not being unique enough. The patent that they eventually succeeded with (US5809599A) was filed on Dec 1996 and awarded in Sept 1998, titled Compound pliers tool with linked handles.

SOG stamped Pat Pen on their PP, which they would not have been allowed to do before filing...which would have been linked to the first filing on Nov. 29, 1993.

So given production ramp-up, your hunch of 1994 would be correct. This would be the earliest production models of the PowerPlier with the Pat Pen stamp. I’m assuming none exist without this stamp.

The patent document show the compound design nicely. If you want some interesting reading (incl references to Leatherman’s patent and others), here’s the link to the patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US5809599A/en

Delighted I have a version 1 and it’s mint. Still amazed that they crammed 6 tools into each handle!  :cheers:
Nice work, Max! :salute:

Will go read about that in a bit. Thank you!  :)

The tool density is great indeed! And the whole hand-finished look and feel of the PowerPlier is quite special.  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #198 on: June 14, 2019, 07:42:41 PM
Happened to be giving my Pocket PowerPlier a clean and comparison to its bigger brother, and noticed the patent number is stamped on the side, placing manufacture on or after 1998...I wonder if any PPPs have Pat Pen stamped?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #199 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:32 PM
Happened to be giving my Pocket PowerPlier a clean and comparison to its bigger brother, and noticed the patent number is stamped on the side, placing manufacture on or after 1998...I wonder if any PPPs have Pat Pen stamped?
I have a post about the three PPPs in the collection. One does indeed have Pat. Pend. on it, with Edmonds, Wa. instead of Lynnwood - like the PowerPlier.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,28749.msg1838811.html#msg1838811

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #200 on: June 14, 2019, 11:43:14 PM
Ok good info GLBM.  :hatsoff: So production of the PPP probably started around 1996 with a production run 20+ years which is impressive indeed.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #201 on: June 15, 2019, 01:50:39 AM
Ok good info GLBM.  :hatsoff: So production of the PPP probably started around 1996 with a production run 20+ years which is impressive indeed.
Thank you for the information and the work you have done to answer some lingering questions!
Impressive indeed!
SOG's older models weren't as refined as LM, Vic and Gerber. But, all in all, they seem to me like the most "working man's tool" MT. The PowerLock, PowerPlier and PPP are some of my favorite tools to handle. Glad to see a fellow MT enthusiast enjoying some of that former SOG glory. :salute:

Sadly though, last minute cost cutting on their newer tools has nearly driven SOG into the toilet bowl. :-[

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #202 on: June 15, 2019, 03:51:49 AM
One more patent oddity. Most of the early PowerLocks have "Patent 5809599" stamped underneath "SOG PowerLock".

I have one PowerLock with just "Patent". No Pend. or Patent number.

The prime differences(other than the patent thing) between it and most older PowerLocks are the pliers, saw and SE blade. The no patent number pliers have the small crimper only and have a sharper grind polish instead of the high polish of most early PowerLocks. The older saw is fine cut(& shorter with a more curved profile) while the normal saw is aggressive cut(& longer). SE blade has a different serration pattern as well.

Pics. Left is no patent nunber version and the right is the patented version.

Non-patent numbered.

Patent numbered.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:20:31 AM by gerleatherberman »

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #203 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:01 AM
Good info GLBM and fun playing detective.

I can imagine the marketing guy saying to the production guy “we must put our patent number on the tool!” and the production guy saying “but we keep getting our filings rejected so we don’t know what the patent number could be!”

So I suspect that the one with just Patent stamped is probably towards the end of their patent submission efforts, when they were confident their patent application would succeed, so around 1996.

These stamp tools would have been expensive to make and outsourced, so it may even have had a number that they had to file down?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #204 on: June 15, 2019, 03:15:33 PM
Good info GLBM and fun playing detective.

I can imagine the marketing guy saying to the production guy “we must put our patent number on the tool!” and the production guy saying “but we keep getting our filings rejected so we don’t know what the patent number could be!”

So I suspect that the one with just Patent stamped is probably towards the end of their patent submission efforts, when they were confident their patent application would succeed, so around 1996.

These stamp tools would have been expensive to make and outsourced, so it may even have had a number that they had to file down?
Thank you for the good work, Max! :salute:

The PL with just Patent on it looks to be have been produced that way, and not changed later. The pliers head has USA cast in at the pivot base(which I should have pictured, but my brain is scattered). Perhaps they made a batch where they said "well, we don't know the Pat. #, so we'll leave a place to engrave it later." Then nobody bothered to ever change it. Maybe it was an early demo tool or prototype? :think:

When buying it, I almost couldn't believe it. A mint OG PowerLock without a patent....odd. Hit the buy it now button pretty fast. :rofl:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #205 on: June 15, 2019, 04:34:49 PM
I probably wasn’t clear on the stamp. What I was getting at is that the tool SOG used to stamp the logo and patent wording may have been modified on the one with only ‘Patent’ stamped without the number. These stamps would have been outsourced with probably a long lead time, so SOG may have simply filed off the number...just an idea to explain why they had the word ‘Patent’. And it does seem to be in the same place as the later stamp that they would have had tooled up when the final filing was awarded. I’m guessing it is a stamp though (like mine) and not a tungsten point engraving method of marking, which could have been just a CNC program adjustment...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #206 on: June 15, 2019, 06:42:31 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Max! :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #207 on: June 15, 2019, 09:19:46 PM
And just for a little more fun, here’s a closeup of the earlier logo design when SOG was based in Edmonds (on the PP) before they moved down the road to Lynnwood and settled on the newer angular logo.  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #208 on: June 15, 2019, 11:51:48 PM
And just for a little more fun, here’s a closeup of the earlier logo design when SOG was based in Edmonds (on the PP) before they moved down the road to Lynnwood and settled on the newer angular logo.  :salute:
Cool! :like:
If it would help, I can take some more close up photos of each generation version of the older SOGs. I think there are a couple(or more) of angular insignia styles if memory is correct.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #209 on: June 16, 2019, 10:20:49 AM
Definitely will help GLBM. I cannot find any reference to SOG moving premises, I’m guessing it was a capacity issue sometime in the mid-90’s as they were still a young company at the time. Tracking across a few of the models from that timeframe will help, also to put the logo into a timeframe.

The PP I got came with a great colour fold-out brochure stuffed inside, so I also plan to scan this for reference. Lists all their MTs on one side and knives on the reverse. Address as Lynnwood on of brochure, so presumably they had inventory they updated after the move, or may have been added by the distributor later.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%