Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock build advice

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Powerlock build advice
on: April 28, 2010, 07:02:25 PM
So I'm sitting here thinking about my EDC and how nearly perfect it is for me, but there's some unnecessary redundancy and gaps. Every way I try and figure out how to dial it in, I wind up looking at having to get a modded SAK. I never thought to replace my Spirit S as I love the thing too damn much. Unless I replaced it with a Spirit X. This morning I had an "oh duh" moment and realized I could just build a Powerlock loadout to compliment my CT 34. Since I'm starting a new job next week and want to celebrate with a new toy I figure it might be fun to try out something new. Here's the list of components I do/do not want/need.

do NOT want:
Blade
Scissors
Can opener
Bottle opener
the rest of my EDC (CT 34, Vic Sentinel on my keys) has all these covered.

DO need
Saw
File
as I use these a lot and are lacking from the rest of the EDC

WANT:
V-cutter
Wire stripper
1/4" drive
could be very useful items to have around. The drive might allow for a nice way to solve my need for Allen keys if I add in the bit adapter and some bits to some sort of pocket carry case (open to ideas about carry options here)

Now unless I'm missing something I can make the V-cutter, File, Saw, Wire Strippers, and 1/4" drive all fit fine, but I'm not sure how many slots this leaves me to fill in each handle. The Phillips would be nice, but I don't need it since I do most of my screw turning with the CT anyway. Same goes for the large flathead. On that note however, the biggest thing I would miss (aside from the outside opening tools) from the Spirit would be the Chisel. Pretty sure it would be simple to grind the flathead into an effective enough chisel so that's a possibility.

Anywho: what I need is some of your thoughts/advice about this build. With the V-cutter, Saw, Strippers, File, and Drive installed, which and how many slots would that leave me and what could/should I fill them with?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Powerlock build advice
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:09 PM
how many slots would that leave me and what could/should I fill them with?
Maybe this could help a bit: Click.  :)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:15:57 PM
on the powerlock there is room for 4 big things (2 in each handle) so V-cutter, File, Saw, Wire Strippers (all big) is not a problem they will take up all the outer slots, and the 1/4" drive can go where ever

Everything eles (but the Can opener and Bottle opener they don't fit in the inner most slots) can fill the 6 other spots so you might as well go for the Phillips large flathead to take up some of the space ;)

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:18:23 PM
So first off the PowerLock has 2x6 slots. Here's what you could do:

Wire stripper                       Saw
                                        _______
1/4" Drive                           Phillips
                                        _______                
Chisel (Made from flathead)   Flathead
V-cutter                            File

That leaves 2 slots left. You could put in an awl or a Robertson Drive.

For more information http://sogknives.com/store/knife-tool-care.html#tool5

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:19:51 PM
Just get a regular Spirit... ::) Its blade is partially serrated and a different shape than the CT one so it's not redundant, and the bottle opener doubles as a prybar of sorts so that's ok as well. You only get duplication in the scissors and can opener, but the former is also a different beast than the regular Vic scissors (and seems more heavy-duty), which only leaves it down to the can opener. Fine by me... :tu: :D

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:22:47 PM
You should start with a S62. All you would need to buy would be the wirestrippers and another flathead.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:39:33 PM
Just get a regular Spirit... ::) Its blade is partially serrated and a different shape than the CT one so it's not redundant, and the bottle opener doubles as a prybar of sorts so that's ok as well. You only get duplication in the scissors and can opener, but the former is also a different beast than the regular Vic scissors (and seems more heavy-duty), which only leaves it down to the can opener. Fine by me... :tu: :D
As much as I'd love another Spirit, I mostly just wanna try out something new with this build, other wise that was the plan Nikos.

Maybe this could help a bit: Click.  :)

THAT'S where they moved that chart to, thank you, I couldn't find the thing this morning.

You should start with a S62. All you would need to buy would be the wirestrippers and another flathead.

The S62 was my intended starting point. Also I still have most of my BO components from my old "1.0" Powerlock I broke, so I do have some extras to play around with as well. On that note, do the older handle covers fit the 2.0? It might look kinda cool to have the black covers on the polished tool. And maybe alternate between black and polished tools for cosmetic fun lol.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:41:20 PM by thebullfrog »

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:40 PM
Well, I just pulled the trigger. Ordered an S63 since I figure I may as well have the extra crimpers. I mean, why not, right? lol I also ordered a set of wire strippers from SOG. Hopefully the experiment works out. I decided that for now I'm going to replace the blade and bottle opener with the wire strippers, then move the bottle opener to the other handle in place of the can opener. This way I'll only have the bottle opener be redundant (suppose I technically could grind that part off if I really wanted though, but not worth it) and I'll have two flathead options. I'll also still be able to retain one flathead if I  decide to go ahead and mod the other into a chisel.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%