Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Warranty

Guest · 17 · 3942

platform389

Leatherman Warranty
on: August 02, 2007, 08:06:00 PM
OK, time for the first post here.  Search revealed several threads about this, but clicking the links only got a 404 response.  :-[

Back on June 25th, I sent a 1st generation Wave back for warranty issues.  Specifically, one of the friction springs in the handle had broken, allowing the handle to swing freely. :ahhh

As of this post, nothing has been heard from LM concerning this.  What has the been other's experience with warranty work turnaround times.

Thanks! 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman Warranty
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:30:00 PM
Interesting.  I have a contact at Leatherman- if you could email me your personal information (name, address, etc) at grant.lamontagne@gmail.com I would be happy to try and find out some information for you.

Did you send the tool in insured?  Leatherman suggests that you do in case it goes missing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:52:11 PM
I got a message from my contact at Leatherman, and she informs me that the Warranty and Repair department is somewhat backed up at the moment, but is working hard to beat the backlog.

She understands your frustration, and asks that if you could please send me your information (as I asked above) she will be happy to see if she can find out the status of your tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:25:17 PM
Wow!  Now that's just one of the great things about this place. :cheers:  I guess the other is spending most (or all) of a paycheck on more multis.  :pok:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:35:13 AM
Yup it may take a while; when my Wave was in for repairs I was told there was a backlog.  It took about 2 months if I remember correctly, but I got a "new" old Wave...the only way I can tell it was odd was one of the Torx screws was a 6 lobe, and the rest were 5.  Absolutely no scratches or dents on it.  Worth the wait I'd say.

I received it UPS Ground without any prior notice...it just showed up one day ;D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 04:42:34 PM
Here's a couple of threads I started about my experiences with Leatherman's Canadian repair depot.  They are a very good company to deal with and I don't hesitate to discuss any issues with them.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,708.0.html

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:33:46 PM
Hey guys.  I just emailed Platform 389 some info on his tool specifically that was sent to me from Leatherman, but there's a little more general interest stuff that I figured I'd share with everyone.

If anyone would like info on their warranty repair, they can call (800) 847-8665 and ask for the warranty department.  Once in there, press option 6.

OR, you can check out the website.  All of it is on www.leatherman.com and click on Customer Service for any available information.

Def

Offline AJ

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:18 AM
2 months

Wow!
I think that is to dam long myself.

The couple I have sent in over the years only took two weeks and I had a new one back.

Why 2 months? You know all they do is drop a new on in the mail to you after they get your old one in.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:42:16 AM
2 months

Wow!
I think that is to dam long myself.

The couple I have sent in over the years only took two weeks and I had a new one back.

Why 2 months? You know all they do is drop a new on in the mail to you after they get your old one in.

Maybe it was about 6 weeks...I remember emailing them about once a week to check in on it for about three weeks, then when it hit repairs I didn't email anymore...a few weeks later I got it UPS Ground.  I am across the country from them, so that tacks on a week to get there and a week back to me..
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:15:34 AM
Like any other business out there Leatherman can get behind.  They still do a great job considering what it costs you as well!  :pok:

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 03:26:49 AM
I'm not complaining, all of us here have more than one multi to carry so missing one for a while isn't a big deal :multi:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 03:36:31 AM
Hell most of use would send stuff in to have an excuse to buy another one!   ;D

Def

platform389

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 03:31:33 AM
Hi everyone!

Back for a final post to this thread because a package from Leatherman arrived today.

Brand new current generation Wave and nylon sheath inside! :)

Your Fearless Leader wields a big stick!  Interesting how LM responded just as soon as he inquired for me and sent a brand new tool. 

Many, many thanks for the kind assistance to a search engine newbie that wandered in and made himself at home.

Will lurk around here some.  Kinda like the looks of the SOG tools, may have to add one to the lineup!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 03:40:23 AM
Glad to hear that it worked out fine!  And as much as I'd love to take credit for getting Leatherman in gear for you, I think they are on the level.  I've got no pull there, but my ego sure wishes I did!

Stick around though.  As you've seen, we have a pretty good community here and I'd bet you'd fit in nicely!

Def

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 10:55:54 AM
Will Leatherman honor the warranty if we failed to register our tool or knife?

When I got my first Leatherman, a Supertool, I immediately register it in the LM website. However, I failed to register my S4, P4, Kick and the latest my Wave. Do they honor late registrstion?

I have no problem with my tools now, but I just want to know if they will honor the warranty of unregistered tools.

Thank you.

Edap

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 11:01:24 AM
I've never registered any of my tools and have had two different Leatherman's repaired under warranty. Seems like it isn't an issue since Leatherman doesn't require proof of purchase or original ownership.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 11:43:00 AM
I've never registered any of my tools and have had two different Leatherman's repaired under warranty. Seems like it isn't an issue since Leatherman doesn't require proof of purchase or original ownership.

Thank you so much for your immediate reply. I feel secure now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%