Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge AL anodised handles

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Charge AL anodised handles
on: August 23, 2007, 09:44:07 AM
I've read some questions about how durable the anodized handles on the new Charge models are. Thought some of you guys would find this interesting. I found these the other day while cleaning it. I've carried the AL everyday since I got it on March 9th and found these marks worn down to the aluminum where the handles rub when opening the pliers. No big deal right?

* Picture 2221 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 22.37 KB)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:17:04 AM by prime77 »
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Charge AL anodised handles
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:09:35 PM
Marks like that on a "Working Tool" are what I like to refer to as "Character Marks."  They show that a tool is being used, and is a solid, reliable tool that doesn't lead a mamby pamby existence on the shelf somewhere. 

And, being aluminum, the anodizing is really decorative more than anything else.  It's not there to protect a carbon steel from rusting, so other than aesthetics, it isn't really posing any threat to the tool.

Wear 'em in good health!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:45:26 AM
We use black hard-coat anodizing at the shop where I work. Even though the material underneath is soft aluminum, the black surface coating is so hard that it cannot be scratched with a file! (Think about that for a sec) Based on that experience, I did not believe the black handles on the new AL or ALX would ever scratch through. However, I never considered the locations you show on your Charge prime, where one hard-coated surface is rubbing directly onto another hard-coated surface.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:15:55 PM

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:59:18 PM
Usually as long as you avoid damaging the metal underneath by dropping it on concrete or any other impact that alters the top finish the anodizing should stay their forever. I have an Inova flashlight that is hard anodized that I carried in my pocket with keys/lighters/knives for two years and the finish is still 100% with no bare spots at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Type_III_Hardcoat_Anodizing

It does appear that the scales rubbing together has worn away the anodizing, an interesting observation since the only places I usually see hard anodizing is on flashlights that generally do not have a lot of parts movement.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:16:17 AM
Hard black anodize against hard black anodize was bound to rub through eventually.  :(

Seems like the whole issue could have been avoided rather easily, simply by making the black handle scales slightly SMALLER than the profile of the stainless U-channel. That way, only the U-channel edges would have touched, not the black handle scales. By never touching each other, they would never rub through.

* index.jpg (Filesize: 47.88 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%