Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Tale of two Camo Gerber’s.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A Tale of two Camo Gerber’s.
on: July 16, 2010, 05:06:46 PM
I just received an MP 600 Pro Scout in camo. Seeing that I already had a Diesel in camo as well…the comparison was inevitable.

The MP 600, judging by the timeline thread in the general MT section, was first introduced back in 1998. In this article, I will compare it to the Diesel camo which was introduced back in 2005. Both tools are still available from Gerber. Seeing that both these tools show family traits that are more than skin deep, what exactly differentiates them from each other, and why I think the Diesel is a more modern, and superior tool to its older brethren?

I will make no bones about it, when I think of Gerber, I always think of the sliding plier design. When I think of that design, two models come to mind quite readily…the Muli-Plier 400 and 600, or MP400 and 600 in short. To me the MP400 and 600 are the quintessential  Gerber multi-tool. So I do hold a high opinion of the MP600 model in this short mini review. However, and I must say this, the Diesel has changed my opinions somewhat.  I think you will find both a study in contrast, similarities, and compromise.

The MP600 Pro Scout is said to be their higher end MP600 model, or so the Gerber advertisements and a few retailer descriptions state. The Pro Scout has a removable saw that the regular MP 600 does not have. Now, Gerber has several models with a removable saw. Most if not all of these models are considered their higher end models, such as the Gerber 800, and the military focused MP600 D.E.T. Another major difference between the Pro Scout and the other MP600 models, the inclusion of a very nice pair of Fiskars scissors is a welcome addition to an already great tool.

The Diesel also features a great pair of scissors. These scissors are a bit better shaped in my opinion with a cutting surface that appears to be almost twice the length of the Pro Scouts. With that said, the spring action is smoother on the older MP 600’s two piece design as opposed to the Diesel’s integrated one pierce spring. The extra force required to push down on the Diesel’s scissors also makes them uncomfortable for long term use. I know, this is a minor criticism, but I did find my thumb starting to develop a pressure sensitivity from the Diesel scissors within 20 minutes of usage. Now both scissors have about the same small surface area, but that stiffer spring made the difference. Your millage may vary.

The Pro Scout sports an honest to goodness 3D Phillips head.  The Diesel, the infamous 2D flat Phillips head. After using them both on a variety of Phillips screws, the 3D is far better than the 2D. However, the Phillips driver on the Diesel had a bit more reach, but was tempered by the thicker shaft. This means that although the 3D Phillips worked better, it was shorter by about 1 cm. The 2D Phillips was longer, but also wider in one plane, negating any possible advantages in certain circumstances. I know I would take the 3D over the 2D at half the length any day. Either way, both work. Just the Pro Scout's Phillips works better.

Being a newer tool, Gerber did make some general improvements over the older Pro Lock in 4 main sections. The plier head is beefed up, but also has a thinner needle nose tip which should allow for more delicate work. The locking buttons on the Diesel’s handle are just more ergonomic over the round pin buttons found on the Pro Lock. The tool locking tabs are easier to use on the Diesel due to the ribbing which gives you more grip, and also, less travel to disengage the locking mechanism…a plus for the daily user. The biggest improvement to me is the ergonomics of the tool when fully deployed. Now, both tool’s handles splay open when you slide the plier head out. However, the Diesel just opens that much wider. This is important because you can pinch yourself a little if you are not careful while using the Pro lock. The Diesel is simply a no pinch tool and this is due to the improved plier head opening mechanism.

Another thing of note, the older Pro Scout rattles a little when shaken. The newer Diesel seems to have fixed that issue. I have noticed that the older the Gerber, the more it rattles.

So what we have here are two of Gerber's top multi tools based around what I think makes a Gerber a Gerber. If you haven’t tried one of these sliding plier head designs, I think you are missing out. The big advantage is the gravity opening one handed opening technique. Simply press both buttons with one hand, and let gravity do the rest…or shake it a little to speed it up.  The compromise of this however, is the increased room this design takes in the handles, directly translating into less tool storage…which leads into another Gerber family trait of smaller secondary folding tools. This is just a fact of life, and like all multi-tools, they are a study in compromise.  Gerber’s are no different than anyone else.  Personally, I like the sliding head design, that I am willing to have shorter secondary tools. But once again, everyone’s mileage will vary

(Gerber Diesel on the left, MP600 Pro Scout on the right. I find it interesting that on the camo Pro Scout, the decided to black oxide treat the plier head…but not the tools. For the Diesel…BO? What is BO, and why do I need it?)

(Note the improved ergonomics on the newer designed Diesel over its older brethren on the right.)

(Surprisingly, the older Pro scout has the longer reach…by a hair, but is trumped by the better design of the newer plier head of the Diesel. Note that both do not feature removable carbide cutters.)

(The Pro Scout is on the top, and the Diesel on the bottom. Note that the files on the Pro Scout is a bit easier to take out due to the cut out. They eliminated this from the newer Diesel…possibly in a bid to make the tool more durable…I have no idea.)

(The Pro Scout has that removable saw blade that is a very handy feature You can add whatever metal/wood/whatever blade that will fit there. The Diesel doesn’t, and you’re stuck with that wood saw only. Also note the cut outs on the blade of the Pro Scout. I find this makes the Pro Scout tools a bit more easily accessible in use.)

(Comparison between the scissors of the Pro Scout on the right, and the Diesel on the left.)

(Body construction is surprisingly similar. Note the thinner pliers on the Diesel on the left, and the thicker Pro Scout pliers on the right. Not a big difference, but noticeable for delicate work.)

Well there you have it. A comparison between two similar looking tools with minor differences, improvements, and compromises that give each a bit of a different character. Either are excellent tools, and I think if you don’t have at least one tool of this design, you really should get one just to see what its all about. If you were to select between the two, both are equally capable. I would have to give the nod to the minor overall improvements evinced in the Diesel. However, that removable saw and all the capabilities it opens up is an important considerations. I feel you can’t go wrong with either…camo notwithstanding. :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:51:46 PM by AHB »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: A Tale of two Camo Gerber’s.
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:33:53 PM
Chako, slight edit to your writeup "The Diesel also sports an honest to goodness 3D Phillips head."  -  The Diesel has the 2d phillips. :tu:
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 05:40:53 PM
I love it when I get all mixed up. Thanks for the  :pok:. I had caught it about the same time that you mentioned it.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:50:39 PM
well then while we're at it, you called your tool a Pro Lock near the end :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:01:06 PM
Geez I wonder if I should write anymore pieces. Clearly my mind was on other things.  :think:

Well I can't fix it now...my time is up.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13:54 PM
Please keep writing these! I'm sorry buddy! :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:10:29 AM by Charger »

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:53:02 PM
Well I can't fix it now...my time is up.
Fixed..  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 12:43:22 AM
Oh no need to apologize. I just kick myself for not catching the obvious errors before I hit that post button. I appreciate the fixing. Thank you.

us Offline ACHË

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 05:58:35 AM
Another awesome comparison!

I was comparing my plain Diesel to one of the 600's just the other day!

I remember thinking to myself that the Pro Scout might make a better candidate for a comparison.

If the Diesel switched the blade design to something more like the oldest of the 600's, where they used the nice curved clip blade instead of the reverse tanto blade and they added the removable carbide cutters... They'd be so much nicer...

Oh yeah... and Ax the dumb 2D driver...
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69