Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Good EDC Fixie

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Good EDC Fixie
on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:24 PM
I'm looking for a good EDC knife. I was going to buy a folder (I was pretty much sold on the SOG Aegis), but I've been thinking I want a fixed blade. I do a fair bit of hiking/camping/outdoorsy stuff so it would be nice to not need to buy a folder for EDC and a fixie for those. I was considering a Becker Necker but many people have said they don't really like them. I'm trying to keep it under 100 bucks. So far I'm thinking maybe ESEE-3? I was sort of considering the Gerber Basic but it looks kinda...I don't know, crappy. :shrug: Thanks guys

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Good EDC Fixie
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:10 PM
All the EDC fixed blade I've seen are tiny, even smaller than becker necker (which I dislike because of the small handle), anything large enough to be comfortable is going to be way too big for EDC (in town anyway).

Get a folder and a mora, you can have a aegis and still under $100. My most used fixed blade is one, while other big boys sits in a box. If you don't like Mora's look and willing to bump your price up $10, you can get aegis and a Ontario marine combat.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:57:10 PM by jzmtl »

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:34 PM
I'm looking for a good EDC knife. I was going to buy a folder (I was pretty much sold on the SOG Aegis), but I've been thinking I want a fixed blade. I do a fair bit of hiking/camping/outdoorsy stuff so it would be nice to not need to buy a folder for EDC and a fixie for those. I was considering a Becker Necker but many people have said they don't really like them. I'm trying to keep it under 100 bucks. So far I'm thinking maybe ESEE-3? I was sort of considering the Gerber Basic but it looks kinda...I don't know, crappy. :shrug: Thanks guys

You talking about the Esee Rat-3?  I love mine, but not quite sure if I'd consider it an EDC...?  Its great for camping/hiking though!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:55 PM
All the EDC fixed blade I've seen are tiny, even smaller than becker necker (which I dislike because of the small handle), anything large enough to be comfortable is going to be way too big for EDC (in town anyway).

Get a folder and a mora, you can have a aegis and still under $100. My most used fixed blade is one, while other big boys sits in a box. If you don't like Mora's look and willing to bump your price up $10, you can get aegis and a Ontario marine combat.
Not even the CRKT Razel?
I don't really like the look of a Mora, something about the massive handle and no hand guard puts me off, the Ontario marine combat looks way too... combatish. plus the tip is gonna snap off if/when i go to baton anything.

You talking about the Esee Rat-3?  I love mine, but not quite sure if I'd consider it an EDC...?  Its great for camping/hiking though!

Really? It's only 3.5 inches... Yeah, I would love to buy one for outdoors but at 100 dollars I won't be able to afford a flashlight or that new HD camera I've been wanted to get for the videos...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:11:52 PM by markn951 »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:41 PM
Razel with sheath is almost 7", where are you going to wear it without being too obvious?

Offline sappyg

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:12:41 PM
rock river makes a nice looking small fixed blade necker knife. offered in two different sizes too.

personally i would start with a folder. then go to a fixed blade.

i

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:40 PM
Razel with sheath is almost 7", where are you going to wear it without being too obvious?

Er, pocket? I'm just throwing out ideas here. I suppose it would be pretty useless outdoors, too, although it probably would suit me better at work (I work as a stock boy so I cut cardboard, tape, etc every day.)

Maybe I just need to be patient, wait for a couple paychecks and then buy both.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:15:52 PM
rock river makes a nice looking small fixed blade necker knife. offered in two different sizes too.

My concern with neck knives is that they can be uncomfortable. They sacrifice comfort and length for lightness and skininess

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:21 PM
Take a 7"x2" piece of wood or anything that doesn't bend, keep it in your pocket for a day and see if it's comfortable, it's not for me.

Get a folder you want 1st, you can carry it outdoor too, how often do you need to split wood with a knife anyway?

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:42:32 PM
Take a 7"x2" piece of wood or anything that doesn't bend, keep it in your pocket for a day and see if it's comfortable, it's not for me.

Get a folder you want 1st, you can carry it outdoor too, how often do you need to split wood with a knife anyway?

That's true, and I do hike a lot more than I camp, as in I don't split wood as often...

I might go for the Ontario RAT folder. It's quite nice and 25 bucks, half the price of the Aegis. Everyone seems to be happy with theirs and I haven't heard a bad thing about Ontario in general.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:04:18 AM
Im thinking a smaller skeleton knife for backcountry use. Since I spend most time in the alpine, where open fires are not really acceptable and fire wood is scarce, so I don't really need something for batoning.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:50 AM

That's true, and I do hike a lot more than I camp, as in I don't split wood as often...

I might go for the Ontario RAT folder. It's quite nice and 25 bucks, half the price of the Aegis. Everyone seems to be happy with theirs and I haven't heard a bad thing about Ontario in general.

Yeah, and buggeringly heavy.  Yeah, okay, really nice knife for the price, but you're looking at a 5+ ounce weight for a folding knife.  You're going to hate the weight if you're using it for hiking or backpacking, especially since you're going to need to figure a sheath in as well - pocket clips + hiking = really, really sore thigh or a lost knife.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 03:45:46 AM
Im thinking a smaller skeleton knife for backcountry use. Since I spend most time in the alpine, where open fires are not really acceptable and fire wood is scarce, so I don't really need something for batoning.

Then something like an Esee Izula or a Becker Necker is probably overkill.  Seriously.  If you're not splitting wood (and who honestly does) what do you need a knife for?  Preparing food?  Picking rocks out of your boot treads?  Picking out splinters?  Cutting rope or cutting open packaging?  How big, how sturdy and how expensive of a knife do you really need for that?

I've been a camper and an outdoorsman for 15 years, including sea kayaking and long canoeing trips.  My dad's been the same for 40+, and has experience with glaciated peak hiking.  My wife was in the Guides program for 10+ years. 
You don't need a big knife.  It's utter garbage.  All these videos of people building shelters and cutting up firewood?  It's survivalist work.  It's for show.  It's something 99.99%+ of people will never, ever do backpacking.

You're carrying a tent when you're hiking, you don't need to build a shelter.  If you don't need to build a shelter, a pocket saw or a saw on something like a Vic Farmer or something of similar size is more than adequate for getting firewood - hell, you don't even need that, especially if you're hiking in areas that have fire restrictions - you're carrying fuel for your portable stoves.

Honest advice, something like a Vic Farmer (it's a perfect compliment of tools for hiking), and a small fixed blade like an Izula, Becker Necker or even a Cold Steel Superedge is probably the capability you'll need, paired with a small keychain sharpener (draw or diamond stone, whatever you're comfortable with) and you should be gold.

Erm..

End Rant

Offline sappyg

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:27 AM

My concern with neck knives is that they can be uncomfortable. They sacrifice comfort and length for lightness and skininess
can't have it both ways... sorry... pic one and go with it. 
i

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 05:54:38 AM

Then something like an Esee Izula or a Becker Necker is probably overkill.  Seriously.  If you're not splitting wood (and who honestly does) what do you need a knife for?  Preparing food?  Picking rocks out of your boot treads?  Picking out splinters?  Cutting rope or cutting open packaging?  How big, how sturdy and how expensive of a knife do you really need for that?

I've been a camper and an outdoorsman for 15 years, including sea kayaking and long canoeing trips.  My dad's been the same for 40+, and has experience with glaciated peak hiking.  My wife was in the Guides program for 10+ years. 
You don't need a big knife.  It's utter garbage.  All these videos of people building shelters and cutting up firewood?  It's survivalist work.  It's for show.  It's something 99.99%+ of people will never, ever do backpacking.

You're carrying a tent when you're hiking, you don't need to build a shelter.  If you don't need to build a shelter, a pocket saw or a saw on something like a Vic Farmer or something of similar size is more than adequate for getting firewood - hell, you don't even need that, especially if you're hiking in areas that have fire restrictions - you're carrying fuel for your portable stoves.

Honest advice, something like a Vic Farmer (it's a perfect compliment of tools for hiking), and a small fixed blade like an Izula, Becker Necker or even a Cold Steel Superedge is probably the capability you'll need, paired with a small keychain sharpener (draw or diamond stone, whatever you're comfortable with) and you should be gold.

Erm..

End Rant
If I am not mistaken, you contradicted yourself in there, no offense. I know a big knife is useless and retarded, which is why I am looking at knifes that are </~ 3". And folders have failed me or frozen on summits.
Interested to hear stories about your experiences though, PM me anytime.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 05:54:49 AM

Erm..

End Rant
If I am not mistaken, you contradicted yourself in there, no offense. I know a big knife is useless and retarded, which is why I am looking at knifes that are </~ 3". And folders have failed me or frozen on summits.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 05:56:23 AM

Sorry, that really wasn't directed at you, that was more so directed at the thread in general.  Sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:07:20 AM by jekostas »

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:56 PM

Yeah, and buggeringly heavy.  Yeah, okay, really nice knife for the price, but you're looking at a 5+ ounce weight for a folding knife.  You're going to hate the weight if you're using it for hiking or backpacking, especially since you're going to need to figure a sheath in as well - pocket clips + hiking = really, really sore thigh or a lost knife.
1. I'm not a smurf
2. I specifically said I wouldn't be carrying my folder with me when i go hiking/camping. I would be carrying a fixie. Which is why i was looking for a good fixie that i could edc, so i wouldn't have to buy two knives. No matter what I do I'm going to have a good fixie for outdoors.

Also, I don't like the non-locking saws on the Vics. I just don't feel safe with it. I'd much rather chop or baton than saw with one of those little tiny saws that bend and fold and break.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:23 PM
1. I'm not a Colorful Enunciation
2. I specifically said I wouldn't be carrying my folder with me when i go hiking/camping. I would be carrying a fixie. Which is why i was looking for a good fixie that i could edc, so i wouldn't have to buy two knives. No matter what I do I'm going to have a good fixie for outdoors.

Also, I don't like the non-locking saws on the Vics. I just don't feel safe with it. I'd much rather chop or baton than saw with one of those little tiny saws that bend and fold and break.

Victorinox saws? Bending, folding, breaking?

They're pretty thick compared to a lot of multitool's my brother, and I can't even imagine what hijinks you'd be up to to have one fold on your fingers. :P
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:26 PM
If you really, honestly think that you're going to be chopping up wood, a $10 folding camping axe from Wal-Mart will weigh less than a pound and chop wood 100,000 times better than a $100 fixed blade knife super ultra mega fighting knife.

Or a $10 folding wood saw and a diamond rod for sharpening it.

Less exertion, less calorie wastage, and they'll probably weigh about the same.

Why?  Because they're designed to do it.  

You wanted honest advice?  You're getting it.  Bringing a massive fixed blade knife in to the woods is absolutely ridiculous, in terms of cost, weight and functionality.  Yeah, they're "cool", but trying to be "cool" in the wilderness is really, really not a good combination.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:27:00 PM by jekostas »

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 03:26:58 AM

They're pretty thick compared to a lot of multitool's my brother, and I can't even imagine what hijinks you'd be up to to have one fold on your fingers. :P

The lack of lock + stuck in a piece of wood = fold, do not want.

If you really, honestly think that you're going to be chopping up wood, a $10 folding camping axe from Wal-Mart will weigh less than a pound and chop wood 100,000 times better than a $100 fixed blade knife super ultra mega fighting knife.

Or a $10 folding wood saw and a diamond rod for sharpening it.

Less exertion, less calorie wastage, and they'll probably weigh about the same.

Why?  Because they're designed to do it. 

You wanted honest advice?  You're getting it.  Bringing a massive fixed blade knife in to the woods is absolutely ridiculous, in terms of cost, weight and functionality.  Yeah, they're "cool", but trying to be "cool" in the wilderness is really, really not a good combination.

I mean I'm not planning on becoming a lumberjack or anything... Not trying to be cool either... If i'm totally honest wood processing is probably going to be a "just in case" kind of function I'm looking for on a knife. As I said, not a lumberjack. Camping is something I'm sorta planning on doing, thinking "Yeah one day soon..." but really my main use would be during hiking, and I guess I really don't need any of this for that. What would the use be for a knife on a hiking trip anyways? Food preparation? Maybe camping but not hiking. Wood processing? Nope. So what do I need it for? Just in case? F that, I'll just carry my folder... I really need to stop getting swooped up in product hype.  :think:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 03:42:13 AM

The lack of lock + stuck in a piece of wood = fold, do not want.

... huh? I'm still not able to figure out what you're trying to do for this to happen... XD
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 05:28:54 AM
markn951, oddly enough I had this conversation with my father when I was over at his place.  He's been an outdoorsman for many, many years, and done things like white water canoeing, glaciated peak hiking and long excursions.  When I asked him what he used a knife for when he went hiking (and he still does regularly), the three things he said were cutting cheese (it's tough to get enough fat in hiking rations), cutting loose threads from harnesses so they don't catch and fray, and cutting moleskin for covering blisters.

That's about it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD