Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw T-Tool

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Kershaw T-Tool
on: August 18, 2010, 01:01:55 AM
Just a quick 'n dirty of a very useful little tool from Kershaw.

I ended up needing a replacement clip for my Zings, so I ordered one from Kershaw - along with a small baggie of clips, screws, washers and just about everything else imaginable, they threw one of these along with it.  So hey - free screwdriver (nice!).

Basic thoughts - it's sturdy, it's aluminium.  It's nicely knurled at the tip for grip and you can get a fair amount of torq on it without issues.  Comes with a keychain attachment at the top.

The teflon coating isn't the greatest, I expect it to come off eventually, but for now it looks pretty cool.  The tool comes with three bits - a T6, T8 and small Philips bit, the bits you'll need to disassemble just about every Kershaw knife, and most other knives out there.  The bits are standard hex drivers, albeit with shorter shanks so they can fit in the handle.  They attach and are held in place with a surprisingly strong magnet - I carried a standard hex bit in the magnetic holder for a couple of days and it didn't fall out.
The only negative I've seen is that the threading doesn't really have a posi-stop at the end to lock it in.  It'll probably loosen over time, so a little silicon thread tape is probably a good idea.

As for standard bits fitting, yes they will.  The tool is sized so that the 3 shortened-shank bits will fit in the body, but I've found you can easily carry two standard-sized hex bits, or with a little creative fitting you can fit two of the shortened bits and one standard-sized bit in the body of the holder as well.  If you're a little more daring, you can also carry one extra bit in the magnetic holder - as I said, I did so over a couple of days on my keychain and it didn't come loose at all.

Kershaw sells this as an item to take along camping to do quick adjustments on your knives, and hey - pretty good idea, actually.  Light, tough and pretty useful.  At ~$7, it's certainly not a bad at all.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Kershaw T-Tool
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:50:04 AM
Looks like a good bit of kit for $7.. :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:23:28 AM
Quite a bit of bang for your bucks then :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:10:07 AM
Thanks for this jekostas. The T Tool has always looked like a useful piece of kit to me, but I've heard that the quality isn't up to much, so I've never got one.

It's nice to hear that you find it sturdy enough to be useful, I'll be looking out for one :cheers:

I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 04:04:37 AM
Thanks for this jekostas. The T Tool has always looked like a useful piece of kit to me, but I've heard that the quality isn't up to much, so I've never got one.

As I said, the threading isn't great at the top, but the body is solid enough, as are the holder and the bits.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%