Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Soul Searching

Kidder · 16 · 1849

Offline Kidder

Soul Searching
on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:14 AM
I Purchased a SOG Power Lock last week to either permanently replace or a temporary substitute for my 11 year old Gerber who should be in the repair bin in Oregon by now.

My Gerber was an extension of my hands, the SOG is new and takes getting use to. Kinda like giving up your wife of 15 years for a new girlfriend, even though it looks and feels good on the outside, you don’t want to admit that on the inside it’s getting a little annoying.

In the first week, there were many times where the needle nose was impeding what I wanted to unbolt because of clearance, but this is common with most multi tools.

I’m having some trouble getting the screwdriver out as fast as I want. I’m pulling out at least three tools and then fiddle around putting the others back. I have (had) no problem doing that with my Gerber.

I whipped out the SOG for a one handed display in front of a few people yesterday and one of those covers came flying off. I’m not sure why it did that, may have gotten caught on the nylon sheath. Whatever, I still had to crawl under a cabinet to retrieve it. A little embarrassing, but I’m a big boy.

The worst problem, and the question I’m asking is, is the SOG (like the new girlfriend) too pretty? Yesterday I helped a fitter pull a valve. Normally, I’d have no problem opening the knife on the Gerber to scrap all the stuff…. whatever hardened stuff that was in the pipe, rust, hardened gasket material, etc. off the flange. However, when I opened the SOG, and saw the shining brand new half serrated blade, I froze. I couldn’t do it. It was too pretty to scrape up. I got off the ladder and got my old Barlow to do the job.

Is this a psychological issue? Is it because my Gerber is gray and dull and not very pretty? Can I get over this? Should I take the Gerber back, or get a new ugly gray tool?

Help!

Steve

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Soul Searching
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:26:45 AM
Wow, you think the PowerLock is pretty?  Time to get some thicker glasses and cut down on your "medication!"  :grin:

It's typical of a new tool to not measure up to your faithful companion, which is one of the many reasons most of us here have a fear of commitment when it comes to important things like multis, SAKs etc.  Remember that you had over a decade to get used to your Gerber, and you've only had the PowerLock for a short time.  Give it a chance (not like you have many options!) and if you still don;t like it, your Gerber will be back soon enough, and you can either keep the PowerLock safely tucked away as a backup, or give it to someone else who isn't used to any particular tool and might appreciate it.

The other possibility it to re-arrange and outfit your PowerLock so that it's more or less in the same order the tools were in in your Gerber.  That may help the transition, and is one of the PowerLock's best features.

And, whatever you do, don't EVER, under any circumstances buy a SwissTool if you think the PowerLock is too pretty to use!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:29:49 AM
Kidder
First of all welcome to this merry little band of misfits. Secondly I dont think it is really an issue yet. You got to figure you spent 15 years with a tool that you are comfortable with and know all the issues it has, and now you got a new one to learn the bugs on. I think after a while you will find there is no Perfect tool out there, just the one you have the most confidence in.

Give the SOG a try for a while longer, If ya dont like it well the Gerber will be back soon enough, and you can find a home elsewhere for this tool, like a workspace tool, or the dash of the car. If that dont work trade it for another gerber.
S

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:04:46 AM
I fall in love with knives and multis just like the rest of us, and tend to buy more then I can use, but I am a one tool type of guy, which makes no sense.  However, I always look for "THE" tool for me, you kow?  The one I can be identified with, or be synonomous with.  I carry a tool for months and months, and then want another.  I get it, and can't get used to it.  I miss my old one.  I carry this new tool for a while to WILL myself to give it a chance, but inevitably go back to the missed old tool...... only to find that now I've gotten used to the NEW tool and need to go back to IT!!! :ahhh
I guess the morale of the story is, you get used to what you carry.  As long as it is of relatively equal quality, what you carry is what you become accustomed to.  Give the SOG a chance.  And, specially with a multi tool, DON'T baby it.  Use it.  Abuse it.  Beat it up a little.  It will only grow on you if you put it through it's paces.  If it looks too pretty?  Scuff it up a little by using it and it won't be pretty anymore.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:13:15 AM
Don't worry about it mate, the new-ness will soon disappear (usually around the time of it's first big scratch ;D).

If you still haven't bonded with it after about a month then chances are you probably not going too, it is hard to forget the feeling that your some how cheating on your favorite tool :cry:, sometimes it goes away sometimes not ::)

Let us know what the next month brings mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 05:54:26 PM
Powerlocks are not pretty.  It may be "functionally cute."  However, it is not pretty. :)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 01:18:44 AM
Remove the 2 covers on the PowerLock's handles and you will be able to open the blades more easily.  I used the covers for less than one day before removing them and I've not found the handles too uncomfortable while using the pliers.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:45:43 AM
Powerlocks are not pretty.  It may be "functionally cute."  However, it is not pretty. :)

Beauty is STRICTLY in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Kidder

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:13:38 PM
Hi All,

Well, got my Gerber back from Oregon today. I had asked that if the broken needle nose tip (which is actually part of the handle, or 50% of the tool) couldn’t be fixed, then just send it back and I’ll cut it into a blunt nose and pay the postage.

The broken side isn’t broken anymore, so 50% was changed. Also, the other side of the needle nose that had some small craters in it from getting it too close to 110 volts and turning it into a welding tool is also gone.

The only thing left that would be mine are the tools themselves. I told them that the small screwdriver broke years ago. It is now fixed. As far as the other tools go, the knife usually had black electrical tape gunk on it from disconnecting motors in very hot places. This knife was used, but clean. Also the big screwdriver which I use a lot seemed to be allot more pitted then the one I sent them. Also, this Gerber seems to be “looser” then the one I was use to. With the Gerber closed, I can open the handle enough to open the pliers about ¼ inch. I don’t remember if mine did that.

Conclusion, they threw my Gerber in a pile and sent me somebody else’s junky one. On the other hand, I now have a working Gerber, it didn’t cost me anything, and they threw in a new sheath.

My dilemma now is, do I continue carrying my new SOG around, or put the Gerber (even though it’s really somebody else’s and feels like a new step child and will take some getting use to.) back in first position.

I will say this, The Gerber tools are MUCH easier and faster to pull out then the SOG.

Kidder

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:31:31 AM
Good for you. It is standard in the industry to return a tool already refurbished, but it also quicker than waiting for the one you sent in to be fixed. good thing is it sounds like you are happy with the results.
S

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 06:10:27 PM
And, whatever you do, don't EVER, under any circumstances buy a SwissTool if you think the PowerLock is too pretty to use!

LOL!  :)  That's exactly what I thought reading Steve's post! I do sympathize with you Steve since I just went thru the same thing with my new Swisstool Spirit. I got over it fast though as time is $. Good luck with both tools, Steve, and have fun. Remember, you can always get another.   ;D
--
Splat
Splat

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 06:19:48 PM

LOL!  :)  That's exactly what I thought reading Steve's post! I do sympathize with you Steve since I just went thru the same thing with my new Swisstool Spirit. I got over it fast though as time is $. Good luck with both tools, Steve, and have fun. Remember, you can always get another.   ;D
--
Splat
The solution is to buy a good used SwissTool.The character marks are already there,so no fear of marring a work art.
I

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 06:33:43 PM
Hi All,

Well, got my Gerber back from Oregon today. I had asked that if the broken needle nose tip (which is actually part of the handle, or 50% of the tool) couldn’t be fixed, then just send it back and I’ll cut it into a blunt nose and pay the postage.

The broken side isn’t broken anymore, so 50% was changed. Also, the other side of the needle nose that had some small craters in it from getting it too close to 110 volts and turning it into a welding tool is also gone.

The only thing left that would be mine are the tools themselves. I told them that the small screwdriver broke years ago. It is now fixed. As far as the other tools go, the knife usually had black electrical tape gunk on it from disconnecting motors in very hot places. This knife was used, but clean. Also the big screwdriver which I use a lot seemed to be allot more pitted then the one I sent them. Also, this Gerber seems to be “looser” then the one I was use to. With the Gerber closed, I can open the handle enough to open the pliers about ¼ inch. I don’t remember if mine did that.

Conclusion, they threw my Gerber in a pile and sent me somebody else’s junky one. On the other hand, I now have a working Gerber, it didn’t cost me anything, and they threw in a new sheath.

My dilemma now is, do I continue carrying my new SOG around, or put the Gerber (even though it’s really somebody else’s and feels like a new step child and will take some getting use to.) back in first position.

I will say this, The Gerber tools are MUCH easier and faster to pull out then the SOG.

Kidder

Sorry I missed this thread mate, I'm glad you got a tool back even if it wasn't the original one :)

Sound's like you still haven't bonded with the Sog yet :-\

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 08:27:29 PM

Conclusion, they threw my Gerber in a pile and sent me somebody else’s junky one.
Kidder

If you return a tool to Victorinox they very often replace it with a new one unless you request your old one back . Victorinox understand people get sentimentally attached to their products and on more then one occasion I have heared of people sending a tool that is too far gone to be repaired and it has been sent back to them plus a new one as well . You cant fault that can you ? I wouldnt be very happy if I recieved someone elses tool back  :angry: I remember sending a Leatherman charge back to the UK importers  ( whitby knifes http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/products.cfm?parentitemid=72 ) and got my one back fully repaired , they done a good job too . Credit due and all that .

Dunc

Offline Kidder

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 02:22:27 AM
No, I have not bonded with the SOG yet, it will take some time.  Like the gentlemen that I am, I refuse to jump from one tool to another just because it's new. I'm just not that shallow.

On the other hand, those Vic Spirit's sure looks sweet, especially with a clip mounted to it.  :pok:

Kidder

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:04 AM
Ah the siren call of the Spirit, don't feel bad about weakening were swiss stuff is concerned, it's perfectly natural, honest ;D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD