Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Here we go again...motorcycles.

Chako · 34 · 2260

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Here we go again...motorcycles.
on: October 29, 2010, 08:13:52 PM
Well it took me a few weeks to figure out that I am no quitter, and the best thing for me is to get back into the saddle.

So today is my first day back into looking at a new/used motorcycle. I am dismissing the URAL. Sidecars, although they look neat, are not for me after reading about their riding characteristics and lack of URAL reliability and archaic design.

I just came back from the local dealers. I visited 3 shops. The first have a 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650cc for $5500. New but just sitting on the floor a bit too long...so they have it reduced right now.

At another dealership, they had a pair of Yamahas. A new 2010 V Star 1100 for a little over $9000, and a fully decked out and stunningly beautiful used V Star 650 for a little over $7000.

I was seriously disappointed with the Honda Shadow 750 at the Honda dealership. The bike felt bad, the controls cramped, and the tank too flat, shallow and wide. So that scratches out Honda I think. If the Shadow felt cheap, not sure I want to see what else they have.

The KLR is not my type of motorcycle. I just love a cruiser. That used Yamaha V Star 650 is stunning. Custom seats, highway pegs, 2 or 3 tone paint, etc. But it is a 650cc, and I wonder how that might affect its handling. The 1100 is nice, but bland as all get out being gray with a very subtle flame gray paint job. No extras though, and I know the first thing I will want is a windshield and saddlebags. The used motorcycle has all that and more. I think I would like to keep my second motorcycle under 1000cc. My Triumph had plenty of power for me. Not that I am discounting the 1100 just yet. It still fits in my price range.

I have just started looking, and already, I have a few likely suspects. I have not looked at the used boards again. I know I won't be able to find another Triumph locally if I wanted to. That V Star 650 is one hell of a looker...just not sure if it has any performance...as in enough power to pass other vehicles on the highway.

What are your thoughts?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Here we go again...motorcycles.
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:26:13 PM
+1 for the BMW's :tu:

If you really have to have a cruiser, how about a V-Max? All the power you could ever want, and fun too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:14:06 AM
There are no BMW dealers in my area.

As for the V Max...I asked the dealer...$20,000+ for a motorcycle is a bit much for me when I can be perfectly happy on a cheaper motorcycle. 10k is about my max right now. Besides, I don't need much power. I found 800cc to be plenty.

My main questions is this...would 650 be enough? I know 800cc was plenty. I just don't know if 650cc is. Which historically is sort of ridiculous as 500cc was a big motorcycle back then.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:47:08 AM
Don't look at cc's, find the HP and Torque numbers.  That is what tells you the bike's performance.  A 600 cc sportbike will make 125 HP and 80 ft.lbs of torque.  (That's a LOT).  A BMW F650 (650cc) makes 48 HP (can't remember the torque).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:16:28 AM
Good point.

Here is what I could find out.

Yamaha V-Star 650 ( 649cc) produces 37.6 ft-lb @ 3000 RPM, 40 horspower.

Triumph America (790cc) produces 44 ft-lb @3500 RPM, 54 horspower.

:think:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:12:07 AM
A 650 should have adequate power, but you will have to get the motor spinning up for overtaking, whereas your old Trumpet would have had a broader torque curve pretty much allowing you to just crack the throttle in any gear and overtaking :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 03:37:06 PM
My son in law had a Victory nice bike. http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/2011/Pages/Find-Your-Model.aspx Be careful out there.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:48:46 PM
It's good to see you're getting back on the horse.  I don't ride, but have had friends who seem to highly recommend the Yamaha  :tu:
SAW

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:57:39 PM
I have a Ninja 650r and that little motor does all I ask of it, but then Im a petite frame.  My dream bike changes week to week but one was the Kawasaki Vulcan 900, check that out.  (Current dream is the HD Street Bob)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:59:29 PM
You be careful whatever lovely beast you get Mister!  :pok:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:10 AM
Well I went back to the Yamaha dealer today and spent a few hours with them.

The more I think about it, there are several big advantages to buying from a local dealer, one being service, and parts availability. I believe I will be purchasing a Yamaha motorcycle for my next ride. I like what I have seen from both the dealer and the last year models they have on hand.

They showed me a 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic pale and dark blue with windshield and aftermarket saddle bags for $4500. It only has around 4000 Kilometers on the odometer and is in very good shape. This one is on consignment.

I already told you about the $7500 2008 V-Star Classic Special Edition. This motorcycle comes with two tone seats with studs, white and blue paint, windshield, 1500 dollar saddle bags (I did not believe him until I saw them in the parts catalog), Vance and Hines custom short pipes, Motor guard with highway pegs, chrome upper eyelids on headlamp, signals, etc. It also has low mileage much like the first. I was curious to hear what the motorcycle sounded like…and yes…it is pretty much straight pipes from what I could listen to.

They also have a beautiful 2009 V-Star 650 Classic in pearl white for a little over $6000. This is new/old stock and that price is with a manufacture rebate. This motorcycle does not have any extras though.

Then I made the mistake of sitting in the 2009 V-Star 1100 Classic. This bike just fit like a glove. Thus is my dilemma. Do I pay $8900 for the larger motorcycle with no extras that fit my larger size, or get a cheaper used motorcycle that I feel a little cramped with all the bells and whistles for a few thousand less. The 1100 is new old stock that has a nice rebate right now...the bike retails for $11000. The seat is wider, the bike is only 4 inches longer...but it adds that right where it counts. My feet fall on the floorboards just right. Those floorboards are also a little larger. The handlebars feel right distance wise. I don't feel cramped. If I go for comfort, I will be getting this. If I do so, then a windshield which cost $500 to $600 and a set of $450 saddlebags will have to be added in the future. I also like having the choke right at the left handlebar control position. The 650, much like my late Triumph, is at the motor.

From what I have seen, I like the Yamaha V-Stars. I know it isn’t a Triumph…but I think I can live happily with one quite easily.

Chrissy, will do.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:22:06 AM by Chako »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 01:00:04 AM
I would choose the 2009 V-Star 1100 Classic.  You say that this bike fits you like a glove, and I believe that's about the most importent feeling you need to have with a new bike.  All the extra's can be bought some other time, but that "fits like a glove" feeling" should be number one on your priority List (just my 2 cents  ;)).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 02:06:57 AM
Not sure yet. I just read that they canceled production of the 1100 for the 950 that is EFI and belt driven. Unfortunately, they did not have a 950 to try out. I am told it is a completely different motorcycle.

I am slowly coming around to thinking I would be happy with that special edition 650 for the type of riding I do, which is leisurely cruising. My thinking now is I can get a motorcycle that I will not have to spend a dime upgrading as it already has it all, for a few thousand less than the slightly larger bike that is bare and would probably need 1600 more to upgrade it to where I would want it to be. I just have to figure out if an extra inch of leg room is worth 3k more to me?  :think:

Sorry for using this board to bounce ideas like this. It does help me though.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 02:44:13 AM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 01:34:53 PM
I just found a link to that Special Edition 650 I was talking about.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Yamaha-V-Star650SilveradoCanadianEdition.htm

I'm no biker but that's a great looking machine. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 01:40:01 PM
My Father has a 650 V Star.. He has put about 7000 Miles on it with No problems at all other than routne Maint. I have ridden it a few times. I go about 230lbs The Bike has no problem at all with me on it getting to or maintaining 70 plus on the Interstate
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 04:36:34 AM
I am now thinking I might go with the V Star 1100. This way, it isn't someone else’s idea of a motorcycle. I can then customize it with extras. For example, I am thinking about a Memphis Shades batwing fairing. That and some saddle bags and I should be good to go. The 1100 is a 2009 model with 1 year warranty. With taxes about 10k. The smaller bike, 8.5k. I figure for the extra 1.5k I can get something with a bit more power for highway cruising and have a warranty. That and I plan on keeping this motorcycle for a long long time. The larger motorcycle also fits me better. The foot rests are at the right spot for comfort, and so are the handlebars...not to mention the seat is a lot wider and more comfortable then the little one on the 650.

I just know that I would be looking for a bit more power down the road. But truth be known...still undecided. This is not an easy choice.

pl Offline WilkBury

• First To Fight
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 01:22:57 PM
I am now thinking I might go with the V Star 1100. This way, it isn't someone else’s idea of a motorcycle. I can then customize it with extras. For example, I am thinking about a Memphis Shades batwing fairing. That and some saddle bags and I should be good to go. The 1100 is a 2009 model with 1 year warranty. With taxes about 10k. The smaller bike, 8.5k. I figure for the extra 1.5k I can get something with a bit more power for highway cruising and have a warranty. That and I plan on keeping this motorcycle for a long long time. The larger motorcycle also fits me better. The foot rests are at the right spot for comfort, and so are the handlebars...not to mention the seat is a lot wider and more comfortable then the little one on the 650.

I just know that I would be looking for a bit more power down the road. But truth be known...still undecided. This is not an easy choice.

I think you should go for a larger and more comfortable bike. You will mount it several thousend times and several thousend times you could regret that your bike is not just a little bigger.  :ahhh
IMHO in this case a little means a lot:salute:
"Think Different"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:50 PM
Well the good news is that I won’t have to pester you guys about my indecisions. I bought the 2009 V-Star 1100 Classic. The shop has offered to keep it in their secondary heated bike storage building till next season...and then register the bike so that I get my full year of warranty as opposed to squandering it during the useless winter months.

Now that I am no longer wracked by indecisions, its time to dress it up a little. The motorcycle is a light gray with black flames. I will be getting a batwing fairing for it. Saddle bags, and a few other things. I like the bagger look.

If I go with the batwing made by Memphis Shades, I also have the option of a quick disconnect and an assortment of other windshields at very good prices compared to the stock Yamaha models. I like the adaptability of the system. Or...I go with a more expensive fairing with built in speakers etc. Not sure yet which is the better route. Does anyone here own a motorcycle with built in sound system?

As for the saddle bags...not sure if I should stick with LeatherLyke hard bags (at the time of my accident...was the third time I had used them), or go for some other model.

I also plan on removing the passenger seat. Not sure if I will be getting any performance parts. I mean...the bike has 1100cc. How much more does anyone need? I was happy with 800 on tap. Who knows. I hear there is an air breather kit that will give you 15 to 20% increased performance for as little as a few hundred bucks and 3 hours of installation time.

I guess the best thing, any parts I buy through the dealer; they can install it on site as the motorcycle will be stored there.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 12:28:18 AM
Congrats on the new bike  :cheers:.

Like I said before, the V-Star 1100 Classic was my favorite if I had to pick one of the bikes that you were looking at.   I don't know much about things like "built in sound system" etc , I always owned race-bike's so the only things I have experience with are a set of carbon-exhausts and those little caps you use to replace the seat of the passenger (don't know how you call these things in English ...  :-[).

Great service from the shop that they're willing to keep the bike in storage untill next season  :tu:.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 03:18:18 AM
Thanks.

Yes, I think I will go with the Memphis Shades batwing fairing. I can't see the need for a sound system on a motorcycle.  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 04:22:58 PM
Thanks.

Yes, I think I will go with the Memphis Shades batwing fairing. I can't see the need for a sound system on a motorcycle.  :think:

Had a stereo on my Burgman.  Matched with BT earbuds, it was awesome on boring freeway slogs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 12:05:59 AM
So far, I have planned to get a Memphis Shades bat wing fairing. Still no clue on windshield height. I know how to properly fit one for me...but no clue what the height of the fairing and my seat height is. I also plan on updating the handlebar grips to Kuryakin ISO grips to eliminate some vibration. I also want to get passing lights, and I will get another set of LeatherLyke saddle bags. I was impressed with them for the short week or so I had them on before the accident.

Still unsure if I should spend some money on bling bling. I feel that any accessory should add to comfort, utility, or convenience. Not sure if adding even more chrome is sensible right now.

So far, I think I have the makings of a game plan. I am still gutted that I lost my beloved Triumph America. I know I did the right decision getting the larger motorcycle for highway riding, as next Summer, I plan on doing some road trips with it if all goes to plan.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 01:13:26 AM
Update:

I just ordered a Memphis Shades batwing fairing with chrome trim and lower deflectors and a 9" windshield, and a set of chrome Yamaha passing lamps. I will next get another set of LeatherLyke Cross Country hard bags. I like what I saw briefly with the Cruiser models on the Triumph.

That should be a good start to turning my V Star into a bagger.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 12:47:19 AM
Dang...got to love this.

In order to get a check for the Triumph buyout because they wrote it off, I had to send them my ownership, keys, etc, via mail. I dropped those with a signed and witnessed form I had to agree to in regards to the offer at the local insurance broker a week or so ago.

Now I get a call from an out of town wrecker to pick up the bike. I say wait a minute...I haven't been paid by the insurance company yet! I inform them that I won't release the motorcycle until I get a check. If they come to my door with it, they can have the motorcycle. It is locked in my garage. I called my insurance broker, and they looked into it, and informed me that they haven't made a check out for me yet. What is taking so long?

I feel like they want my motorcycle really bad as they will sell it off for a nice bit of cash at auction...and possibly not pay me for it. As far as I am concerned, they need to pay me for the motorcycle first and then they can have it.

I just got off the phone with the wrecker. A very nice lady told me she was hoping to come down on the weekend (have 3 more motorcycles to pick up in the area), but it looks like a bust as they can't get them coordinated to make it in one trip. She is hoping for the following weekend. I just hope I have a check by then. It should be interesting.

smurfing insurance!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 03:48:59 AM
Ah, this is turning into a mini blog of sorts.

I received the check and all it good on that account. The wreckers are coming to pick up the Triumph on Sunday morning.  :cry:

I have been soul searching on what I want for bags on the V Star 1100, and finally made a decision on Tsukayu Strong bags with luggage racks and bag guards. I went with the standard glossy black to match the batwing fairing. I think it will look sharp with the charcoal gray motorcycle with black flames.

http://www.tsukayu.com/Strong.htm

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 02:44:00 PM
Yesterday found me once again at the dealers. I just ordered a nice tidy list of parts. The big item on this list being a Lindby Multibar engine guard. I also finally got around to ordering from eBay, a motorcycle chock so that I can use my trailer for transport purposes.

As I type this, I am awaiting the arrival of the wreckers to haul away the Triumph.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:31 PM
Yesterday found me once again at the dealers. I just ordered a nice tidy list of parts. The big item on this list being a Lindby Multibar engine guard. I also finally got around to ordering from eBay, a motorcycle chock so that I can use my trailer for transport purposes.

As I type this, I am awaiting the arrival of the wreckers to haul away the Triumph.

:cry:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 10:22:51 PM
Yes. Definitely a bitter moment. He arrived earlier today, and I helped him load it up onto his trailer. Next to it was a Honda Shadow. A cute little number in red and silver. I remember seeing it around town the last couple of years. Talk about damage. A huge dent on the tank where the driver struck the top of the gas tank. Windshield in half, and a huge gouge that ran the length of the rear fender. Mine looked almost new in comparison.

Ah well.

At least I have another ride to look forward to next spring. It took me 8 weeks to get somewhat attuned with the Triumph's idiosyncrasies. I get to start that whole process over again.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40