Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Justifying a new Tool?

us Offline 6thtexas

Justifying a new Tool?
on: November 05, 2010, 10:02:51 PM
Anyone else ever get into a situation where you want to try something new but honestly can't justify it?  I've got:

a Swisstool X-it lives in my work bag and comes with me when I have real manual type labor to do, it's the nicest tool I own but also the heaviest;
a SOG Paratool-my normal EDC and in my pocket right now;
a Gerber MP400-always my fishing companion, had it for years, light and handy (unfortunately it smells a bit like catfish bait)
a P4 Leatherman-goes to town with me when I really don't think I'll need a "real" MT

I also have 4 SAKS- Classic SD, Alox Soldier, Huntsman, and an OHT.

I have a bunch of pocket knives and always have one on me.

Anyone think of any gaps I need to fill?

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Re: Justifying a new Tool?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:16:39 PM
Spend enough time here and you will find out you had gaps needed filling that you couldn’t even imagine
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:20:05 PM
Yes.

You have a serious Atwood deficiency.

Your Leatherman titers are dangerously low.

And you suffer from flashlightopenia.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:13 PM
Yep do not go in to the flashlight forum!  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline 6thtexas

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:27 PM
I've been bit by the flashlight bug, but not near as bad.

Got a couple of Olights and some keychain AAA ITPs

Oh yeah, also a rechargeable B&D searchlight.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:31:48 PM
Why no Farmer yet? >:( :pok: :D

You need more Aloxie goodness :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:35 PM
SOG! You NEED more SOG's
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 12:29:41 AM
I don't believe you mentioned owning a Crunch.  :pok:
G

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 01:09:21 AM
Perhaps a PST?  Slightly uncomfortable grip aside, it really is still a good tool.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 01:14:21 AM
What is this "justification" thing you speak of?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 01:47:46 AM
I have this mode I go into when my wife is around that somehow makes her understand why I need whatever I am buying that day.  I usually don't remember half of what I said and the other half doesn't make any sense later.  I guess justification is only needed for the wife at my house, if I think I have the cash and I want something bad enough, there is not justifying it, it just happens.

Offline SoDak

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 01:55:20 AM
I've been justifying buying more multitools by instituting my "save a leatherman" program. Basically I troll the local pawnshops every few weeks and see if they have any old leathermans in decent shape for a good price(a good price being they key point). So far I've bought 2 nice pst's for about $16 a piece and a nice minitool for about $10. I've thought about expanding out into saving abused leathermans, but I'm not sure I can spend that much money yet since there seems to be no shortage of damaged ones. I need to though since I passed on a sideclip for $20 a year or so back that mostly needed a good cleaning(still kicking myself on that one).

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 02:15:28 AM
I dunno about this "bug" you all are talking about... I can't justify getting a second Leatherman, even to replace the one I lost. I guess I'm either really cheap, or completely satisfied with my Skeletool CX. I'm sure I will replace my Surge eventually, just have other things that need my money more urgently (climbing gear for ice and rock, and some backcountry stuff) :P
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 04:50:40 AM
I dunno about this "bug" you all are talking about... I can't justify getting a second Leatherman, even to replace the one I lost. I guess I'm either really cheap, or completely satisfied with my Skeletool CX. I'm sure I will replace my Surge eventually, just have other things that need my money more urgently (climbing gear for ice and rock, and some backcountry stuff) :P

Skele CX + Surge = 2 Leathermans.  :pok:

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 05:16:37 AM
Anyone else ever get into a situation where you want to try something new but honestly can't justify it?  I've got:

a Swisstool X-it lives in my work bag and comes with me when I have real manual type labor to do, it's the nicest tool I own but also the heaviest;
a Gerber MP400-always my fishing companion, had it for years, light and handy (unfortunately it smells a bit like catfish bait)
a P4 Leatherman-goes to town with me when I really don't think I'll need a "real" MT

You need some large fixed blades.
You need a few Leatherman tools.
I have succumbed to buying new stuff every week or so. Its getting worse and at this point I am struggling to limit myself to only one new item a week...

Except for Atwoods which are first come first served and normal rules do not apply.
On which note: I still really really want a Snakebite.

So basically the tools you need now are all the tools you don't have yet. When you own every model ever made, (Chako) you will find something else to need.

Welcome to MT.O
(insert witty quote)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 12:34:25 PM
If you hang around here long enough, you won't need to justify anything. However, most of the members are married...and their better halves surrogate for the members sensibility, practicality, and finance...

So if you’re not married, I am sorry my friend...you may already be lost.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 02:53:47 PM

You need some large fixed blades.
You need a few Leatherman tools.
I have succumbed to buying new stuff every week or so. Its getting worse and at this point I am struggling to limit myself to only one new item a week...

Except for Atwoods which are first come first served and normal rules do not apply.
On which note: I still really really want a Snakebite.

So basically the tools you need now are all the tools you don't have yet. When you own every model ever made, (Chako) you will find something else to need.

Welcome to MT.O

I am right there with ya.  My wife has noticed too.  What I have started to do is trade once a week.  It may not last but it's fun.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 03:49:52 PM
You need a Vic. Spirit , most refined tool out there , and a Leatherman MUT , for those walks on the wild side .

Chris

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 04:05:46 PM
Lots of great advice in this thread, it's actually made it to my BookMarks (thanks Whoey!)

There are certain retired Leathermans you may wish to grab while they're still available, such as the PST/PST II, Original SuperTool, Pulse, Squirt, Juice line, SideClip etc, as well as some SOG's which are absolute MUST-HAVES like the Paratool, the PPP (S44) and even some select Gerbers like the Octane and MP600 w/ carbide cutters, I recommend a Vic Spirit for everyone as well as coloured Alox...

I could go on and on but I suggest reading the forum regularly as well as our main website to get an idea what's out there.  You may be surprised what you're missing.  So try new tools, if you don't like them, trade/sell them but don't hesitate on something you may be interested in as you could really miss out!

I hope this has been helpful  :pok: Now go out and buy more goodies  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 05:17:24 PM
Lots of great advice in this thread, it's actually made it to my BookMarks (thanks Whoey!)

There are certain retired Leathermans you may wish to grab while they're still available, such as the PST/PST II, Original SuperTool, Pulse, Squirt, Juice line, SideClip etc, as well as some SOG's which are absolute MUST-HAVES like the Paratool, the PPP (S44) and even some select Gerbers like the Octane and MP600 w/ carbide cutters, I recommend a Vic Spirit for everyone as well as coloured Alox...

I could go on and on but I suggest reading the forum regularly as well as our main website to get an idea what's out there.  You may be surprised what you're missing.  So try new tools, if you don't like them, trade/sell them but don't hesitate on something you may be interested in as you could really miss out!

I hope this has been helpful  :pok: Now go out and buy more goodies  :cheers:

He just likes to trade.   :D 

Really though, you can get some awesome trades done on this forum, and as long as you treat everyone right, you will keep on trading.  The Sawman is a fantastic trading partner, he rotates his stock as often as anyone and everything is in flawless condition. 

I would rather get a new tool from him or others here than buy it from a retailer. 

See Steve, I plugged ya!  :cheers:

us Offline sawman

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 05:25:02 PM
Thanks for those kind words  :D

I agree about the trades as I've gotten many of my favorite items from trades/forum buys.  Oh that's what I forgot to mention - forum buys.  If you find yourself hooked on this forum as many of us are, become a Charter Member and take part of some great discounted group buys of all the brand names.  It's well worth it - and no, they're not paying me to say this  :P
SAW

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 05:30:25 PM
Thanks for those kind words  :D

I agree about the trades as I've gotten many of my favorite items from trades/forum buys.  Oh that's what I forgot to mention - forum buys.  If you find yourself hooked on this forum as many of us are, become a Charter Member and take part of some great discounted group buys of all the brand names.  It's well worth it - and no, they're not paying me to say this  :P
Sawman's right, we aren't...  :angel: :angel: Psst, what your PP adress again..  ;) :D

And right now you get a Free Leatherman Micra when you buy a Charter Membership..   :pok: :pok:
Click: Charter Member Drive :tu:

us Offline sawman

Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 05:41:48 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SAW

us Offline 6thtexas

Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 06:40:19 PM
Y'all aint' nothing but a bunch of enablers! :D

My wife just shakes her head of late when a new blade or tool appears out of my pocket.

On reflection, I think I could use a Leatherman Juice, and a Freestyle would complement a SAK very nicely.  A SOG powerlock could be handy at times...

A bit off the topic but I found out this morning that the saw I installed in my paratool does a great job in cutting a deer's pelvic bone-hunting season opened today and there's fresh meat in the fridge.

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:57 PM
I'm looking at a Freestyle as well, as it would make a great buddy to the custom SAK I'm still figuring on.

My tool spread looks a lot like yours, but I don't have a "big" MT yet like your SwissX.  One thing I'm considering is a one-piece tool with a built-in wrench and prybar.  Something like a Pocketwrench II, a PocketToolX Piranha, or an Atwood Atwrench.

The Crunch is always an option, but I'm having trouble justifying it since I wouldn't EDC it and a normal Vice Grip of that size is so cheap...BUT IT IS THE COOLEST DESIGN EVER DESIGNED BY DESIGNERS and I want one in me heart.

And hey!  I used my Wave's saw to whack off the antler section of a buck's skull I took last week.  I didn't use it on the pelvic bone as we keep a hatchet around for that.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:42 AM
Memorize this phrase: "I don't have one of those yet." You can use it as many times as you need to.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 11:45:41 AM
Enough with the smurf footing around  :ahhh :ahhh

'Halfdozentexas' just get em all mate  :pok: :D :D :D, wives do make this cause of action a challenge , but life is all about overcoming challenges  :P :D :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 11:51:29 AM
What did No6 do to you to deserve that advice Mat?  :o :think: :ahhh

:D
Everything’s adjustable

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 11:53:10 AM
Yep do not go in to the flashlight forum!  :salute:

yes only go there unless you want to see the light of day....
'

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 11:59:15 AM
What did No6 do to you to deserve that advice Mat?  :o :think: :ahhh

:D

Hells bells Sparky I sure hope no one actually takes my advice   :ahhh :ahhh:P :P :P :D :D :D.

Plan B). Multi tools could break,get rusty, get lost....... best to have a 'few' back ups  ::) :D :D :D :D.
Better  :think: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60