Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

More Gunboat Goodness!

2xTap · 23 · 2688

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
More Gunboat Goodness!
on: November 06, 2010, 05:58:38 PM
Yup, more Gunboat Canoe goodness for my ever growing collection. This one arrived earlier this week and it was definitely a  :mail: moment!

Many of you know my affinity for this pattern so I won't bore you with more drivel on how great and awesome I believe they are, so we'll just jump right in with some eye-candy..........

Back in 2005 Case introduced a new pattern collection of knives called the Vintage Pattern Series. This series of knives consisted of just a few of their more classic patterns. Initially the patterns were the #88 Congress, the #72 Clasp Knife, the #50 Elephant Toe, and the #94 Gunboat Canoe. I believe it was last year when they added the #91WH Cigar Whittler to the series.

Each run released was limited to 100 of each pattern made in each handle material. This one I got here is from the debut release back in 2005.....

The Gunboat Canoe is 4 1/4" closed and sports a Spear Point mainblade with shorter Sheepsfoot and Spey secondary blades. On the Gunboats the mainblade is swedged and has a long master pull. This one, like all others in the Vintage Pattern Series, have bolsters and shields of nickle/silver, liners and pins of brass, and the blades are made of Tru-Sharp Stainless Steel. The handle material on this one is Jigged Mediterranean Blue Bone.........

Like all of my other Gunboat Canoes, be they VPS or from other runs, this one has a rock solid and clean F&F. Flawless mirror polish throughout, clean and even blade grinds with hair popping sharp edges, zero blade play on all blades, backsprings rest flush with blades opened or closed, zero gaps anywhere in the fit, and the backsprings are near GEC stoutness particularly on the mainblade.

There is some light surface scratches in a small area along both backsprings........

.......a easy fix with some Flitz and a little elbow grease, but otherwise flawless overall.

Gunboats usually run around $100 a pop, and about $20 to $30 north of that for VPS versions on release. I snagged this mint in box 5 year old first edition piece for only $89 on auction. Couldn't be happier.

2xTap  :2tu:
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: More Gunboat Goodness!
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:02:47 PM
I think the blue is the perfect pattern for the GunBoat - that is absolutely priceless.  Do you display these in a knife cabinet for others to  :drool: over?  Works of art like this are meant to be shown off  :pok:  :D
SAW

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:11:46 PM
Really nice gunboat you got there! The main blade on these with the long pull and the swedge make it really attractive. The sheepsfoot add utility. A great pattern! Congrats!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:24:51 PM
Sawman,

I don't display these out. They get stored in a Case Knife Tote inside of it's padded folders which is then stored in my gunsafe. Here's a older pic of some of mine, as well as regular Canoes, inside one of these padded folders which was taken back when I first got into Gunboat Canoes......

I have other knives in displays set out for viewing, as it were. These get taken out to show when the need arises, or when I need a Gunboat fix! That last bit happens quite often.

TFF,

Thanks bud. I've never really been all that much of a fan of Spear Point blades but how they do these on the Gunboats has, at least for this pattern, changed my view of them. I actually like them on the Gunboat.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:43 PM
The Gunboat is an interesting pattern , not being a fan of clip blades , it appeals more than the Stockman genere .

Chris

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:41 PM
Gorgeous!  :drool:

Are the scales natural material which is dyed or synthetic?

And for my practical side:  Do you carry a gunboat canoe?  If so, how does it hold up?

us Offline sawman

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 08:18:02 PM
I suppose that's the nice thing about MTO:  snap a few pics and the forum can be your display case for all to enjoy  :D   I can't say I blame you for keeping them safe-kept  :tu:  Isn't it funny how some of the best things ever made are in such limited quantity  :P
SAW

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:17 PM
Styerman,

See I am just the opposite, prefering Clip blades. But the style of Spear on the Gunboats I have grown to like quite a bit.

Mr. Whippy,

The bone scales used on Case knives, including mine above and below, comes from the shin bone of Brazilian Zebu Cattle. It is dyed. And yes, I do carry regularly a Gunboat Canoe. My EDC piece is a Dark Red Bone Silverscript Gunboat.........

I usually carry it in a KSF PocketSlip......

And they hold up very well. Mine has been toted around for about 5 years now, give or take a few months here or there when others made the rotation. None the worse for wear really. Gunboat Canoes are good sized hefty knives. Generous blade stock, hefty backsprings, large bolsters, alot of metal in these. They make excellent EDC slippies if you don't mind the size or weight.

2xTap

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 01:43:03 PM
I'm not jealous  >:(
I'm back!!

us Offline David

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:57 PM
Reckon that`s a right good looking knife there 2xTap!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:13:13 PM
Very, very nice 2xTap. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:37:42 PM
sawman,

Very much so, on both accounts.

Benner,

I believe I've mentioned to you how about going and getting your own......and trust me, you'll want to!  ;)

David & Gareth,

Thanks guys, she is rather purdy. So now I have a Gunboat in Mediterranean Blue Bone, two different ones in Caribbean Blue Bone, and one in Navy Blue Bone. Now I just to get the newest release VPS in Blue Lagoon Bone and by nautical Gunnies should be complete!  :2tu:

2xTap

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 02:56:26 AM
Those blue bones look mighty fine to me too  :gimme:

I carry a Canoe in the same KSF case - works a treat :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 05:11:20 AM
nuphoria,

Yeah, the PocketSlips work great. And with these bigger patterns like the Gunboats they keep the knife upright in your pocket.

2xTap

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 08:47:23 PM
You have, but other things keep cropping up.  ::)
I'm back!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 10:51:28 PM
You have, but other things keep cropping up.  ::)

Benner,

Yeah bud, I know. Happens to me all the time.

BUT......we are talking Gunboat Canoes here. The ultimate in slipjoint technology! The quintessential non-locking folder for the serious slipjoint user! Sacrifices have to be made.  ;)

2xTap  :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:21 PM
I guess food is a bit of a luxary these days  :think:
I'm back!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:28 PM
I guess food is a bit of a luxary these days  :think:

You'd be surprised how long the human body can go without sustenance. But not even that, put them survival skills to work. And with a Gunboat in hand, survival is assured.  :2tu:

2xTap  :D

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 04:15:24 AM
I'm watching one of these on a popular internet auction site right now. I've always wanted to try out this pattern. I guess I know who I'll be bidding against now  :D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:54 PM
I'm watching one of these on a popular internet auction site right now. I've always wanted to try out this pattern. I guess I know who I'll be bidding against now  :D

Don't worry about me bud, I ain't going after it. My knife buying is slowing down right now (trying to save up enough coin to add another 1911 to the gunsafe, looking at a TRP Operator!). Unless something really sweet pops up at a deal I can't pass, the only knife I got in my sights at the moment is the upcoming "Backpocket" from Case.

Hope you win this one bud, good luck!  :tu:

2xTap

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:20 PM
 Those TRP's are sweet. My next pistol is a 9mm. Having a Marine for a Dad has made me biased and pretty much all of my handguns are .45. I've got to get something different. Maybe a Glock 26?

My Gunboat has already gone over what I want to spend on it. Ohh well I'm sure I didn't NEED another knife anyway.

us Offline sawman

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:06 PM
You may not have "needed" it, but unfortunately there are times you get an opportunity to buy something rare or risk if it ever does come up again costing a boatload more. 
SAW

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:25 PM
GMArthur,

Yeah, since their release years ago I have been wanting a TRP, in one form or another. The Operator version really has me. Just wish they did them in 10mm. I keep telling myself to go ahead and splurge and just order myself a Nighthawk Custom or a Fusion, the way I want, in 10mm.....but they are really a bit out of my range for one 1911. I'd also like to have one of the newer release Colt Delta Elite's but they are spendy for a no-frills 1911. I've got to handle a few different TRP's, including one Operator, and they are sweet as hell.....and I know the quality as I've owned a few Springers in my time. So I think I'm going with the TRP, but fundage will dictate.

I've owned Glocks, I like them. But I get bored with them. Had a early model G22, a G32, and a G20. I really liked the G20. I don't have any of them anymore, although I kick myself from time to time for parting with the G20.

How high did that Gunboat get by the way? They are a expensive pattern, but if it stayed below $100 you can't go wrong. But either way don't fret, they always are on the 'bay and good deals can be had. I've snagged a few Gunboats off of there on auction for about half their going retail price. Time and patience bud.

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%