Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Spirit experiment: Week 1.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
The Spirit experiment: Week 1.
on: November 13, 2010, 01:53:31 PM
A week ago I said:

Quote from: Mr. Whippy, Mullah of Multitools
Well, that tears it.

lovenhim, you've convinced me.  I'm going to carry my Vic Spirit for the next few weeks on the farm and see what I think.  There's plenty of planned wiring and routine work to see how it does.  :tu:

This sort of thread is what makes MTO so valuable.  Where else can you find so many unvarnished opinions of tools in the real world.

Well...
I've been using the my Spirit for a week now.  Here are my impressions:

1. The ergos of the handles are great.  Better than the Charge
2.  The onboard Phillips is nice.  The reach is good and for most machine/metal screws, it allows application of enough torque.  The occasional wood screw will defeat it however.
3.  The file is just fine.  It may not be a diamond coat file, but it works very well.
4.  The mini-ratchet works fine, it's just that it's almost easier to bring a miniratchet set with a greater selection of bits.  It's a big time consumer setting it up (relatively speaking) and isn't as "handy" as having the driver onboard
5.  I've gone to carrying a folder because the blade is a hassle to get out.  OHO blades rule--period.  Once deployed, the butterknife works great.  Very sharp. Not so great for plunge cuts, but then again neither is my Razel or Spyderco Captain

Overall, a very impressive tool.  I'm not sure if it will replace the Charge for two reasons:

1.  No OHO blade
2.  The spirit gets extremely slippery when dealing with oil, grease, diesel or wet greasy mud.

However, aside from that, the ergos of the Spirit pliers are great.

One more week to go. ;)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: The Spirit experiment: Week 1.
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:27:33 PM
Sounds like you have been giving it a really good work out and you make some very good points .

Looking forward to next week .

Dunc

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 04:51:43 PM
Very interesting Nate, like Duncan I'm looking forward to your thoughts after weeks two.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:27:51 PM
It'll be tough to back to the Charge mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline cncguy

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:38:33 PM
How are you carrying it? I assume if your using the mini ratchet set, the spirit plus sheath is what you've got. That's a pretty bulky setup compared to a charge with the flat bit cards.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:40:21 PM
How are you carrying it? I assume if your using the mini ratchet set, the spirit plus sheath is what you've got. That's a pretty bulky setup compared to a charge with the flat bit cards.

Correct.  I'm carrying the sheath on the back edge of my hip, which is helping some, but yes, it's bulky compared to back pocket carry of the Charge.

ca Offline cncguy

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:48:45 PM
Thats a pretty nice package to be carrying though. Covers a lot of bases. Did you remove the corkscrew? I find the tip sometimes bites me when I'm trying to get stuff out of the sheath. Unless you can put in in point first. You know I've never tried  :oops:

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
The spirit is a nice tool. I haven't carried it much. Thanks for sharing

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 12:02:41 PM
[quote author=Mr. Whippy link=topic=24129.msg441472#msg441472

Overall, a very impressive tool.  I'm not sure if it will replace the Charge for two reasons:

1.  No OHO blade
2.  The spirit gets extremely slippery when dealing with oil, grease, diesel or wet greasy mud.

One more week to go. ;)

[/quote]

Well we have a fix for the OHO , Victorionx follows Bob/J-sew lead  :pok: :pok: COME ON VIC.

Bit of coarse sandpaper would fix the 'slippery' problem  :P :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 12:14:03 PM
Quote from: Mr. Whippy link=topic=24129.msg441472#msg441472

1.  No OHO blade

One more week to go. ;)

Well we have a fix for the OHO , Victorionx follows Bob/J-sew lead  :pok: :pok: COME ON VIC.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Yesterday, I needed to rough in a junction box. The wall is sheathed in wood not drywall. I really worked the Spirit.  Lack of a OHO blade is actually a major stumbling block.  To stop, inspect and then two hand open the butter knife is just not convenient--if this were to be routine carry, I would have to have a folder with me at all times.

The other shortcoming I didn't mention (because it is sort of fixable) is the lack of a pocket clip.

Back to the junction box however: After cutting out the hole, I had to clean it up a bit to get the gang box in.  At first I used the saw and file, which were quite good, especially the file.  But then it was down to fine fitment.  The chisel/multi edge tool was simply outstanding.  Leatherman NEEDS a tool like this.  Get rid of the little screw driver/bit holder and put one of these in! Then add the micro bit back as one of the standard bits in the regular bit driver.  :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 05:22:04 PM
Experiment over.  >:(

I had to clear the fuel lines on the diesel tractor.  Add a little diesel onto the surface of the Spirit and it's like trying to hold onto an eel  :rant:. Dropped the friggin' thing in the dirt--which means to avoid adding dirt to the clogged fuel line problem,  I had to get another pair of pliers. :-\

Once done, I then had to use my blue Farmer to bleed the lines.  After that, there was tractor work to do.  When I finished, I noticed the Farmer was missing  :ahhh

I spent an hour walking around the pasture, looking for the lost Farmer  :(

I finally found it, but the point is, oily stuff and Vic Spirits, just don't mix.  Back to the Charge for farm carry.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
The oho blade and pocket clip are huge. I never knew they would matter to me till I owned the new wave and now I won't dive up the convenience. Also I like the diamond file and the little driver but if the could put it in the larger driver it would add an extra tool. Also the charge plier open wider than most tools which is helpful on the machines at my work. Sog opens wide but than so do the handles and I can't get hand around the handles when that wide.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 06:39:37 PM
What a shame  :(  I ran a similar experiment during the summer with a Wave and a Spirit and the Spirit came out tops for me . To be honest I can't see alot of difference between Clip carry and Sheath carry . One hand opening I have to admit is a problem but this is nicely addressed with a Vic Dual Pro . While I have used the Spirit many times with wet hands without a problem I have never had oily or greasy hands but I can see there could be a problem there .What I really missed was the Awl on the Wave and the reach on the drivers and of course the Chissel on the Spirit is a winner .

Thanks for a good honest comparison . Sounds like the Chrarge is the tool for you but I hope you still carry the Spirit from time to time  :D

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 08:29:47 PM
The clip saves time all day. No opening and closing the sheath. But the biggie is that I don't have to find my belt, put it on and then the sheath. Now I just don't wear a belt unless my craftsman is riding on it. I can carry two tools if I want and only one on my belt.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 03:53:53 AM
Now that the dust has settled, here is the synopsis of my experience:

1.  Victorinox SwissTool Spirit

Pros:
  • Pliers ergos are outstanding. Really amazing.  It's not just the rounded metal, it's the curvature of the handles.  Much more comfortable than the Charge
  • The chisel tool.  Leatherman NEEDS this tool.  Extremely handy.

Overall, this would be an excellent tool for a carpenter, drywaller or electrician.  Excellent pliers, good saw, good file and that amazing chisel tool

The big downfall for this tool is actually fixable.  This tool is way too slippery for use in machinery settings.  It's actually dangerous if the thing fell into a gearbox.  Adding grippier inserts into the handles would go a long way to fix this.

Yes, a pocket clip would be a big plus, but really, the slipperiness is the biggest issue for me.

So, in short, a good tool, but in this iteration, just not a Farm tool. :cheers:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 04:23:12 AM
Whippy:  what about adding skateboarders' grip tape to the handles and try it for week 2?  That should help quite a bit, I'd imagine.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:42 PM

i found out that taping the handles with (any kind of) film helps a lot to enhance grip. one could use black electrician's tape or plain transparent Scotch adhesive film. the latter has also a protective function similar to protective films on cell phones, iphones, ipods. and also works great to remove greasy fingerprints from the polished stainless steel.

seriously me thinks that vinox should come up with a commercial after-market solution to protect the handles against scratches and to enhance the grip in the closed and deployed position.

for now, adhesive tape works fine. you need 4 stripes only.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:56 PM
I just ordered a spirit X. After this review, I think I might really like it, but honestly, any real world work I did with it would be electrician stuff. I'm never dealing with grease or oils.

I absolutely LOVE the high polish finish on it, but I do understand that's not necessarily the best idea for all applications.

While it might wreck the 'pretty' of the tool, do you think something like skateboard deck tape would solve the grip problems? And... ninja'd. Apparently, I didn't read page 2.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:14 PM
I like the Spirit, it is a sweet tool, but like Mr. Whippy, once it get oil, greese, or fuel on it, it becomes a wet bar of soap.
Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:59 PM
i was a skater powell peralta stuff. skateboard deck tape sticks nastily on smooth surfaces and tends to leave adhesive residues when one tries to remove the grip tape. well, maybe not too bad as i recall it. there are worse.

spontaneously i would think 'no i would not wanna try this' since any other film (or tape) with less nasty adhesives would do the trick too. whatever one finds in the household. black electrician's tape is harmless, not nasty, and provides a good amount of grip already. skateboard's deck tape would be the ultimate, most extreme measure for 100% guaranteed grip. of course that will work (ouch, your hand palms!!). not the best idea imho but as uttered in some karate kid(?) movie:

Extreme situations call for extreme measures!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:32:05 PM by kreisler »

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 10:49:14 PM
I spray painted the handles of my user swisstool with truck bed liner tuff coat paint. 

clean it off, tape the pivots, spray a little on.  Gives me a little extra grip.  Don't know if it would work against oil and grease though.

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 02:53:42 AM
Good review . Since I always have a folder , the blade is not really a concern for me . A clip should be part of the package , I have often thought of beadblasting the handles , the slipperyness is a real problem .

The ratchet driver thingy is cute , but I have a couple of Mac and Snap On 1/4" setups , + 1/4"hex bits . These are much more practical . I have used the Old skool Leatherman UTA in conjunction with the Spirit .

Chris

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:43 AM
Yea...

There's no way I'm coating the handles of my Spirit.  I bought it a few kilometers North of where my ancestors lived in Switzerland since at LEAST  the 1600's.  Purchased in Zug in canton Zug (which is north of Walchwil, my ancestral home).

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:00 PM
Whippy:  what about adding skateboarders' grip tape to the handles and try it for week 2?  That should help quite a bit, I'd imagine.

I was thinking the same thing. 

and as far as sticky residues are concerned; get some Goo Gone and it won't be a problem. Seriously, that stuff is magic! 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:58:39 PM by shamus »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD