Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Import Gerbers

Biru · 11 · 3010

Offline Biru

Import Gerbers
on: October 13, 2007, 08:05:14 PM
I've noticed that more and more Gerber knives are being manufactured in China. Are the multitools being made there as well? My Legend is USA-made, but I was wondering if the Legend is now Chinese-made.

Regards, Bill.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Import Gerbers
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 09:30:53 PM
I've noticed that more and more Gerber knives are being manufactured in China. Are the multitools being made there as well? My Legend is USA-made, but I was wondering if the Legend is now Chinese-made.

Regards, Bill.
I think it's the way of thing's now, it's just to damn expensive to pay westerners to make tools now, so I think most multi manufactures have some if not all componants made out east, which is fine by me as long as the quality remains the same and they can still offer the tool at a competative price :)

Even Victorinox has it's pouches made in mexico now :o (bloody good they are too ;))
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:12:00 AM
Micky hit it square on the head..it's uniform quality control that makes or breaks a reputation.And that is near an universal truth as you could get.I've owned and used more than one Gerber multi,and with few exceptional occasions haven't felt outgunned or under-equipped.In fact,my"armchair"mullti-tool is a Gerber 600;for those times when I'm too lazy to get up and head to the tool box
I

Offline cryptrick

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 01:17:43 PM
I'm not entirely certain so this may not be 100% accurate but I believe the MP400/MP600/Legend 800 are made in USA. The other tools like the Radius/Suspension/Resolve are all made in China.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:30:09 PM
I'm not entirely certain so this may not be 100% accurate but I believe the MP400/MP600/Legend 800 are made in USA. The other tools like the Radius/Suspension/Resolve are all made in China.

I believe that is the case. Also the Clutch/Shortcut are Chinese.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 03:08:19 AM
Unfortunately with the exception of Gerber Center Drive/Center Drive Plus, none of the other multi tools offered by Gerber are 100% USA made anymore.  Sure some models do have USA made components, but only the multi tools currently listed under Gerber's American manufacturing website.  Determining which components are American made and what aren't isn't often listed, but if I had to guess the  USA assembled with some domestic component multi tools, the knives are probably USA made.    As of 2019, only the MP400, MP600, including Pro Scout/Bladeless,  MP800 still have USA components.  After calling Gerber, I learned that the MP1 series has been discontinued in 2019 sometime.   

Simonds, the file company Gerber contracted with for a while, hasn't made any domestic files in well over a decade sadly.  Then again, to my knowledge, there hasn't been a hand file made in USA after Nicholson offshored labor years ago as well.   I've managed to locate some specific product images that  confirm my statements.

First Gerber MP450. 

As of 2016, based off the date on the cardboard packaging and this unit is now discontinued (2017/2018 is when this was discontinued I am guessing), the MP450 was assembled in USA with USA and Taiwan components.  Not surprising, the sheaths were made in China.   

Second is the Gerber MP400.  Still in production and I bought one in 2019.  There are two finishes, but the origin is one of the same. 

This is assembled here and has some USA components.  This package (2016?) merely lists "global components", but what I bought listed USA and Taiwan.  My guess is the knife is USA, jaws/scissors are made in Taiwan, but I have no idea about the slotted driver and Phillips though. 

Gerber MP1, which has been discontinued in 2019.

MP1 and I am willing to bet the MP1 Maintenance Pro are one in the same are assembled in USA with components from USA, Taiwan and China.  Personally the MP1 Maintenance Pro is one of my favorite multi tool's due to the prybar, knife design(s) and the locking system.  Decent wire cutters within reason.

Gerber MP600.  With the models with the carbide cutters, the replacement teeth are USA made.  Not sure about the screws/Torx wrench though. 

While similar to the Gerber MP400, this is assembled in USA with USA, Taiwanese and Chinese components.   Similar to MP400, these used to be stamped USA, but due to the FTC regulations, because there is foreign components, albeit I am not personally sure of the percentage, the USA engraving is gone. 

Gerber Legend MP800. 

While this unit is still in production according to the Gerber representative, despite the packaging being slighter older potentially, this unit is still assembled in USA with USA components. 

In 2016, Gerber released the Center Drive and is stamped made in USA.  With some models, this unit comes with a USA made leather sheath. 

2019 was when the Center Drive Plus came out.  This unit has scissors and a different knife design.  Still made in USA and the model I bought came with a USA made leather sheath. 

J-Sews is correct, the Gerber Clutch is made in China.

Gerber Balance, according to Blade Head Quarters is made in China.  This has been discontinued, not sure of the date.

Gerber Crucial, still in production as of 2019.

BladeHQ is a source of some information, albeit some of their information may not be 100% correct.  Case by case and this is challenging with discontinued items though.

Gerber Evo.  Made in China.  Still in production as of 2019.

Gerber Steady.  Made in China.  Discontinued and has been for a couple of years I am guessing. 

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:36 AM
Nice bump.   :tu:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 04:07:14 AM
While I did think of messaging one of the moderators, I had a feeling given I had some packaging information this would be relevant to this thread.   Apparently Blade HQ lists the MP Legend 800 as made in China, yet according to Gerber's own website, this unit is assembled in Portland Oregon and has some USA components. 

Whereas with Gerber Freehand, I found a video where the packaging lists this as made in China, yet another seemingly credible distributor lists this as made in USA.  This video is rather "grainy", but I can clearly see the letter c. 

Thank you as well.  This has taken some time and I imagine others will find this useful as well.  If nothing else, this is great for future research. 

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 11:54:18 AM
Always good to have detailed information. Thanks for taking the time to compile and share  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 06:44:45 PM
Very glad to share this information as I personally view this information as crucial.   What I respect about Gerber is they are transparent (for the most part) about the country of origin of their products.  If this isn't made in USA (with global materials), their site doesn't list this under the American manufacturing section. 

However finding accurate information about discontinued tools is quite the challenge and I strongly encourage everyone, not just with tools, but in other aspects to be skeptical about any information presented.   As I was told the Gerber Grappler was made in USA, but this was made in China and quality is horrid.  Same with Gerber Flik, this was also made in China also. 

As I've mentioned before, to each their own, but if possible I much rather support American manufacturing and keep Americans employed first and foremost.  Not knocking other countries, but as an American, my fellow Americans come first to me.  This benefits me far more in the long run than "saving" money potentially. 

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 07:11:16 AM
Update:  Finally found images confirming the Gerber Bull Rush 31-001749 was manufactured in China. 

I'll admit, this image isn't the most clear, however video footage of an Gerber FreeHand 22-01517 being removed from the packaging shows this unit was also made in China also.

While a distributor lists this unit as made in USA, the literal Gerber packaging disproves this information via a video from a channel named MultitoolComUa.  .

Just to preface I have zero affiliation with this channel. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%