Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What're you cranking now??

Splat · 18 · 2360

us Offline Splat

What're you cranking now??
on: October 14, 2007, 03:13:39 AM
Well?

Me?....... I'm cranking with full crankage of crankability King's X's first album "Out of The Silent Planet." Next will be a band from NJ, Xenon, 's'first album, "America's New Design."  Farking great stuff!   ;D
--
Splat
Splat

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What're you cranking now??
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:31:30 AM
Me, prolly the usual.  I just got in so I haven't put anything on yet.  Most likely a mix of classic and contemporary rock and metal, with a bit of blues mixed in.  I usually just haul some stuff at random into my playlist, then skip anything I am not in the mood to listen to at the time.

Man I love mp3's!  Best thing to happen to music since the cassette tape!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 04:37:18 AM
I hearz ya! I had a PC in my car beginning 1997 because I was sick of the radio. Two 40GB drives, filled to the rim with Brim!  :D  Every CD I owned was in my car, BUT...it was in Musepack(MPC) format. It blows away MP3. The MP3 craze won, though, and I finally, last year, bought an 80GB Ipod.  :(  What's nice is my Alpine h/u interfaces with it so I can remotely control the Ipod while it sits somewhat securely in the glove compartment. I can hear the difference between MPC and MP3, even at the best MP3 settings, but alas...MPC has all but fallen by the wayside. A victim of its authors laziness. There are those who carry the torch, but MP3 remains the frontrunner because it simply caught on. I think it was the catchy name. ;) Still, whatever format, you cannot beat having half your, if not your whole, music collection cruising along. I went from NJ to Georgia and back without hearing the same song twice. Now that!... was good.  :)
--
Splat
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 04:42:37 AM by Splat »
Splat

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:05 AM
I'm not only an old geezer,but a Luddite as well...I understood only a third of this so far :-[ Stuck on CDs and classic rock and '70s prog rock...it might be time for me to get in step with the 21st century.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 02:49:46 PM
I never really liked CD's much, and it has nothing to do with their quality.  I like convenience more than anything else, and CD's were too fragile to just take with you anywhere unless carefully sorted into a carrying case of some kind.  Cassettes you could just stick in your pocket and go.  Also, CD's had a nasty habit of skipping when used in the car or in a portable player when walking or running.  Sure they had that anti skip technology that read the CD so far ahead, but I found that was little more than a band aid solution at best.  Lastly, discmans and walkmans chewed up batteries like crazy. 

Mp3's on the other hand are convenient- I can choose what songs I want to listen to, put many hours of music into something the size of a pager, and since I stick to flash based players (no moving parts) one AAA battery can last about a week of constant playing.

The drawback to flash based players is they have smaller storage capacities than the hard drive players like most of the iPods out there.  My mp3 player has only got 512mb on board, but considering the average mp3 is less than 5mb, that means I get over 100 songs on it.  Then there's the SD card slot on the back of it, which allows me to add up to an 8 gig card.  I find another 512megs or even a one gig card is more than sufficient for me though.  Plus, with just a regular USB cable, I can plug my mp3 player into my car stereo, or I can slide teh SD card out of my mp3 player and into the card slot.  If I want to take more music, for example if I am going on a long car trip or on the train, I just load up a few more cards- I have quite a few since all three of my cameras take SD, my mp3 player and my wife's mp3 player take SD cards, my Palm takes SD cards, my PPC takes SD cards...

As a result, mp3's are sooooo much more convenient, I wonder how I ever put up with CD's as long as I did!  The best part is, if you somehow lose the player, you still have it all on your PC at home, whereas with CD's if you lost your player, or your car was stolen, you lost your music, and at the cost of CD's, well that could be pricey.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 02:59:41 PM
A bit of Goo Goo Dolls at the moment, saw them live earlier this year and they were great. Next i think a bit of Terrorvision is required. As to the CD vs mp3 thing, i buy all my music on cd's and then rip them to mp3's for the convenience, but i do like to just stick a CD on and listen to it all the way through.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 04:07:01 PM
I'm not only an old geezer,but a Luddite as well...I understood only a third of this so far :-[ Stuck on CDs and classic rock and '70s prog rock...it might be time for me to get in step with the 21st century.
You are not alone  in being a luddite I had vinyl lp's until not that long ago .My taste in music is pretty broad it depends on how I feel at the time usually a mix of 70's rock (Lynrd Skynrd are a fave ) some jazz and a little  classical when driving if it's busy helps deal with the urge to get out the car and strangle some half wit in a Corsa with no exhaust baffles and dance music thumping away (OOPS WRONG THREAD)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 05:33:57 PM
I still buy vinyl...there are still a lot of labels who release a new album on vinyl, and a lot of bootleg outfits do stuff on vinyl.  Tomorrow I should be getting a red 12" of Slayers Reign In Blood rehearsal...rare as hell, but someone found an old tape, cleaned it up, printed up a black and white cover, and put it on wax for $22.

Even albums I originally owned on CD that I really like I hunt down in vinyl...the sound is so much more wider..I can't explain it.  It's not so sterile as in a digital format.

Right now I'm "cranking" a MP3 of a shortwave radio show out of New York... ;D
[

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:30:19 PM
     I am listening to TobyMac as I type this reply.  I have Russ Lee, Newsong, Newsboys, and Casting Crowns on this computer.  I like the mp3 idea, put all of the songs you want to listen to on the computer and you are ready to listen.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 04:42:16 AM
Listened to NIN's Year Zero CD to and from work....

David

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 04:59:50 AM
Hehe... I went and busted out the funk today.  I spent most of the day listening to Bootsy Collins :)

Funking makes me happy :P  (www.bootsycollins.com)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:52:10 AM
Garbage for me (again) I go to the music shelf look at all my cd, but still I end up picking one of the garbage albums to listen too ::) ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cortiz1679

Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 05:00:29 PM
The Streets
Bloc Party
& Interpol
MP3s rule
Cds are to fragile 4 me to run around with like 3 or 4
Now when I get into some1 else’s car that has a cd player I am like what this song again!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 05:02:21 PM
Yeah, ID tags are another reason mp3's rule! :D

Def

Offline cortiz1679

Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 06:52:55 PM
OH man how could i 4 get that. i hate looking down at the radio to see track 3 :ahhh i want to know the name of the song, cd, and artist, my buddy had a radio that told him the play list too

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 08:43:29 PM
Yes, but that only works with certain stations that transmit a digital signal that includes ID tags.

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 10:52:29 PM
Had a good day today, so the dark music's having a break :D, so I'm chilling with Goldfrapp now, any other fan's out there???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 12:38:33 AM
Just saw The Departed last night so it's been The Dropkick Murphys Warrior Code all day today.  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%