Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Silver Tech. Removable scales?

gorupo · 16 · 7512

spam Offline gorupo

Victorinox Silver Tech. Removable scales?
on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:25 PM
I'm new to the forum and I've been searching for older posts but couldn't find an answer.

I have a Victorinox Silver Tech and the scales are very tattered now... I know how to remove the scales from classic models... this ones however, don't seem to come off that easily. Does any one know if there's a way to remove them without breaking them/ damaging the pins?

Thank you very much!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Silver Tech. Removable scales?
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:10:41 PM
Are the SilverTech scales on a knife sold by Victorinox, or were they by chance added to another model sold by an on-line vendor?  If they are not on an official model Victorinox offers with those scales it could be the vendor used epoxy to glue the scales on.

spam Offline gorupo

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:21 AM
They come just like that from Victorinox. I haven't mod anything. Just wondering if this particular model has the scales glued or anything.

You can see the pins through the transparent scale, but they won't come off by standar methods. Just looking for someone who may know before I tear'em off.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:55 AM
So this is a SilverTech Signature Lite model?  I bought some a while back with the plan to remove the scales for other models.  I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Update: I removed the scales, see attached photo, so at least on the official Signature Lite it's the same (see attached photo).  Now I'm 1/2 way to having a SilverTech Manager II.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:42:23 AM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:28:03 PM
The way I have remover scales in the past is, use the canopener to work the scale up.

are you on SOSAK online, they have a great article on removeing scales

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:40:46 PM
They should come off as well as on other models..

Once off you might want to have a play with removing the silver paint, it can lead to quite a nice effect :tu:

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:54:10 PM
Oh that looks cool.  Did you put something under the scale, or repainted to get the blue?

spam Offline gorupo

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:23:52 PM
Thank you very much people! I knew THIS was the place ;D

I'll try to take these off and post the results.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:02 PM
Oh that looks cool.  Did you put something under the scale, or repainted to get the blue?

I scraped the silver from the "ribs", its pretty tuff stuff.  I then polished the now clear sections relatively smooth before spray painting.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 08:10:09 PM

I scraped the silver from the "ribs", its pretty tuff stuff.  I then polished the now clear sections relatively smooth before spray painting.
Polishing and painting those sounds like it could be difficult if one is not use to those tasks on such a small scale.

I want to make a SilverTech Cybertool, but now I think I won't be happy unless the lines are black, since the larger scales are not quite as cool as the 58mm scales.  You're little enhancement though is perfect, it makes them very special.

spam Offline gorupo

Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:52:28 PM
Well... good news... the scales went off... the bad ones... (please take in consideration those owners of this model) it seemed to be VERY tight... more than other models. Even though I did it extremely carefully... a very small piece of the plastic holes around the pins chipped off.So now even if I repaint them it will look kind of damaged. So... I will stick to my original plan and will make some scales out of either wood or deer antler. Let's see what happens.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:53 PM
Oh dear. Are they really not usable :(

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:16 PM
It could be the plasic composition for these scales is different and not as flexible as the regular cellidor scales.

Wood or deer antler sounds great! Those would certainly be much nicer, but I presume you'll loose the pen and light.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:28 PM

Polishing and painting those sounds like it could be difficult if one is not use to those tasks on such a small scale.

I want to make a SilverTech Cybertool, but now I think I won't be happy unless the lines are black, since the larger scales are not quite as cool as the 58mm scales.  You're little enhancement though is perfect, it makes them very special.

What you really need is an enhanced CT with watch opener and modified silvertech scales  >:D

PM me for a quote when you can't take it any longer ;) :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:18 PM

What you really need is an enhanced CT with watch opener and modified silvertech scales  >:D

PM me for a quote when you can't take it any longer ;) :D
Your bad!  >:D   ....but good!  :cheers:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 09:03:08 PM

Yup :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%